What's new

Sort of good news. BfArM accepted defeat

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
http://www.pharmazeutische-zeitung.de/index.php?id=57279

"The Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices (BfArM) will not try to withdraw the authorization for kava kava-containing medications.This was announced by the Authority upon request.Background is a dispute between the BfArM and several pharmaceutical companies that manufacture products with the herbal anxiolytic Kava Kava.In 2007, the BfArM had revoked the approval Kava-Kava-containing and kavain-containing medication after taking this medication with severe liver damage in connection had been taken.On the other hand, however, manufacturers had successfully sued before the Administrative Court of Cologne.An appeal of the BfArM against the Cologne ruling rejected the Higher Administrative Court (OVG) North Rhine-Westphalia until the end of February 2015 back.The judge vacate the judgment for reasons now submitted Although a quite that kava kava preparations currently demonstrated an unfavorable risk-benefit ratio have, so patients could hurt quite.However, this fact does not justify withdrawal of approval.Instead, these should be changed so that risks are future minimized by proper application.Thus, the latter based at BfArM Commission E recently self-determined specifications recommended: Patients should get kava kava preparations therefore only with a prescription and a maximum of two months in a take dosage of 60-120 kavapyrones.Also need to be reviewed during the treatment continued while the liver of the patient.Before taking should neither liver disease or -vorschädigung be, nor should the patient swallow or drink much alcohol potentially hepatotoxic drugs such as beta blockers, antidepressants and migraine drugs.In all cases in which patients were demonstrably harmed by kava kava preparations at least one of these risk factors have been present, argue the judges.a sensible alternative to other psychotropic drugs such as antidepressants or benzodiazepines case of slight presented to moderate generalized anxiety disorder kava kava preparations is, says the court ruling.For severe anxiety disorders or depression that means is, however, not suitable.The BfArM will now insert Although no further appeal against the decision of the court, according to a spokesman.With regard to the safety of patients, however, it planned measures to limit the risks of kava kava ingestion.As these rules look like the BfArM will announce in a timely manner.(Ah)02.04.2015 l PZPhoto: Fotolia / Heike Rau" [google translate]

I think it may be bad news. Kava will be prescription only meaning it will be in the hands of Pharmaceutical companies...we will just have to wait and see if any other information is forthcoming for now.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
http://www.deutsche-apotheker-zeitu...will-kava-kava-zulassungen-aendern/15473.html

The Authority now intends to amend the approvals in several respects:
Dosage: maximum daily dose for adults is 120 mg kava pyrones / Not suitable for children under the age of 18
Duration of treatment: usually one month, no more than two
Warning: cases of liver damage or even liver failure known fatal, have to avoid liver values (GPT and y-GT) before starting treatment and during treatment 1x determined weekly, determining the end is recommended
Interaction Note: possible interactions with substrates and inhibitors, as well as potentially hepatotoxic medications, especially beta-blockers and antidepressants; Alcohol should be avoided
Pack size restriction to 30 single doses with a maximum daily dose of 120 mgAs a further risk mitigation measures, the authority will direct the use and provision of educational materials for patients. In consultation letter also points out that the decision of the announced changes will be implemented immediately, so with access levels of the plan notification, will be enforceable (§ 30 para. 3 sentence 4 AMG). Medicines that do not comply with the new provisions, likely from this time - even with appeals - are forbidden to be placed on the market.
by google translate

So as you can see, all is worse now. You can really feel how defiant Bfarm acts, like a little child. The way they want to regulate kava with 1x weekly bloodwork..cmon that is ridiciolous.

Ordering kava powder in germany is technically still legal (the seller acts illegally) but in practice, buyers often get hassled by authority (= police raids) if they try to buy medication on the internet they aren't supposed to buy.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
The thing is, this is so TYPICALLY GERMAN. Everyone is trying to please everyone. The court demanding a stronger regulation is simply in place to appease bfarm. I don't understand how you can, with all the data, argue, that Benzodiazepines are still better than Kava. OR that KAva is worse than paracetamole which can be gotten OTC. Now with Kava being RX, it will stay RX FOREVER. Why? Simple. The court has made the suggestion to make it a prescription medication. Why would it argue otherwise in a year or two....? The "liver toxicity cases" will never disapear. The only thing that can happen is studies coming out saying that kava is excellent for anxiety....oh wait a minute, that already happened.

verticity

I'm interested in things
So of course Germany, ever logical, will impose similar restrictions on alcohol to prevent cirrhosis ... right? Stop laughing.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
It's totally hypocritical and purely political. I have no idea why the hell they picked kava as their favourite demon. Maybe it's just a cultural thing...the reason kava remains legal in the US is hawaii. I really hope for the rest of europe, that other countries won't follow germanys lead. But then, they always do, like zombies.

It seems like i have to treat my remaining kava as gold...for emergencies and as a rare treat.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Oh goodie, the old liver damage line. Are we seriously dealing with a few spurned bureaucrats who can't admit they were wrong?

river

Kava Curious
So typical.
Making laws and regulations based on nonsense and when they can't deny the stupidity of it any longer, just pile up some more laws and regulations. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
What happens with you poor folks now? Kava being sold by the Mary Jane dealer?
Right now I'm glad I left years ago.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
What happens with you poor folks now? Kava being sold by the Mary Jane dealer?
How many people do still drink the real kava drink in germany? I mean on a regular basis.... 10? 20? 50?
There is no market to deal it on the streets. You'll still be able to import it from a few vendors but it's risky business. While it is not legal, it does not carry a penalty if you'd import it from say GKE. But they can just say you were trying to sell it within germany and then they can just go through your stuff, take your computer and traumatize everyone in the process . They are doing this on purpose to scare people away from buying this stuff. There have been many cases ...they can't charge offenders for it, so they're trying to hurt and traumatize as many as possible.... Why? Because these stupid beurocrats demand attention and need people to submit to their stupidity.

Otherwise it wouldn't be fun!
Let's all create more hurt & pain in this world!
Everyone can contribute!