What's new

those with social anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.

exit stage left
I'm just wondering what effects people see on their social anxiety when drinking kava. I find that I *want* to be more social when I'm drinking kava, I tend to post more online and message people on facebook, which are the two most comfortable places I make social connections, but at the same time, I don't feel as satisfied by simply communicating online. If only I felt comfortable going places under the influence of kava, it would help things immensely, because I want to socialize with people, in person. But I don't feel comfortable, I'm afraid people would be able to tell I was somewhat impaired.

I'm hoping for the next day effect. Tonight is a kava night, so we'll see how work goes tomorrow.

D

Deleted User01

I don't get social anxiety per se but there are social events that I would rather not attend. So a few tablespoons of Mo'i seems to do the trick. I turn into quite the "social butterfly". :D Of course that means I have to forgo Alcohol but I don't plan on sticking around that long anyway.

nhoeg

Kava Manliness
Kava helps me with social interaction. I just wish it didn't make me tired.
Damn, I feel the complete opposite about kava. I only use it alone before nighttime and I would sometimes wish it makes me more tired!

I don't think I have more social anxiety than what is considered "normal". But on occasions, when I feel tensed about meeting people, I think it works best to put a smile on:happy:, and force yourself out.

D

Deleted User01

@wormwood, do the "Heady" kavas make you tired as well? I normally don't get tired till 2-3 hours after I take something like Mo'i. By then, I'm ready to "go home" anyway. But, I'm a normally hyperactive person so that needs to be worked into the equation. Like maybe Kava slows me down so I'm less hyper and not so quick to "shoot from the hip". Oh yeah, that gets me into plenty of trouble. :rolleyes:

And @nhoeg, you can't take Kava "right before" bedtime. I suggest bedtime should be at least an hour past the last shell if not more. The ancient Islanders would drink their shells, shoot the shit, and then walk home. By then I imagine they were ready to sleep. If they weren't ready to sleep, then they turned their "kava eyes" lovingly upon their wives. And their wives would say ...:eek: Yeah, just like modern day wives, they ain't that thrilled with ya when you come back from "boys night out".

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
@Schmedward Social anxiety is what I was looking to curb when I found kava. I was taking way too much OTC St. John's Wort (it did help but was a seesaw effect trying to stay balanced on it) and it was affecting me physically. None of these side effects have I experienced with kava. If nothing else, the next-day chilled out effect is worth it alone. I'm trying to motivate myself to go caffeine-free again soon. I have to pull back from caffeine use regulary and I also find that when I'm caffeine-free or caffeine-minimal I have a better experience with kava. when I'm better about balancing other aspects of my life (diet, sleep, stimulants :coffee:) kava seems to have a more profound effect just in general. I'm more tuned in to it and to life I suppose. I can definitely get more out of social situations having some kava before hand. Had a high stress weekend out of town but premade kava and had a much better experience throughout.

Good luck though, it takes time and testing to find out the best kava for your personal needs (and chemistry, everyone seems to get something a little different out of it). That's also the great thing about it, you can dial in a brand or strain or even blend different kinds to your liking. it can be as personal or as social an experience as you want out of it.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I have never been a big social person. That's one reason I got married at 20, I don't like the games ppl play on one another. Found a good lady and stuck with her. So me being anti social is not that big of a deal, I don't seek social interaction. BUT, i am a regular church goer and a good dose of kava candy goes a long ways with all the hand shaking and the smiling and the hugging. Ugh why does the southern church tradition require so much touching. I even changed college majors after finally realizing I don't cozy upto touchy freely people.

Last edited:

exit stage left
Ha ha, my college major was theatre, and I'm finishing my second degree in music. Endless parades of touchy-feely people, but it allowed me to land a sweet job this summer where I'm writing/performing music for a theatre production and getting paid for it.

There are actually more shy people in theatre than you'd think. But I'm also able to turn it "on" when I need to to get the job done. I just don't really go out to the bars or parties. My close friends know if they want to hang out it will need to be smaller and more quiet. I'm sure my professional career suffers a little bit because I'm not good at networking, but maybe I can work on that.

I have yet to experience the "next day effect". I also work in fast food and had a shift today and I don't think I was less stressed... I definitely earned my kava tonight though.

Status
Not open for further replies.