What's new

Stuffy nose from grog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmessier

Kava Enthusiast
Anyone else get this? As soon as I start shelling my nose amd sinuses get all clogged amd runny. I can only figure its from the taste. I start coughing and slightly gagging the moment I smell it. Its like my body has this reaction like "oh man not this again". I force my way through it because of course I love the way it makes me feel but Im wondering if anyone else goes through the nose thing.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
It's fairly common and it's not from the taste. I get the runny nose pretty bad with some types. Usually within minutes after each shell.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
My nose may run a tiny bit but it dries it out generally. Stuffy seems odd to me, but not utterly bizarre. Curious if dry or stuffy nose is more typical.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
Every. Single. Time. It's annoying!! Sometimes it is so bad that I need to snort up some nasal spray
before going to bed, otherwise I'd be up half the night not being able to breathe (can't sleep if I have to
breathe through my mouth).

Most times I can get by with a BreatheRight strip. Not during the day though, get too many funny looks.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Kava makes my nose run like a waterfall. Always has. It's not from the taste in my case. In fact, I don't have to taste the kava at all to get it. Most nights (If I'm successful) I'm able to drink it fast enough to not even have a slight kava taste...still get the waterfall.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I suspect it must be related to histamine release. There is something weird happening between kava and allergy type reactions. E.g. i ve been drinking kava for years and I often get a bit of itchiness, sometimes a tiny rash here and there. It's been this way for yeats. It doesnt get worse and it stops after a couple of hours but it does indicate that kava has a weird relationship with our skin

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
Sometimes kava will make me sneeze a few times after having it, but I've never noticed a stronger reaction than that or anything that lingers...

Palmetto

Thank God!
I am on allergy meds now because I drink kava all day long. Before I got into kava, I didn't have allergies. It is worse in my lungs. But I feel it is still healthier than how I would feel drinking alcohol every day, as I did before.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I am on allergy meds now because I drink kava all day long. Before I got into kava, I didn't have allergies. It is worse in my lungs. But I feel it is still healthier than how I would feel drinking alcohol every day, as I did before.
what? so kava made you allergic to other things or are you just allergic to kava?

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
Word, that's a trade-off, but it sounds like something funky is going on with you. What kind of kava are you drinking? It makes me wonder if kava has the potential to be contaminated with mycotoxins the same way most coffee is. Some people react really strongly to that stuff (tainted coffee)... Perhaps you have something similar going on.

Palmetto

Thank God!
I can feel the allergies increase within minutes of drinking. I've been drinking all day long for the last few months, so at some point I might cut back. At this point, I'm fine with taking allergy medicine, but it's not good to be on prednisone longterm.

I've been drinking many different kavas, but not all the same month, so it's not likely just one cultivar or mycotoxins, because it has been consistent regardless of type.
Pana Ewa, Fu'u, Tavenui, Nangol, Black Sand, Squanch Waka, Borogu, 'Eua, Mahakea, Kadavu, Savusavu, and a few others over the last 3 months. Maybe I need to cut back to less than 2 pounds per month.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I can feel the allergies increase within minutes of drinking. I've been drinking all day long for the last few months, so at some point I might cut back. At this point, I'm fine with taking allergy medicine, but it's not good to be on prednisone longterm.

I've been drinking many different kavas, but not all the same month, so it's not likely just one cultivar or mycotoxins, because it has been consistent regardless of type.
Pana Ewa, Fu'u, Tavenui, Nangol, Black Sand, Squanch Waka, Borogu, 'Eua, Mahakea, Kadavu, Savusavu, and a few others over the last 3 months. Maybe I need to cut back to less than 2 pounds per month.
You should perhaps consider cycling your use (2 non kava days per week) and cutting down to max 60g per session. This will put you under the recognised treshold for skin issues etc

Status
Not open for further replies.