What's new

This Week's Harvest! (9/20/20)

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I got my order this morning, it wasn't frozen but it was semi-frozen. Close enough in my book, considering the distance between Hawaii and NY.

I already devoured the Panaena, I mixed the whole thing in one go, it was very good and reminded me how good fresh kava tastes. A pleasant cucumber flavor, man I could get used to this... Am going to try another one later, I have the Hiwa and Hanakapi'ai which I know from Chris's kava, they tend to lean heavy, so probably one of those.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
I got my order this morning, it wasn't frozen but it was semi-frozen. Close enough in my book, considering the distance between Hawaii and NY.

I already devoured the Panaena, I mixed the whole thing in one go, it was very good and reminded me how good fresh kava tastes. A pleasant cucumber flavor, man I could get used to this... Am going to try another one later, I have the Hiwa and Hanakapi'ai which I know from Chris's kava, they tend to lean heavy, so probably one of those.
It would be nice if was possible to send temparature controlled consignments to private persons

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
The Nene was amazing, it was good dried but impressive fresh, almost like a completely different profile.
Totally agree - I think so far its been my favorite. Along with the Rahmadel. Sunday today and day off tomorrow so trying out the Isa. Its defrosting right now.
@kilakila We will see! We are harvesting Mo'i right now ::shaka::
Mo'i in its medium grind form is very anxiety-provoking for me! I wonder if the fresh frozen profile would be any different? I really need to come and stay at your ranch and try out the different kavas!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Totally agree - I think so far its been my favorite. Along with the Rahmadel. Sunday today and day off tomorrow so trying out the Isa. Its defrosting right now.

Mo'i in its medium grind form is very anxiety-provoking for me! I wonder if the fresh frozen profile would be any different? I really need to come and stay at your ranch and try out the different kavas!
I'm defrosting the spotted Hiwa. :giggle:

hightides42

our Roots run deep
We've just finished up 2nd pound of Hanakapi'ai this morning and defrosting Nene now. So very impressed and pleased with the Ranch's fresh awa it is no doubt our favorite form and preference going forward!
and Mo'i, a fave from GHK along with Papa Kea, then Nene and Mahakea coming in as a close second place from those offerings. Other than Squanch kava I have found a sudden great lack of desire for much of anything else.
Mahalo nui loa @Pu'u O Hoku Ranch you guys are doing it right and have earned a loyal customer couple here in southern NM!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
That looks pretty thick and it's making me thirsty!

What is your prep method and measure?
I cut the bag right open with scissors, I am using 1/2 pound in 2 washes. I use a blender first, I dump as much as I can get out of the bag into the blender without water. Next I add small amounts of hot water (not boiling) to the bag, swirl it around and keep dumping it into the blender until it's all in there. Probably 4-500ml. Blend for 3 minutes, dump through 75 micron strainer (knead 2-3 more minutes), then i add about 5-6 ice cubes and stir it in enough to chill it and then remove what's left of the ice cubes.

Voila, looks like that.

hightides42

our Roots run deep
1/2lb... awesome, lol. We've been experimenting and have been going with traditional prep using about a 1/4c root to 1c water. Need to dig out from storage the blender and scale soon, preferring gram weight measures to help determine and record that delicious zone. Blender proved invaluable for our maka grogs, haven't used it for first squeeze yet... I think frozen fresh pulp would best be processed using one, definitely going to try it~

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
I cut the bag right open with scissors, I am using 1/2 pound in 2 washes. I use a blender first, I dump as much as I can get out of the bag into the blender without water. Next I add small amounts of hot water (not boiling) to the bag, swirl it around and keep dumping it into the blender until it's all in there. Probably 4-500ml. Blend for 3 minutes, dump through 75 micron strainer (knead 2-3 more minutes), then i add about 5-6 ice cubes and stir it in enough to chill it and then remove what's left of the ice cubes.

Voila, looks like that.
How much water are you using? I'm slightly confused - 400 to 500mls for the whole package? Just over one cup? Yikes. Or do you mean 500mls four times? Which would make more sense to me! I'd like to try the blender method as my fingers just wouldn't hold up to kneading for so long! Plus I got bored after 10 minutes!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
How much water are you using? I'm slightly confused - 400 to 500mls for the whole package? Just over one cup? Yikes. Or do you mean 500mls four times? Which would make more sense to me! I'd like to try the blender method as my fingers just wouldn't hold up to kneading for so long! Plus I got bored after 10 minutes!
500ml X 2 washes, it is strong but I like to chug a shell and feel the effects right away. Hawaiian kava is wonderful but not as strong as Fijians or Vanu. The exception being the Nene, I used the same approach and it was too strong. You can try 6-700ml with that instead, times 2.

Edit: I haven't tried the Hanakapi'ai yet.

Last edited:

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
500ml X 2 washes, it is strong but I like to chug a shell and feel the effects right away. Hawaiian kava is wonderful but not as strong as Fijians or Vanu. The exception being the Nene, I used the same approach and it was too strong. You can try 6-700ml with that instead, times 2.

Edit: I haven't tried the Hanakapi'Ai yet.
Yup, that sounds way too strong for me! Guess I'm lucky in that a bag of frozen goes further for me! I tried the Nene and probably used the amount of water you recommend. It was perfect for my needs!

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast

Voila, looks like that.

What happens if you follow the instructions on the bag? 1lb added to 1,5 gallon ?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Yup, that sounds way too strong for me! Guess I'm lucky in that a bag of frozen goes further for me! I tried the Nene and probably used the amount of water you recommend. It was perfect for my needs!
Try adding a blender with whichever amount you prefer, I think it helps a lot.