What's new

Strange new dermopathy symptoms.

Jerome

Kava Lover
Hey chuggers.. long time no post.

I recently went through a bag of micronized 11 year a little too quickly. After about day four my eyes got dry and my joints hurt horribly...

A couple days later I've got crazy bags under my eyes and dark circles, I looked like I'd been in a bad fight!

Then dry itchy skin all over my neck and back with raised bumps.

Well the eyes scared me and I stopped drinking for two days and its easing.

I've never had it that bad in over twenty years of drinking kava! Lesson learned!

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
With all this "dry" talk on the subject, like on the skin, eyes, etc, I wonder if my recent symptoms might be related.
I have been getting very bad dry mouth. But it happens mainly during the night when I'm sleeping. All the way until I wake up.
I keep waking up with dry mouth so bad, that I have to swish water in my mouth several times during the night.
On top of that, I get phlegm or mucus built up while my throat is dry, and have to keep spitting and hacking it out, especially when I wake up.
Another thing that might be related, is once in a while, I get this bad and mysterious taste in my mouth, that I can't get rid of, no matter what I do, until it goes away on its own, until it randomly comes back again.
Could any of this be related to kava ?

Zaphod

Kava Lover
With all this "dry" talk on the subject, like on the skin, eyes, etc, I wonder if my recent symptoms might be related.
I have been getting very bad dry mouth. But it happens mainly during the night when I'm sleeping. All the way until I wake up.
I keep waking up with dry mouth so bad, that I have to swish water in my mouth several times during the night.
On top of that, I get phlegm or mucus built up while my throat is dry, and have to keep spitting and hacking it out, especially when I wake up.
Another thing that might be related, is once in a while, I get this bad and mysterious taste in my mouth, that I can't get rid of, no matter what I do, until it goes away on its own, until it randomly comes back again.
Could any of this be related to kava ?
It is possible. I now keep a Gatorade or something similar by my bed all night because I find my through often dry. I also get some stuffiness and mucus/phlegm from certain kavas. I find nasal spray or neti pots can be useful to flush out before bed as well. The phlegm in the throat right after drinking is a very common problem and I think folks have said most true nakamals have a spit trough.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I've never heard of joints being affected but I guess they are lubricated with liquid so if you were very dehydrated quite possibly.
The other symptoms I think are fairly normal when taking in lots of sediment like from micronised. I used to get a similar mummified-style appearance when working in Tonga - drinking very fine grind kava with a lousy strainer. It took 3-4 days of abstinence to rehydrate.
I don't like Micro for that reason - its basically just toss n wash with a very fine grind - strong & convenient but not for regular drinking or the symptoms you described will come along.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
It is possible. I now keep a Gatorade or something similar by my bed all night because I find my through often dry. I also get some stuffiness and mucus/phlegm from certain kavas. I find nasal spray or neti pots can be useful to flush out before bed as well. The phlegm in the throat right after drinking is a very common problem and I think folks have said most true nakamals have a spit trough.
Thanks for the insight !
The night-time dry throat is a Catch-22, because I simultaneously have a night-time problem of multiple bathroom trips.
Those are a nuisance, and if I lubricate my throat by drinking water during the night, then the bathroom trips may be unbearable.
But I havn't tried the nasal spray or neti pots, I will look into that. Thanks again.
Something else, I'm experiencing with is, an essential oil diffuser.
Anyhow, thanks for letting me know I'm not too abnormal of a case !

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
If you want to protect your joints against arthritis or arthrosis, I suggest a boron supplement, or raisins and plums that are rich in boron, potassium and other micronutrients. If you are an avocado aficionado or hazelnut hoarder, then these should work also. In 2 months because they are micronutrients not drugs.

If there's inflammation, then something from the list of Boswellia, Curcuma or Uncaria. The last one is less researched.

Kavavan

I have been there. It's for sure you dehydrated yourself and didn't know it. Drink a lot of fluids; you need electrolytes. And not sure if you meant it was 11 years old, expired type of thing, or if it's mature, but you probably have some oxidation and bacteria in there also.. keep it fresh and don't overdo it; micro is faster in bringing on dermopathy I find. I also feel if you skip the emulsifier step, you tend to take too much to get effects and your body seems to have some trouble digesting or clearing out of the system. My experience and opinion,