What's new

Strainer Preference

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Hi guys. Looking for a little kava drinker feedback. I know some of you have experimented with different strainers over the years. What micron size do you prefer to allow the perfect amount of sediment to pass through without making your grog too muddy?

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Ksnz strainers seem very good to me, fit for all purposes.

I don't recall the micron off top of my head, but much more transparent than the Kalmwithkava one I owned for a while, which was like a white non-transparent material cloth in contrast.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi guys. Looking for a little kava drinker feedback. I know some of you have experimented with different strainers over the years. What micron size do you prefer to allow the perfect amount of sediment to pass through without making your grog too muddy?
I just want the old Fijian bags back :) Glad I bought 5 those years ago.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I've been using Aluballs lately but I've got one of those huge, fancy Kavafied strainers with the plastic hope. That one's 75 microns. I haven't used a 100 micron one lately to compare the two.
View attachment 11036 This is my preferred strainer! It's Fiji'an style, from Bula Kava House, and @Kapmcrunk gave it to me. It's the best, though I also like the strainers from Cactus and have experience using a couple hundred meters of cheesecloth.

Bula!
Yeah, I have one of those too! I should whip mine out and make some traditional prep-style kava with it. I like how rough and tough you can handle it. It's also aesthetic AF. Plain white strainer bags make you go through the motions much faster.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
My head and wallet love 100 microns, my skin likes 70 microns. I tend to use both....70-75 helps to keep the dermo away, but that first shell just doesn't hit as hard and fast as I like. So in general I use 100 until the snow storm of skin becomes unbearable.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
We love our Fijian strainer bags, but had a hell of a time finding someone to make them. Trying to use someone locally. We used to have a kava bar employee do it, but she moved on to other things.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I like the aesthetic of the pattern as you do, Fait. Having a pattern, with colors, is inspiring to help set the mood. The parts of the strainer that may or may not be stained gold and brown. I want you to join the Kava Ceremony's on Wednesday and Saturday, please!