What's new

Supply shortage soon?

Valyn

Kava Curious
What if the demand for kava gets close to those of coffee?
Coffee can be cultivated in many countries, unlike Kava.

Let's say, maybe it is a good thing that James Bond won't drink Fiji Waka
and Coldplay does not sing about Borongoru, Squidgames has no Mahakea game and in Ozark no IkaIka bar is found, because the number of kava bars would be more than the supply can offer.
I think, similar to Dole Pineapples, someone will buy thousands of acres of land in Hawaii and plant a bunch of Kava. Maybe that is what Zuckerberg is planning?

Mixnpickngrinnin

Kava Curious
I do wonder how the recent volcanic eruption in Tonga has affected their Kava operations. I'd imagine unless directly damaged by salt water, Kava is pretty resilient given its native to the area and this is not its first natural disaster. But i don't know! I'd guess the disruptions may more be supply chain/ infrastructure based than huge sections of the crop itself being destroyed.

PapaCthulu

Kava Lover
Personally, I would be more worried about shipping costs going up right now with Ukraine than a Kava shortage. Oil prices are expected to go way up... in the US atleast.

Drua_Kava

I think the supply may be far much larger than it is now. I know kava grows in Papua and it's quite a large island. Australia wants to grow kava. I am also considering other locations - especially Indonesia and the Philippines?

Kava in movies and songs - I think it's only a matter of time :)

Nice pretty sure there is a company in Qld Australia looking for land and currently in stages to setup a tissue culture lab for their kava farm.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Nice pretty sure there is a company in Qld Australia looking for land and currently in stages to setup a tissue culture lab for their kava farm.
Hopefully not you :)
We need to push back against any such attempts to grow kava outside the Pacific Islands.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
Hopefully not you :)
We need to push back against any such attempts to grow kava outside the Pacific Islands.
That such an egotistical statement. I welcome any attempts to make kava affordable. Also the idea that a group of people owns a monopoly on plants is just super weird to me. We all live on this planet and should be allowed to live with all parts of nature.

Valyn

Kava Curious
I heard someone saying not long ago in a kava bar that mark zuckberg bought like 1,000 acres of land in Hawaii and plans to grow kava there. I don't know if this is true but shows how he might take over the kava market.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Also the idea that a group of people owns a monopoly on plants is just super weird to me. We all live on this planet and should be allowed to live with all parts of nature.
Super weird it may be, but it's a thing your society came up with and imposed on the rest of the world. Patents and such.
In any case, please don't put words in my mouth. I never said anything about a monopoly. Neither did I say that some people should not be allowed to grow kava. Head on over to Logees.com and buy yourself a kava plant.

Kava was invented by the people of the Pacific Islands and it's the ONLY agricultural crop or product in which they currently have an advantage over the rest of the world. Corporations growing it elsewhere is going to do nothing but take away the ability of Pacific Islander growers, the vast majority of who live around or below the poverty line, to improve their lot.
It must be nice to sit in a position of privilege, every food crop from every corner of the world available at your local Whole Foods, while the peoples from which those crops originated still live in poverty.

You are free to grow kava as is anybody else, but for my part, I'm going to support the kava farmers of the Pacific Islands. Goodness knows they deserve it.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
Super weird it may be, but it's a thing your society came up with and imposed on the rest of the world. Patents and such.
No need to get into a fight, but I did not come up with anything of sorts. I also do not support patents of any kind.

It must be nice to sit in a position of privilege, every food crop from every corner of the world available at your local Whole Foods, while the peoples from which those crops originated still live in poverty.
Nope, it is not nice a all to know people are suffering and often denied a fair wage.

As for the original topic: I believe the best way to keep money flowing to the islands is to work on establishing them as a premium producer of "authentic" very high quality kava. Strict testing, single cultivars and old growth harvests only. The rest of the world can fill the mass market.

Elmanaro

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Kava Vendor
The price has always fluctuated, it used to cost vt20 for a shell here. Used to be vt100 per kg, today it is vt1000 per kg of fresh kava.