What's new

Standard FDA Disclaimer

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
The posts on this forum or any other Kava Lounge are the personal opinions and experiences of the respective posters and are not endorsed by anyone else, or potentially even the poster.
None of the statements on any forum in this web site have been evaluated by the FDA, nor the British Royal Family (TM).

Furthermore, none of the statements in this web site should be
construed as dispensing medical advise, making claims regarding the cure
of or prevention of diseases.  You,
the kavasseur, must listen to your body and use common sense when drinking kava. You should consult a licensed health care
professional before starting any supplement, dietary, or exercise
program, especially if you are pregnant or have any pre-existing liver, psychological, or medical conditions.Furthermore, the FDA sucks.  They are the government arm of Big Pharma.  They sued Diamond Walnuts for linking to peer reviewed scientific studies on the benefits of walnuts.  http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_26095.cfm

kl.cuvtixo

Kava Curious
There are already disclaimers on some products about using kava while on antidepressants.
But I do think it worthwhile to talk with a doctor about trying kava while taking them.  I don't think the possibility should be automatically discounted. 
I understand why vendors would be nervous, but I don't think there is actually any evidence that they interfere with any of the anti-ds, including SSRIs, tricyclics and MOAIs .  If someone knows of any study or other evidence please post about it. Someone who isn't me would be very interested.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
It is very difficult to be depressed when drinking kava, when having an orgasm, or when crush your enemies -- Seeing them driven before you, and hearing the lamentation of their women!

Kava gives me something to look forward to, something to love, something to believe in, something to lift me up when I'm feeling sad.  I'd never take another antidepressant, because I'll never need an antidepressant.

kl.pep4848

Kava Curious
i'm on an ssri currently, and don't notice any 'bad' side effects from my kava consumption. I've been consuming nightly for roughly 2 months now, so i'm sure by now i'd notice something...

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Some questions to consider before using any herbal remedy.

Have I done my research on the herb?

What condition am I taking the herb for?

Am I taking any medications or herbs that may affect the herbs functioning?

Do I have any pre-existing conditions that are contraindicated?

Am I pregnant, nursing, or trying to conceive?

Have a spoken with my physician, a naturopathic doctor, or an herbalist before taking the herb?

Do I know the proper dosage of the herb?

Sent from my DROID4 using Yuku app

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
This is why the FDA Warning on kava pills still stands strong, and should stand strong as long as people are making and marketing kava pills. (From http://www.hanahou.com/pages/magazine.asp?MagazineID=&Action=DrawArticle&ArticleID=1122&Page=3)

The University of Minnesota team also looked into the link between ‘awa and liver damage and found something salient: “We noticed that the commercial preparation of ‘awa has quite a different composition compared to the traditionally prepared water mix or coconut water mix,” says Xing. The group obtained both traditional ‘awa infusions and several brands of commercially prepared ‘awa, broke them into “fractions,” analyzed the components of each fraction and fed the different fractions to different groups of mice. “The mice that got the traditional kava survived okay,” says Xing. “But the mice that got the extra components from commercial kava not detectable in traditional kava were immobilized really quickly and died.” In fact, he adds, they died too quickly to determine whether liver damage had occurred: “The extra components in commercial kava are definitely more toxic. Whether they are more liver-toxic, we don’t know at this point.”

kl.pep4848

Kava Curious
so i wonder if ingestion via instant kava (sold through Bula) or any of the extracts would be considered 'commercial'?  Does anyone think we should be worried about consuming this type of kava?

krunkedout

Kava Lover
pep4848 said:
so i wonder if ingestion via instant kava (sold through Bula) or any of the extracts would be considered 'commercial'?  Does anyone think we should be worried about consuming this type of kava?
doubt it. Instant kava is just evaporated juice of the kava root so I don't see how it would be different then say fresh kava.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Specifically, the problem is with solvents. Nakamal@Home/Bulah/Vanuatu Kava Store are all selling evaporated fresh kava juice prepared with water. Paradise is using a supercritical carbon dioxide extraction. Not sure what Ozia is using for the extraction process.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
This Yuku group is intended for bipedal primates to discuss their experiences, concerns, questions, frustrations, and joys. Any sharing of kava with non-primates is at the sole risk of the primate in question.