What's new

Spoiled Kava Brew

Bert07

Me like da kava
I've got some 5-day old brew left in my fridge and don't really know how to determine whether it's drinkable or not. I can't see old kava causing anything serious besides some bad stomach issues, however I'd rather try and avoid that. In your past experiences, how long has your leftover brew lasted for under proper storage? Also, what are the indicators that it shouldn't be consumed? Will spoiled kava brew have a very noticeable "off" smell/taste to it or is it more subtle? Any changes in look and consistency?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
in a fridge that's set to to a cold setting close to 33 deg. F ...it could probably last that long.
kava unrefrigerated will turn over night. it gets a soured taste / smell ... i don't know if its actually bad to drink or if it just tastes worse though.

the same thing will happen in the fridge eventually too...so give it a little taste test, if you don't wanna toss it.

D

Deleted User01

I have kept "bottled" kava in the fridge for 2 weeks. The bottle had a lock cap. It can taste slightly funky but not that much funkiness than it already started with.
Give it a taste. :eek: or :hungry: Are you feeling lucky?

Bert07

Me like da kava
I tried it and everything was all right (y). Obviously not as fresh but I couldn't complain - the effects were still there and barely any stomach discomfort. I always keep my brew in mason jars in a fridge set to a high temp setting. I guess I'm doing something right.

LoGun4340

Kava Curious
Working in the kitchen having people forget when they made something and not labeling you learn to use your senses and intuition sometimes. I start with the smell test to see if i'm comfortable with a follow up taste test. if it smells sour that's usually a no go, same with the taste.

Edit: forgot to add besides temperature bacteria grows faster with high water content, loves sugar and hates acidity. so a normal prep with root and water made with clean hands and equipment should last in a cold fridge for a week at the very least. probably more but I have been conditioned to be on the safe side.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I find prepared kava, even in the fridge, gets a pretty manky taste after 24 hours, but is still drinkable.