What's new

Kava Poll Strainer Bag Preference??

What type of strainer bag do you prefer?

• Nylon 75 micron

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Nylon 100 micron

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Nylon 150 micron

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nylon 200 micron

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Organic Cotton

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kava Vinaka

Kava Vendor
Bula Kava Fam!

Kava Vinaka is looking to begin selling strainer bags for kava. We want to hear from YOU! We have options in different size Nylon mesh as well as an Organic cotton strainer bag. We would love to know what other avid kava users prefer when making their kava!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Thanks for adding 75 micron to the list @Krunʞy. I am surprised to hear that actually. I would’ve thought people would want the Organic Cotton. I’m guessing because it is not as fine and durable?
Some people prefer it , yeah I like it for the durability. Mine lasts me 1 - 1 1/2 years.

Kava Vinaka

Kava Vendor
Food grade nylon is perfectly safe and far more durable, easier to clean consistent than cotton (organic or not). Plus you really can't control the mesh count with any of the natural fibres. I suppose hemp/cotton etc work fine with coarser grind kava, after some soaking. But with finer grind powders 75-100 micron is ideal.
Very well put. I can see the long term durability and cleaning be a great plus for the nylon.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Most of my experience with strainer bags is from Kavafied. I have their small 100 micron bag which I use sometimes and their much larger rounded-bottom bag with the plastic hoop that measures 75 microns. I've found I enjoy how smooth of a grog I get with the 75 microns.

An honorable mention goes to the strainer bags Bula Kava House once sold with the neat designs. Those are sturdy and I'm not afraid I'll break mine whenever I decide it's a traditional prep day. No idea if there was ever a micron count on those bags but the end results never disappointed.

Kava Vinaka

Kava Vendor
Most of my experience with strainer bags is from Kavafied. I have their small 100 micron bag which I use sometimes and their much larger rounded-bottom bag with the plastic hoop that measures 75 microns. I've found I enjoy how smooth of a grog I get with the 75 microns.

An honorable mention goes to the strainer bags Bula Kava House once sold with the neat designs. Those are sturdy and I'm not afraid I'll break mine whenever I decide it's a traditional prep day. No idea if there was ever a micron count on those bags but the end results never disappointed.
Appreciate your thoughts! If the bags were both at 75 micron, would you prefer the long and skinny bags or the short ones?

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
I've been using the big 75 micron nylon monofilament one from Kavafied for years. I just recently got filter bags on Amazon to keep as a backup. I think they were marketed for fish tanks. I like the nylon because it doesn't seem to get stiff/sticky as quickly as cotton. It's interesting bc cotton is supposed to be stronger when it's wet, which is one reason why US dollar bills have some cotton in them for durability... But I found when using the same cotton one repeatedly it got gradually coated in root resin over time, making me have to squeeze harder. I think that ultimately makes it more prone to bursting mid mix.

This might totally be a personal quirk, but I think cotton is better for gauging donness. You can easily feel when the strainer is oily and still has a few squeezes left in it, and then also once it is spent and feels like a hacky-sack.

I think it's worth having a few cotton or other cloth ones that you can launder and rotate as well as a nylon one that you can just dunk in soapy water between uses.

Kava Vinaka

Kava Vendor
I'd lean towards tall ones. I tend to keep the open end of the bag outside of the container I'm kneading my grog in so that there's no chance of grind shifting out of the bag. I don't exactly trust the drawstring on the bag I have.
That is what I was thinking as well. I want to go with a longer nylon bag. Something like a 6"x12".

Kava Vinaka

Kava Vendor
I've been using the big 75 micron nylon monofilament one from Kavafied for years. I just recently got filter bags on Amazon to keep as a backup. I think they were marketed for fish tanks. I like the nylon because it doesn't seem to get stiff/sticky as quickly as cotton. It's interesting bc cotton is supposed to be stronger when it's wet, which is one reason why US dollar bills have some cotton in them for durability... But I found when using the same cotton one repeatedly it got gradually coated in root resin over time, making me have to squeeze harder. I think that ultimately makes it more prone to bursting mid mix.

This might totally be a personal quirk, but I think cotton is better for gauging donness. You can easily feel when the strainer is oily and still has a few squeezes left in it, and then also once it is spent and feels like a hacky-sack.

I think it's worth having a few cotton or other cloth ones that you can launder and rotate as well as a nylon one that you can just dunk in soapy water between uses.
75 micron is what i am leaning towards. Interesting fact about the US dollar bills, didn't know that. The nylon samples I have are 6x10, 8x10 and 10x10. I am leaning towards 6x10. thoughts?