What's new

Kava Preparation Squanch is an oily grog!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Yup, like what you find in little puddles under a 92 Honda Accord, but the taste is a bit more harsh.

Squanch in a blender prep is a very powerful kind of krunk, IME. I like to do 4 TBS in 2/3 liquid, half water half coconut milk. Still tastes like, em.... Squanch. But I can get it down. I'll repeat it once every 45 minutes to an hour, but adding a fresh TBS root to the old stuff, same liquid ratio (I blend for 30 seconds then let it sit for 10 minutes then strain) . I can keep it going like that for 5 iterations. I think I might have done a 6th once. It's quite something, IAE. Bula!

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Interesting how you do your blender prep. I chuck it all in similar ratios, but then let it go for a solid four minutes and strain. @Ibbygirl says it's very forgiving and I'm inclined to agree! Seems difficult to mess this one up.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Interesting how you do your blender prep. I chuck it all in similar ratios, but then let it go for a solid four minutes and strain. @Ibbygirl says it's very forgiving and I'm inclined to agree! Seems difficult to mess this one up.
yup four minutes of blending will work. And then you can just strain right away and chug. If you do the shorter blending then it does have to sit for a while after. What I do is 5 quick one second pulses, then a 20 second long pulse, then 5 more short 1 second pulses, then, as I say, it has to sit for ten minutes before straining. No benefit to letting it sit longer, though.

superspeedkit

Kava Curious
4 minutes blending? I blend for like 15 seconds. I have a vitamix, I'm afraid to blend longer than that, I don't want to accidentally micronise the kava.
Yea, I have a nutri ninja and just leave it on for a minute. Ended up stopping that method since the dermo got kind of bad. I'll have to give it another go with 15 seconds instead.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Yea, I have a nutri ninja and just leave it on for a minute. Ended up stopping that method since the dermo got kind of bad. I'll have to give it another go with 15 seconds instead.
My blender isn't very powerful or sharp. It just makes a nice mud. I wouldn't use my blender for smoothies or ice or anything. It just does lots of swirling. :happy:

Krunkaroo

Kava Enthusiast
Well, Vitamix is a powerful machine, you might want to leave it in the nutri ninja for 30 seconds. Best of luck!

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Okay, so I finally tried this stuff. I have to say I am impressed by all the things noted in the above observations: price, potency, the strength of the second wash. However, man... I hate to say anything negative, but I guess I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said above... that taste. It isn't bad in the sense of the kava itself tasting bad because of being too peppery or to bitter... It tastes like the roots were pulled out of the dirt and thrown straight into the grinder with big clods of topsoil on them...

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Okay, so I finally tried this stuff. I have to say I am impressed by all the things noted in the above observations: price, potency, the strength of the second wash. However, man... I hate to say anything negative, but I guess I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said above... that taste. It isn't bad in the sense of the kava itself tasting bad because of being too peppery or to bitter... It tastes like the roots were pulled out of the dirt and thrown straight into the grinder with big clods of topsoil on them...
Squanch tastes like new jersey's old gym socks.