What's new

Tanoa care?

jewalker7842

Kava Curious
My wife got me a birthday present that i was not expecting. She bought me a handmade Samoan Tanoa off Etsy! I absolutely love this thing! I’ll have to get the Etsy URL from her this thing is solid. My question is what is the proper care for these things? Obviously no soap. Just rinse and dry?

Attachments

Forretressqt

Kava Curious
Just adding my experience; I just wipe as even rinsing has dried it out quite a bit to the point where there were some slight cracks beginning to form although it's very old!

I've re-oiled it with a mix of linseed and solvent maybe twice over the last few years which retains its colour and "plump" texture for a long time!

jewalker7842

Kava Curious
I just rinse and leave - I have some over 100 years old that are fine with this. No need for coconut oil etc if it is a used Tanoa rather than an ornament
I've been putting some olive oil on there every other use to keep it the wood from drying and cracking as that is my biggest fear. Coconut oil isn't something I've thought of yet. I think that would be even better.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
I'm wondering if the oils in the kava would naturally protect the timber...i've been brewing up some oily grogs lately
Very nice gift! Been meaning to turn a tanoa for ages.

Stefan

Kava Curious
Try linseed oil and beeswax or some other was. This makes it very durable and almost waterproof to avoid cracks and the wax makes sure the oil doesn't leak into the kava.