What's new

The latest Pacific Elixir batch (EU kavaeurope), crazy fine ground - anyone has the same experience?

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
I can't believe atm what is going on with this kava. Had a 200gr bag from the latest batch which was sold out very fast.

I weighted out 25gr some minutes ago, put it on low speed in my mixer (no matter, even high speed did never result in something like this).

Then I put it through my 75mesh nylon strainer. There is always a bit of "dust" within in the drink which then settles down at the bottom. But it is a tiny amount.

I know many people would say "look for a hole in the bag", or "you didn't hit the strainer bag and it was flowing besides it... or or or...

Nothing of this!

I double checked everything. What is it actually about? From 25gr, there are about 3gr left in the strainer bag... no it isn't sticking in the mixer also...

And ... I would have thought "this must be micronized quality then... but the drink is not that "sandy" that I know from micronized. Also after 5 minutes standing now, yes there builds a huge ground in the lower third of the glass bottle. But those are tiny particles... I am curious if it is similar sandy like micronized or bigger particles - I am not there yet *lol. And I wouldn't drink the sandy part- not once again in life...

I tripple checked the strainer bag now. No holes- nothing. Last time a couple of days ago- it worked like always, putting 20gr in and almost catching same amount out the strainer afterwards. I didn't use hot or cooking water for cleaning- nothing....

Someone else had a similar experience with this batch? I know I should first check the strainer bag with a kava I already had in it, if it still filters this kava the same as it did the last time... to have a comparison.

Last edited:

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
Update: Now I am at the bottom with the "ground" which sank down. It isn't even as close to be as sandy as micronized... what kind of kava is this?

Am I drinking super-micronized here and does that mean I will have bowel problems afterwards? Or did you mix up instant in the normal bags? It can't be instant, instant behaves different in the water... super strange :oops:

Perhaps I was "lucky" and I had the beginning or the end of production were mostly dust was left and got into the bags...

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
IMG_20230802_222806_(1080_x_1440_pixel).jpg

These are smaller particels than micronized....
Almost everything got through the strainer.

To be "fair" I do a test tomorrow with other kava in the same strainer bag. But because the kava is so fine, I guess the outcome is the same. I can't take this with my gut and bowel. I would have to buy a smaller mesh size.

Attachments

ThePiper

Kava Lover
To be "fair" I do a test tomorrow with other kava in the same strainer bag. But because the kava is so fine, I guess the outcome is the same. I can't take this with my gut and bowel. I would have to buy a smaller mesh size.
how was it?

KavaTasteGood

Kava Curious
The problem is different here, I'm frustrated that they are still out of stock and I'd be happy to chew directly on the waterver-sized kava grains... :D But let us know how it turned out because I may soon be contronted about it :)

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
Hey! I am going to do the test with my other kava - perhaps this evening or the following days. Lately I just used their instant, which I love.

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
IMG_20230810_220858.jpg

I had no illusions. Same strainer, other kava. It stays in the strainer Like the other two kavas before I used Pacific elixir.

I used the strainer twice with PE after it went through, to make sure I made no mistake. Both times 98% of kava just went through the mesh..

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Hi there, can confirm it was ground the same way. It is a fine grind and much of the coarse material is removed. Perhaps just your strainer is no longer 75 microns due to wear and tear. Either way, all kava is powdered in the same machine with the same setting