What's new

Kava Preparation The Aluball Machine

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I may or may not know of specific technology related to exactly what you guys are searching for. It....may or may not exist, I can't confirm, however if it does exist, it works really really well, and it is quite similar to a washing machine.

I say that to let you know you're on the right path.
It makes the most sense to take advantage of the centrifugal force of the spin cycle. and the back and forth motion of a "Knead cycle".

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
It makes the most sense to take advantage of the centrifugal force of the spin cycle. and the back and forth motion of a "Knead cycle".
Believe it or not, the spin cycle is not all that critical in the scenario in which I may or may not know about ;)

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I like the handwashing idea because all you need to clean are a strainer and a bowl. With a machine, one of the toughest things to clean is the tubes, and, unless the machine is washed before use and only ever used for kava, it is risky. Plus I can fit half a pound of root in my smaller strainer. Mixed in a gallon of water would make some sincerely powerful shells! I know because 1/2lb to 2650ml water was way too strong for me.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
So now, this demo pops up in my "recommended videos'...then a link to the actual product thiss guy tested out
Doesn't this guy look exactly like how the typical American Kava Drinker looks ?
So someone should request that he does the same demo, but with kava.

Amazon product

Last edited:

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Is that because of inherent toxic materials in the equipment, or because of the potential for mold growth ?
mold can pretty much grow in any moist area. Basically it’s possible that materials can be toxic. Part of it is design. For example, in 2005 we had a meat slicer that had a manufacturing defect and wasn’t being built to spec. It was trapping meat particles that didn’t get removed via routine washing. Bacteria began to grow and collect. Each time roast beef was ran through it, a pretty nasty strain kept infecting the meat. Two ppl died and over 100 sick.

It‘s an issue of design and materials. Food grade equipment must be easily cleanable and free of toxic materials. Look up what copper cooking ware does when used with acidic foods :)

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
mold can pretty much grow in any moist area. Basically it’s possible that materials can be toxic. Part of it is design. For example, in 2005 we had a meat slicer that had a manufacturing defect and wasn’t being built to spec. It was trapping meat particles that didn’t get removed via routine washing. Bacteria began to grow and collect. Each time roast beef was ran through it, a pretty nasty strain kept infecting the meat. Two ppl died and over 100 sick.

It‘s an issue of design and materials. Food grade equipment must be easily cleanable and free of toxic materials. Look up what copper cooking ware does when used with acidic foods :)

That's what concerns me about this fancy, electric dispenser that mounts on my 5 gallon filtered water jugs.
You pop this small device on top of the water jug, with a tube that goes way down, then just press a button on the device, and it pumps the water straight from the jug and out of a spout on top. Way cooler than the old-style dispensers that you'd see in offices, the last couple decades.

But it has that downside. I've seen some kind of black film growth on the inside of the tube that pumps the water out.
And it's VERY hard to clean the inside of a tube, that has something that actually adheres to the inside.
I know a little about mold, but I was actually surprised it could occur in a scenario like that. But I guess it makes sense.
Something like this product

Water.jpg

Last edited:
D

Drug_Snuggler

I work as a process design engineer and provide equipment to specialty food/pharma producers - I noticed a local K-bar adopting this "panty washer" for their operations and my blood boiled. Ill chalk it up to ignorance of the owner, who is spoiled by the lax regulation of retail kava prep.
Id happily bid on a project to make a unit of this type that is actually food safe and durable for commercial use - even though as a kava drinker I can not stand to pay for kava prepared in this manor.

Another thing that hurt to read was on this products website - stating something along the lines of - when you receive your unit, and notice water marks inside, its not because its used, water marks are due to our rigorous testing of the unit before shipment. -!ouch!-

Blergs

Kava Curious
That's what concerns me about this fancy, electric dispenser that mounts on my 5 gallon filtered water jugs.
You pop this small device on top of the water jug, with a tube that goes way down, then just press a button on the device, and it pumps the water straight from the jug and out of a spout on top. Way cooler than the old-style dispensers that you'd see in offices, the last couple decades.

But it has that downside. I've seen some kind of black film growth on the inside of the tube that pumps the water out.
And it's VERY hard to clean the inside of a tube, that has something that actually adheres to the inside.
I know a little about mold, but I was actually surprised it could occur in a scenario like that. But I guess it makes sense.
Something like this product

View attachment 12655
My dad recently got me one of these because a month or two ago because I buy these HUGE water barrels of filtered and UV sterile water (like the big plastic ones on the office water cooler, but with a handle) and he was trying to be nice.. but out of instinct I refuse to use it because my sense tells me it's safer to just pour from, because of this exact issue. It's still in the box. He got me a hand pump one before that and I thanked him but explained why I don't want to use it... Not sure why he went and got an electric one after but .