What's new

taking a break from kava

exit stage left
For the past Tuesday to Sunday, I used kava daily, and 3 or 4 days a week before that for maybe a month. I think I'm either going to take a complete break from kava for a month or so or at least cut down significantly. I should probably be in a physically healthier place before I try to drink kava frequently. As I've shared in several threads, I have anorexia and am beginning a day treatment program next Monday for it. After almost a week of daily kava use, I've noticed some worrisome symptoms such as bloating, decreased appetite and the skin underneath my eyes is red and sore, it constantly looks like I've been crying. I don't think it's allergies unless I've spontaneously developed them. I decided not to drink kava at all yesterday and just felt generally unwell all day and had a pretty bad headache.

I think at least right now, when I can't tell if physical symptoms are from the kava, the eating disorder, or if I'm just coming down with something, I will refrain from kava until I'm in a more physically healthy place.

I plan to stick around here, because I like reading the threads.

verticity

I'm interested in things
After almost a week of daily kava use, I've noticed some worrisome symptoms such as bloating, decreased appetite and the skin underneath my eyes is red and sore, it constantly looks like I've been crying.
Yup, all those things can be caused by kava. Moderating might be a good idea. Let us know how it goes!

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Sounds like a good idea, @Schmedward. Too many independent variables in flight can make treatment really difficult. I know this from experience. Sometimes it's best to reset everything to zero and start again. Kava will be here for you if/when you need it---with all of it's anxiolytic greatness---if that's what you're looking for.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I think at least right now, when I can't tell if physical symptoms are from the kava, the eating disorder, or if I'm just coming down with something, I will refrain from kava until I'm in a more physically healthy place.
I refrained from commenting because I really don't know what would be best, but I myself have found that kava is an appetite suppressant. It sounds like this is the right decision until you get through your treatment.

exit stage left
Yup, all those things can be caused by kava. Moderating might be a good idea. Let us know how it goes!
How long will it take the redness under my eyes to go away? They look a little swollen, and they're pretty sore. I almost look like I've been smoking pot, and I don't smoke pot (gives me more anxiety). I don't want people to assume, especially if I'm going to be at a hospital program every day.

verticity

I'm interested in things
How long will it take the redness under my eyes to go away? They look a little swollen, and they're pretty sore. I almost look like I've been smoking pot, and I don't smoke pot (gives me more anxiety). I don't want people to assume, especially if I'm going to be at a hospital program every day.
I don't know how long it will take, but if it is in fact caused by the kava, and not an allergic reaction or something, it is basically a form of dermopathy, which will go away. Maybe someone else with experience with this can chime in here.

Bert07

Me like da kava
Yeah kava can extremely suppress appetite for me sometimes so I don't blame you. Especially with your condition, it can make it twice as bad. Hopefully things go well for you ::tipshat::

exit stage left
Dermopathy so soon, I guess I'm lucky. I'm hoping it's just allergies, though I've never had them like this before. I took some Benadryl and it helped.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Yes, it is a little unusual for dermo to develop after only a month--could be something else--but you never know. If it clears up when you take your kava break then you'll know.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
Kava dries me out. If I drink it 6 days a week, people tell me I look tired. I can see it in my eyes, and under my eyes get very dark and almost transparent. My skin becomes deflated, dehydrated, and wrinkly. I also drink way too much coffee. Within 3 days of running out, I look normal again. And the headaches, they go away as well. Kava dehydrates the heck out of me. Under my eyes are the very first spot to show dehydration. I look like a raccoon. The back of my hands are the second spot to wrinkle.

exit stage left
Today's my third day without kava. If I take antihistamines and sleep it feels better for a short while, but then gets sore, itchy, and watery again. It gets dry too, so I've been putting moisturizer under and above my eyes. It could be allergies but nothing has changed in my environment lately, and why would I suddenly develop such a severe allergy? My whole eye area is a little swollen.

D

Deleted User01

It's good and even recommended to take a break from kava once in a while. If you are like me, any weird symptoms get blamed on kava. So I take a break and see if the symptoms change. So far I haven't been able to pin anything on kava. It's just getting old, allergies, overworking, etc. But it's still gives peace of mind to know kava is not the culprit. By the way, I do not drink booze when I stop kava because booze does cause a lot of problems. So I end up not taking a damn thing during those days and I don't like it one bit. :wtf:

krazyforkava

Kava Enthusiast
It literally sounds like the classic symptoms of allergies. I don't know why it would happen now if you've never had allergies before though.

exit stage left
It's not been getting any better so I got a doctor to take a look. He thinks it's seasonal allergies too, even though I was tested about 3 or 4 years ago with no results. He told me to keep taking benadryl, gave me a nasal spray, and recommended eye drops. If it doesn't get better he said I should see an allergist. He said allergy profiles are always changing, so it's possible. My nose is runny too, so it really looks like allergies.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Benadryl loses efficacy pretty rapidly after a couple days. Probably best to alternate days or take periodic breaks. The alternative is to keep increase dose, but that strategy worries me.

exit stage left
It's been 6 days and the symptoms have cleared up and I don't need allergy medication any more, so maybe it was the kava. No way to know I guess, with my other health issues, but I'm definitely going to lay off the kava while I'm in eating disorder treatment. We're not supposed to drink alcohol out of respect for anyone in the program who has problems with it, so I'd assume they would want me to refrain from kava. Also I really don't want whatever that was to happen again.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
It's been 6 days and the symptoms have cleared up and I don't need allergy medication any more, so maybe it was the kava. No way to know I guess, with my other health issues, but I'm definitely going to lay off the kava while I'm in eating disorder treatment. We're not supposed to drink alcohol out of respect for anyone in the program who has problems with it, so I'd assume they would want me to refrain from kava. Also I really don't want whatever that was to happen again.
Honestly, I think you're doing the right thing. More power to you. Getting good with you is the most important thing you can do.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
Forgive me is my contribution to this thread is less helpful than others. I am working with a rough RT period. I would love to take a break. I have had some dull workdays behind a podium since I started more than two weeks ago. My sleep is inconsistent, my dreams are insane, and my mouth moves as if it needs to be oiled. Although more manageable than an alcohol hangover, I do have to act as if I am not drinking kava. I am experiencing the same eye issues as you are. However, I am sticking with it for at least a month in order to attempt reach a point that I said I would reach. Otherwise, it would just be me donating a benji and a twenty spot to Chris Allen. Nice guy though. Joking aside, I am conflicted. As I am preparing a serving, I have both the thoughts of "Here we go again" and "I hope this is the day." Some days I feel calm and maybe some short-lived buzzes. Papa Kea really let it's presence be known but I know that I only have a foot in the door. I do not want to drink kava tomorrow. I didn't want to drink it at any point today. I do so because it's a part of a process that I want to experience. If you want to take a break, you should certainly do that, if not just pick one day a month to partake. Who says that you have to partake on a regular basis? How about once a month to celebrate your success? I am a member of a circle of yerba mate drinkers on Facebook. I see people drinking as much as five liters a day there, which is about 4.5 liters of mate than they need. If I know one thing about kava, it's that it's different for everyone. Enjoy your break.

starscolliding

Kava Curious
For people who take a lot of Kava, it is an appetite suppressant so I do recommend taking a full-spectrum single-pill multi to make sure you are getting the nutrients you need because of the reduced food intake. Also, I think one of the main things to manage is water consumption, you have to drink a lot of water with Kava.

People on these forums have described some sort of allergic reaction to Kava in some cases, and it is relieved (obviously) by refraining from taking more, and much of the time it just needs a few weeks off, while in rare cases people just can't do it at all even after a break.

Best of luck with your path! My universal prescription for everyone is to workout a lot - it makes people very happy once they get through 'workout reverse tolerance' :). The body creates lots of happy chemicals after enough working out. Anyway, sorry if this is preachy, everyone has their own, valid, path, but I can't help giving exercise a plug because it has meant so much to me.