What's new

Kava Fact of the Day The “Canoe” method of making kava.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Today’s fact of the day is about a lesser-known method of kava prep. In the same vein as our mixer experiment, this method focuses on agitation to wash the powder from the root particles instead of pressure. This method can come in handy if you’re having issues such as arthritis and cannot necessarily knead and squeeze the bag with any force.

This method’s author is Mr. Bowman, the owner of Nakamal At Home. Here’s what he says about the method:

“With any of our kava you want to basically rinse the lactones off by using a “canoe” method and rock it back and forth to drain the liquid a few times then dunk it back in each time and not squeeze it super hard until the last step. If you squeeze it too hard you will cause all the sticky lactones to be pressed back into the fibers and you’ll have to run it through a blender to get them unstuck or squeeze really hard a few times to mechanically release them.”

fueledbykava

Kava enthusiast
Wow, interesting! I think I'm going to try it this way and then put the bag into another bowl of clean water and compare how greasy it feels to how it felt after the rocking method.

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
Okok it is very important to know this method will not work on all kavas. N@H kava will work great with this method and explained some here

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Okok it is very important to know this method will not work on all kavas. N@H kava will work great with this method and explained some here

haha, I was just messaging all my resources to try to understand how this is different. Supposedly they crush the plant material before they grind it.

Also, it probably will work with most (not all) of the kavas we see available for....reasons. Reasons like most of them come from that source anyway, lol. Not PSL though. So I will keep that in mind.