What's new

Kava Culture The future of Kava

D

Deleted User01

Yeah, first order of business is this: Try not to have any Kava related accidents in Oklahoma, Texas or any other similar states. Follow this simple rule and we will never have to organize to begin with.

D

Deleted User01

Yeah Doobie, they showed their true colors. Too bad, we had a blast at the Grand Canyon a few years ago. Screw'em and feed'em beans.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Australia's ban in conjunction with Aboriginal kava abuse is a one off imo. What do you guys think?
I'm going to backpeddle a little on what I said about keeping Kava legal through the use of appeal to indigenous cultural tradition. This might work, but in essence the American ban on marijuana was "we hate Mexicans," and the lifting of the ban is largely a result of White Anglo-Saxon Protestants deciding to use the drug anyway. I think the best way to keep kava legal is to portray middle-class Anglo-Americans as responsible, social kava drinkers.

The other thing we need to do is to demedicalize kava. Pills were the death of kava once and they could be again. Now, like just about everyone else here, I have a case of kava candy for sore throats, TMJ, road-rage, etc. And I have some kava extract from Paradise for when I need/want that. I don't suggest we rid ourselves completely of quick-kava solutions, but we also need to focus on the shell, on the brown stuff, on the kava-as-a-social-culture.

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
The Fox is back ;)
Yes! Middle Class, go drink kava and be responsible!
Totally agree on the pills part too. Something we struggle to NOT carry since it's lucrative (so are tinctures)
Our Paste has a STRANGE application which severely limits market concentration. People generally see anything new in the "strange" and "different" :shifty: light.
How we are going to get over this is a marketing conundrum
...anyone have ideas?
A.G

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
@Paradise Kava

Put the paste in those honey stick things you see at county fairs and old timey candy stores. A whole lot of people have sucked on those during a family outing to the fair or history old towns.

@Prince Philip
I agree with almost all of that. I don't agree about demedicalizing it. Acknowledge that it has potential for medical use but not push the idea as fact or anything like that. I suppose that could be a slippery slop though.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
I'm not advocating the deletion of the "Medical Use of Kava" by any means. We all use kava medically from time to time. Ozia kandy are my go-to for sore throats, for example, They don't make my teeth feel like they've been coated with sticky glaze the way cough-drops would. What I mean is move kava away from supplement culture. Yes, let "for medicinal purposes" be associated with kava the way it is with a healthy glass of red wine or a shot of brandy, but please don't shelve it with other "herbal remedies."

Doobie Doo

How many shells to get to the center..1 2 3
As I think about it, I hope Kava just stays under the media and hype radar in the States. If you are growing a business around Kava, I could see how one would want the awareness, and thus demand, to pick up - preferably by a knowledgeable appreciate base. But as a casual drinker, I am just a bit scared of the perfect storm of reactionary crud from government, trolling media, over consuming drinkers and then loosing the current distribution mechanisms. I'm not sure media will ever present Kava in a really fair context. Politicians are always looking for a cheap scapegoat or cause to legislate on. And let's face it, we as Americans don't know how to just enjoy something good as is (ie: hey if 2 Tylenol pills make me feel good, then 20 must be even better <insert ugly liver failure & death here>). As much as it's hard to believe someone could abuse Kava that much, I tend not to under estimate our dubious natural skills and talents. The best solution I would think is for it just sort of be associated with those wacky alternative health food consumers and outlets? I know when I explain Kava to some distant conservative family members/friends, I can get more traction if I place it in the context of a "tea" made from roots, because if I even mentioned it as a natural anti anxiety med, it would just create too much "discussion".

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
The Marquis de Sade wrote about two kinds of anti-heros. The first was someone "under the radar," a person who is so low that they are beneath contempt, let alone notice. The other is the person with so much power, so much status, that they are above the law. Either kind is untouchable.

I want kava to be above the radar, untouchable because of it's sacred status. I want kava bowls on American currency. And I think I can make it happen.

Doobie Doo

How many shells to get to the center..1 2 3
It's obviously time to establish a monarchy in the States..and I think we know just the person....:D

D

Deleted User01

And remember when they come knocking on our door, "we're not a gang, we're a club". Or as Kavasseur would say, "hey, it's my hobby".:D