What's new

This is REALLY disturbing

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
This is from The Menzie's school of health research. Anything about kava coming from the Northern Territory during the late 1990s and early 2000s from this research facility was flawed in the aspect that they were essentially measuring comorbidities related to the poor health status of the people in that area.

There has not been a single reported case of seizures from kava consumption, and there is no withdrawal from kava, so there have been no instances of seizures there either. This is purely speculative in the best sense of the word. No need to be disturbed.

Here's where this comes from originally:

"Anecdotal associations with heavy kava use raised by local healthcare workers include increased rates of infectious diseases(beyond the already high rates), especially the potentially fatal melioidosis; malnutritionin dependents of kava drinkers; ischaemic cardiac events, including myocardia linfarction and sudden death; and grand mal seizures attributed to both acute toxicity and withdrawal. Careful studies will confirm or refute these postulated associations."

Spillane, P. K., D. A. Fisher, and B. J. Currie. 1997. “Neurological Manifestations of Kava Intoxication.” The Medical Journal of Australia 167 (3): 172–73. https://doi.org/10.5694/j.1326-5377.1997.tb138828.x.

This study was from 1997, and subsequent research has refuted these theories. They conveniently left off the very last bit of this quote to make their point as if it had been proven.

M

mlenny

Oh, okay. That makes me feel better. If it were a thing I couldn't believe it would be that much of a secret. I mean, I've seen about a million things about liver injury but never that.

Thanks,
Matthew

Last edited by a moderator:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Oh, okay. That makes me feel better. If it were a thing I couldn't believe it would be that much of a secret.

Thanks,
Matthew
I promise if I ever run across anything like that with any substance to it, the first place I will post it is right here. So far I'm just shy of 700 research articles dedicated to kava, and if I had run into anything that suggested kava were a deadly poison I would shut this website down. I LOVE kava, but our health is more important than any plant.

M

mlenny

Thank you. I probably overreacted. I'm a little sensitive to the weird "seizure" after getting part of my brain removed to treat a seizure disorder.

Matthew

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Thank you. I probably overreacted. I'm a little sensitive to the weird "seizure" after getting part of my brain removed to treat a seizure disorder.

Matthew
100% understandable. I can honestly say I'd react the same way if I found that on the side with no context.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
In practice, it has been a a proven solution for children's epilepsy. Hardcore keto, tho'. It is probably not healthy for general population.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

Matthew
To add even more, here's a paper in which they cite kava as an actual alternative treatment for epilepsy.

"In humans, kava disrupts motor and coordination systems and has anaesthetic and anxiolytic effects. Additional anticonvulsive effects have been reported and, in the 1960s, kava was used to treat patients with epilepsy."

Cairney, Sheree, Paul Maruff, and Alan R. Clough. 2002. “The Neurobehavioural Effects of Kava.” The Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 36 (5): 657–62. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-1614.2002.01027.x.

The REAL irony is that the Author from the first article that jumped out at you is but one of the authors in this other paper saying the exact opposite, lol

Last edited:

Crowe

Kava Curious
To add even more, here's a paper in which they cite kava as an actual alternative treatment for epilepsy.

"In humans, kava disrupts motor and coordination systems and has anaesthetic and anxiolytic effects. Additional anticonvulsive effects have been reported and, in the 1960s, kava was used to treat patients with epilepsy."

Cairney, Sheree, Paul Maruff, and Alan R. Clough. 2002. “The Neurobehavioural Effects of Kava.” The Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 36 (5): 657–62. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-1614.2002.01027.x.

The REAL irony is that the Author from the first article that jumped out at you is but one of the authors in this other paper saying the exact opposite, lol
Kap'n you and I are a lot a like. We get interested in something. Especially dealing with our health and it's research, research and more research. Glad I found this forum. Boots on the ground is always best!