What's new

TBSP to grams

mlenny

Kava Curious
I'm sure it varies from batch to batch, but does anybody know the approximate range of conversion? I always measure in grams, so when I see people use tablespoons, I have no idea how to translate.

Thanks,
Matthew

mlenny

Kava Curious
You and me both. Essentially we're in the dark as ranges for mass weights can vary wildly with each specific harvest.
You're really knowledgeable, so quick, unrelated question. The numbing effect seems to have largely waned over time (unless it's a particularly potent brew). Does that happen?

Thanks for your help,
Matthew

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
You're really knowledgeable, so quick, unrelated question. The numbing effect seems to have largely waned over time (unless it's a particularly potent brew). Does that happen?

Thanks for your help,
Matthew
Sure does. Not exactly sure what causes that, but over time it seems maybe our mucous membranes work up some type of desensitization, because I've noticed this myself, and it still will do it if I tie into a REALLY strong grog.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Oh wow, I'm surprised the conversion hasn't been shared. One level tablespoon is six to seven grams of medium grind kava root, dried, most of the time. A scale would be preferable because different grinds weigh more or less, and humidity factors dramatically - a kilo of fresh green kava may dry out to be two hundred or three hundred grams.

My general rule is 7g for a rounded tablespoon, four tablespoons for an ounce(28g).

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Update some kava weighs more than others - variables include grind size and ratio of basal or lateral root. I have noticed a glass jar filled to the top of finish grind 30% lateral, 70% basal root weighs fifteen grams more or less (I forgot which, my scale broke) than coarse grind waka! This surprised me, felt like sharing. One of the two mentioned kava was 55g full to top of glass jar and the other 40g!