What's new

the potting soil again?

chasemandingo

Kava Enthusiast
hey guys just wondering if anyone has figured out what the black rock like stuff is in the bkh products? i am finding them in my eleven year waka. since it is a micro i havent been straining and they are almost gagging me. there was another post recently bout this same issue.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
It may be insoluble root fibers such as maybe a little piece of the peeling. The peelings of kava are usually quite black and tough as nails. I'll let @Judd respond, as I'm not 100% sure the verdict was last time.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
In my experience with sooooo many different suppliers and soooo many different kava, I have also seen this and it looks to me like it might still be part of the earth that it was grown in. To give you an example there is a kava vendor in Hawaii, not me, that when you look at his kava under a microscope you will see the black rocks, it is the black cinder that they plant the kava in. I know this person and I know how he plants so I know that the black cinder is what is in his kava. Maybe you are seeing something like that, just part of the good ground that it came from.
It is a sign of not being processed or cleaned properly, you can look and look and look and you will not find that in my kava. I do not grow my kava in cinder for just that reason. I hope this helps. Aloha.

Chris

D

Deactivated Account

Ive often had waka that if i didn't wash my mixing jug out, the next day it was full of rust spots. I am Iron Man.

chasemandingo

Kava Enthusiast
I do think it looks like volcanic soil --i.e. peralite or vermiculite-- so I'm not too worried. It makes it harder to chug but only after the nausea has set in anyway. The first shell or two are fine. I do believe that Bula Kava House sells good quality products so I will just grit my teeth and bear it!

D

Deactivated Account

I do think it looks like volcanic soil --i.e. peralite or vermiculite-- so I'm not too worried. It makes it harder to chug but only after the nausea has set in anyway. The first shell or two are fine. I do believe that Bula Kava House sells good quality products so I will just grit my teeth and bear it!
Ive seen that before with vanuatu powdered kava ... get a few of them & heat them. If they melt = resin. If not then yes volcanic.