What's new

Kava Fact of the Day Strongest kava?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The Strongest Kava?

What is the strongest kava on the market? This question is asked quite commonly on the various platforms dedicated to kava. Is there an actual answer to this question? The active chemicals in kava, kavalactones, are known to be what gives kava its effect. These 6 chemicals occur in different ratios and different total amounts and account for 96% of kava’s psychoactive activity (Sarris, LaPorte, and Schweitzer 2011). It is well known that the kavalactones in the kava plant depend on varieties, part, age, location, orientation of the plant and time of harvest (Wang et al. 2015). Due to the difference in physiological effect from each kavalactone, as well as the possible entourage effect from them all, each kava will exert its own unique set of effects. It is true that kava is soporific, or tends to induce drowsiness or sleep, however some kavas may tend to exert a stronger effect in this area over others. This is due to the increase in certain kavalactones over others. In previous facts of the day we spoke about chemotype, and how they play into the physiological effects that kava can provide, here we touch back on that when speaking about perceived kava “strength”. Kavas with a 4 at the beginning will denote a kava with a higher kavain content, and as such may feel differently or less sedative to those that start with the number 2 (dihydrokavain). Kava percentages can vary up to ~20% of the total weight of the dry root and we must keep in mind that these percentages can vary quite widely between kavalactones in their ratios.

So, is there an answer to this? That totally depends on what you consider “strong”. Is a strong kava to you one that instantly relaxes you or is a strong kava one that creeps up on you and keeps you welded to the couch? As you can imagine this question is highly personal, and as such is quite undefinable. The answer is and will always be “the strongest kava on the market will be the one you find the strongest for you”. Each person will find the answer to this question differently. My suggestion is, if you’re new, to try small amounts of kava from each vendor, or a sample pack if available. One person’s “most unnoteworthy kava ever” may be your favorite of all time. Just as each kava is different, so are we. Each kava has its own set of strengths and subtle effects which find each kava drinker a bit differently.

Sarris, Jerome, Emma LaPorte, and Isaac Schweitzer. 2011. “Kava: A Comprehensive Review of Efficacy, Safety, and Psychopharmacology.” The Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 45 (1): 27–35.
https://doi.org/10.3109/00048674.2010.522554.

Wang, Jun, Weiyue Qu, Harry C. Bittenbender, and Qing X. Li. 2015. “Kavalactone Content and Chemotype of Kava Beverages Prepared from Roots and Rhizomes of Isa and Mahakea Varieties and Extraction Efficiency of Kavalactones Using Different Solvents.” Journal of Food Science and Technology 52 (2): 1164–69.
https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-013-1047-2.

Last edited:

faldho

Kava Curious
One person’s “most unnoteworthy kava ever” may be your favorite of all time.
This is something that I keep seeing as I read kava reviews. Some Kavas can feel almost opposite in effect. It was worth it for me to learn what you can get out of a chemotype, though I can see why it's not for everyone (I had to takes notes!).
I appreciate sellers like Kalm with Kava writing the effects of their Kavas so people know what they are getting.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
The Strongest Kava?

What is the strongest kava on the market? This question is asked quite commonly on the various platforms dedicated to kava. Is there an actual answer to this question? The active chemicals in kava, kavalactones, are known to be what gives kava its effect. These 6 chemicals occur in different ratios and different total amounts and account for 96% of kava’s psychoactive activity (Sarris, LaPorte, and Schweitzer 2011). It is well known that the kavalactones in the kava plant depend on varieties, part, age, location, orientation of the plant and time of harvest (Wang et al. 2015). Due to the difference in physiological effect from each kavalactone, as well as the entourage effect from them all (Showman et al. 2015), each kava will exert its own unique set of effects. It is true that kava is soporific, or tends to induce drowsiness or sleep, however some kavas may tend to exert a stronger effect in this area over others. This is due to the increase in certain kavalactones over others. In previous facts of the day we spoke about chemotype, and how they play into the physiological effects that kava can provide, here we touch back on that when speaking about perceived kava “strength”. Kavas with a 4 at the beginning will denote a kava with a higher kavain content, and as such may feel differently or less sedative to those that start with the number 2 (dihydrokavain). Kava percentages can vary up to ~20% of the total weight of the dry root and we must keep in mind that these percentages can vary quite widely between kavalactones in their ratios.

So, is there an answer to this? That totally depends on what you consider “strong”. Is a strong kava to you one that instantly relaxes you or is a strong kava one that creeps up on you and keeps you welded to the couch? As you can imagine this question is highly personal, and as such is quite undefinable. The answer is and will always be “the strongest kava on the market will be the one you find the strongest for you”. Each person will find the answer to this question differently. My suggestion is, if you’re new, to try small amounts of kava from each vendor, or a sample pack if available. One person’s “most unnoteworthy kava ever” may be your favorite of all time. Just as each kava is different, so are we. Each kava has its own set of strengths and subtle effects which find each kava drinker a bit differently.

Sarris, Jerome, Emma LaPorte, and Isaac Schweitzer. 2011. “Kava: A Comprehensive Review of Efficacy, Safety, and Psychopharmacology.” The Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 45 (1): 27–35.
https://doi.org/10.3109/00048674.2010.522554.

Showman, Angelique F., Jonathan D. Baker, Christina Linares, Chrystie K. Naeole, Robert Borris, Edward Johnston, Jerry Konanui, and Helen Turner. 2015. “Contemporary Pacific and Western Perspectives on `awa (Piper Methysticum) Toxicology.” Fitoterapia 100 (January): 56–67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fitote.2014.11.012.

Wang, Jun, Weiyue Qu, Harry C. Bittenbender, and Qing X. Li. 2015. “Kavalactone Content and Chemotype of Kava Beverages Prepared from Roots and Rhizomes of Isa and Mahakea Varieties and Extraction Efficiency of Kavalactones Using Different Solvents.” Journal of Food Science and Technology 52 (2): 1164–69.
https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-013-1047-2.
When you wrote- "Due to the difference in physiological effect from each kavalactone, as well as the entourage effect from them all (Showman et al. 2015), each kava will exert its own unique set of effects."
I do not think that was what was implied in that paper you cite (Showman et. al. 2015)
What was written in that paper (bold added) --"However, the physiological (and possibly pathophysiological) effects of kava may be underestimated by a unilateral focus upon the kavalactones.... . Similarly, the `awa field may now benefit from examination of the P. methysticum ‘entourage’ ".

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
When you wrote- "Due to the difference in physiological effect from each kavalactone, as well as the entourage effect from them all (Showman et al. 2015), each kava will exert its own unique set of effects."
I do not think that was what was implied in that paper you cite (Showman et. al. 2015)
What was written in that paper (bold added) --"However, the physiological (and possibly pathophysiological) effects of kava may be underestimated by a unilateral focus upon the kavalactones.... . Similarly, the `awa field may now benefit from examination of the P. methysticum ‘entourage’ ".
You know, you're right. That spot in the paper just sorta gives questions as to what "might" be. I'm going to remove that reference and adjust the text.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
What drives me crazy is hearing that a particular cultivar is "weak" or "strong", when it often boils down to that particular shipment of the product. Today's fresh shipment of Borogu from Vanuatu may be weaker or stronger than tomorrow's shipment of Borogu from Vanuatu, from the same farmer! Food for thought.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
What drives me crazy is hearing that a particular cultivar is "weak" or "strong", when it often boils down to that particular shipment of the product. Today's fresh shipment of Borogu from Vanuatu may be weaker or stronger than tomorrow's shipment of Borogu from Vanuatu, from the same farmer! Food for thought.
Don't worry, we've all forgotten about that whole Cactus Kava thing :ROFLMAO:

markosheehan

Kava Curious
The reason this get's asked so much is I feel there can be a dramatic variation in potency and a lot of kava out there leaves people disappointed with the potency and they don't get the desired effects. Thats why this question gets asked so much and people are obsessed with potency of kava compared to other herbal psychoactive substances.

krunkgod

Kava Enthusiast
I fully believe this as I've had tongan kava that came in at around 6.5-7% kavalactones and was ten times better than some of the 9-10+% cultivars I've sampled. Really comes down to how you in particular process it.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
all I know was that one of the best kavas I ever had was a Tongan kwk refused to sell because it wasn’t strong enough. I found it perfect, as well as delicious. By varying the water ratio I could make it as strong as I would like. That’s the thing, the strength depends on how you particularly feel at that moment and the way you prepared it … as well as, if course, whatever profile that strain has.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
The Micronesian sakau appears to be quite strong

The resulting beverage is a very thick and strong kava beverage which is estimated to contain approximately 500mg of Kavalactones per serving. It was observed by Blallick et al., that the average male Sakau drinker would spend nearly 5 1/2 hours drinking over 8 servings of Sakau totally over 4,000mg of Kavalactones in a single sitting, making Pohnpeans are the heavy weight champions of the kava drinking world.