What's new

Taking kava for anxiety before plasma donation

Status
Not open for further replies.

subsmoke

I haven't been able to donate plasma any time I've tried because my anxiety makes pulse is too high. It's usually like 110 or 120 and it needs to be 100 or below. Has anyone tried using kava before a plasma donation and does it help? Also what's the best kind of kava to get? I got a 1oz bottle of it with a dropper that it says to squirt into a bit of water.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Kava will not necessarily lower your pulse. It will relax your mind, though, so that might have some indirect effect, but I have heard cases of it actually increasing pulse.

Best thing to lower your pulse is beta blockers, which are sometimes prescribed for performance anxiety.

I guess the question is, do you know what your resting pulse is? Some people have a high resting pulse due to meds or genetics. Do you just feel anxious about donating plasma, or kind of all the time? If the latter, kava can certainly help, as it has helped me.

subsmoke

If it helps with anxiety it seems like it should lower your heart rate since anxiety makes it go up. My resting heart rate is around 70-ish but when I feel anxious it can shoot up to 120 or higher even. I feel anxious pretty often but some things make it worse like donating plasma.

I actually asked them about whether I can take some kind of meds to lower pulse and they said beta blockers aren't allowed.

verticity

I'm interested in things
If it helps with anxiety it seems like it should lower your heart rate since anxiety makes it go up. My resting heart rate is around 70-ish but when I feel anxious it can shoot up to 120 or higher even. I feel anxious pretty often but some things make it worse like donating plasma.

I actually asked them about whether I can take some kind of meds to lower pulse and they said beta blockers aren't allowed.
Well, I don't know, if beta blockers aren't allowed, kava probably isn't allowed either. They are both drugs. Possibly they don't want you to have any drugs in your system.

D

Deleted User01

Welcome to the forum @subsmoke. ::awesomesmiles:: You are to be commended for wanting to help your fellow man and attempting to donate plasma. You are a good citizen for sure. But the facts are that you can't without taking drugs so I say, "Don't do it". Instead, why don't you try to encourage others to do it? It's not your fault that anxiety gets the better of you but you can still make lemonade and make this a better world for everyone to live in. If anyone else asks you why you don't do it, you can always tell them you are on medication and have been rejected. Let them know you tried but it couldn't happen. Everyone has to know their limitations but there are lots of ways to get around them and still accomplish the same thing.

D

Deleted User01

Ok, I need to check my heart rate this afternoon when I hit the relaxing juice. This year, I had the opportunity to do some MJ for the first time in a long while. My pulse went from 70 to 106 and it stayed that way for 1-2 hours. It basically freaked me out because I did such a small quantity. As I get older, I don't want a high heart rate unless I'm running or doing something aerobic. Anyway, I will check my heart rate before and after kava in the name of science. And I will make sure the pulse doesn't pop in anticipation of the joy juice.

@subsmoke, your pulse needs to be between 60-80 when you are relaxed. When you start talking in the 100s, that is cause for concern unless you are doing Aerobics. And that's another reason to stay away from giving Plasma but perhaps contributing in another way. Can you imagine freaking out in the chair with a needle in your arm? I have given plasma before and I will myself to relax. I don't like needles so I close my eyes but thankfully I don't get anxiety attacks.

D

Deleted User01

Buy the way if I EVER need blood I want you guys to give it too me. Can be useful if its full of Kava!!! ::awesomesmiles::
If you are bleeding to death, honestly, you don't want anything in the blood to interfere with the healing process and the large quantity of drugs and morphine that they are already pumping into your system. That's why I say ixnay to doing kava before giving blood. Now if I just wanted to relax, I would definitely ask for a pint of @Kapmkrunks blood. Just ask for a pint of The Kapm's Finest. :D It shore is relaxin'. :LOL:

verticity

I'm interested in things
Ok, I need to check my heart rate this afternoon when I hit the relaxing juice. This year, I had the opportunity to do some MJ for the first time in a long while. My pulse went from 70 to 106 and it stayed that way for 1-2 hours. ..
Yes, actually, recent research, published in the Journal of British Science, demonstrated that smoking a joint is equivalent to 1 hour of aerobic exercise. Of course the government doesn't want you to know about that, nor about the fact that rectally administered MJ can cure hemorrhoids.

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
If you are bleeding to death, honestly, you don't want anything in the blood to interfere with the healing process and the large quantity of drugs and morphine that they are already pumping into your system. That's why I say ixnay to doing kava before giving blood. Now if I just wanted to relax, I would definitely ask for a pint of @Kapmkrunks blood. Just ask for a pint of The Kapm's Finest. :D It shore is relaxin'. :LOL:
Kapm's blood, sprinkled with @shakas skin dust is the bomb.

K

Kava Steve

Yes, actually, recent research, published in the Journal of British Science, demonstrated that smoking a joint is equivalent to 1 hour of aerobic exercise. If course the government doesn't want you to know about that, nor about the fact that rectally administered MJ can cure hemorrhoids.
maybe on heart rate.... It doesn't increase metabolism... The statement seems misleading

D

Deleted User01

@verticity, on that rectally administered MJ for hemmies (as I affectionately call them :D). I don't know if you were joking or not because it actually makes sense however I do want to warn the Newbies of one other thing. Do not under any circumstances try doing a Kava enema. A guy in another forum actual did that a few years back and ended up in the hospital. I think the macas are like sandpaper in your guts or maybe razors. Anyway, you get the idea.

And so an innocent thread ends up going north or is that south? on Pan-Fried Friday. :LOL:

verticity

I'm interested in things
@verticity, on that rectally administered MJ for hemmies (as I affectionately call them :D). I don't know if you were joking or not because it actually makes sense however I do want to warn the Newbies of one other thing. Do not under any circumstances try doing a Kava enema. A guy in another forum actual did that a few years back and ended up in the hospital. I think the macas are like sandpaper in your guts or maybe razors. Anyway, you get the idea.

And so an innocent thread ends up going north or is that south? on Pan-Fried Friday. :LOL:
Yes, newbies beware that anything I say that is not about kava has a high likelihood of being facetious. Or really anything I say about anything at all. Best not to take advice from an anthropomorphic magnet on the Internet, in case that wasn't obvious.

D

Deleted User01

@verticity, MJ is known to be an anti-inflammoary, right? But not with Kava because of the Macas thang. Yeh, dem Macas do burn, don't they now. :eek: Yeh they do ... :sneaky:

Now on those MJ suppositories, I googled it and found an article entitled, "Bend over, It's time to get high". So you ain't far off there Mr. Verticity. But they were recommending it for people with respiratory problems who can't smoke. Ya see, truth is stranger than fiction.

I'm just waiting for Tommy Chon to invent an injector system. That's his forte don't ya know.

D

Deleted User01

So you are saying use instant?
If you try that, then may the macas of a thousand lateral roots invade and shred your bowels. And if not, then the fleas of a 1000 camels invading your armpits should do the trick. :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.