What's new

suspected dermopathy

violet

Do all things with love
Man, my hands always look like that now since drinking kava, and I grease them up a few times a day too. I don't mind trading off for the dry skin though, it did get better when I took a tiny break.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
Amlactin is best used as a preventative treatment, use it daily and you won't get dermopathy, until it gets to the point it doesn't burn like hell just use stuff to sooth it as kapmcrunk said.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Well, I finally got dermopathy. The amlactin really burns like hell on my face although it doesn't bother me around my torso. I don't have it on my hands, but I use cornhuskers lotion on my hands daily to help with calluses and my hands are silky smooth :)

Last edited:

violet

Do all things with love
Amlactin probably has a pretty low pH, 4 or lower in order to be effective, otherwise the lactic acid would just sit on top of the skin and not do anything. @kavadude You got dermopathy on your face? That would be enough to put me off kava for a bit, mostly because I can't use much of anything topically with causing more issues. Even without the dermopathy, facial skin is more sensitive and may still react to that low pH. If you use it regularly you'll probably get used to it, but just take care not to get any sun/wind burns.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Has anyone with dermopathy exercised and felt an unpleasant pins and needles type sensation when beginning to sweat? I've been having that on and off for a few months now and I never made the connection. I think it might be the sweat beginning to form and irritating the dermopathy-afflicted skin. It goes away after about 20-30 seconds.

violet

Do all things with love
Yup. It sure did suck when I had dermopathy on my back and my butt and I was trying to sleep on an air mattress :arghh:. It was the worst in my underarms though, so it makes sense.

infraredz

BULA!
Has anyone with dermopathy exercised and felt an unpleasant pins and needles type sensation when beginning to sweat? I've been having that on and off for a few months now and I never made the connection. I think it might be the sweat beginning to form and irritating the dermopathy-afflicted skin. It goes away after about 20-30 seconds.
Yeah, I had that experience too. It could be consistent with the theory that the dermopathy is caused by a reduction in glandular secretions [Davidson, 1899]

D

Deactivated Account

Definately ! I lift once/twice a week & its certaily no fun with kava crocodile skin. Your not alone.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
It's good to know I'm not alone. I've taken to jumproping for a minute before I do anything else just to get it out of the way because it really skeevs me out.

This is the worst I've ever had it...it's been 8 days and it's just now receding...reckon I probably have two or three days left. It's killing me because I got a huge shipment of kava this week and it's just sitting in my cupboard, tempting me.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
@kavadude I drank kava every day for a while and ended up with a good bout of dermopathy. I took a few weeks break (after some non-kava related health issues) and am back to drinking kava again. This time around, however, i'm not drinking every day and make sure to take at least a 1 day break every 2-3 days or so. That, and I'm drinking much more water throughout the day, at least a couple liters. Still have the winter dry skin to attend to and some itchy scalp but nothing too bad.

Everyone's different though, hope you can find what works best for you, good luck!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
No sooner than i mention 3 times in one day that 'i've been having kava almost every night for a year without any dermopathy', do i notice tender peeling skin under both my armpits...ahh! :facepalm:

the only thing i can attribute to it finally happening is; that it's been an extremely dry winter for weeks...everyone's been getting chapped lips and dry nasal passages. i wonder if a humidifier would be a good investment ?

anyone know if aloe gel is any good for it ?...i happen to have a couple extra bottles of that layin' around. it went on nice on one side...burnt like hell on the other.

just got a new batch of Fiji too and whipped up a batch :hungry: :nailbiting: :jawdrop:

violet

Do all things with love
For anyone with dermopathy especially on the face, I've found raw honey to be quite amazing for cleansing and helping it heal. Just smear it on and gently massage it in instead of whatever cleanser you may use.

If the aloe is burning I'd hold off on it, I think anything that causes further irritation may make it take longer to go away.