What's new

Thoughts?

M

mlenny

Nakamalathome.com now (openly) sells Tudei under the name "True Kava". I'm just curious how everyone feels about this.

Thanks,
Matthew

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Nakamalathome.com now (openly) sells Tudei under the name "True Kava". I'm just curious how everyone feels about this.

Thanks,
Matthew
Hey there.

What you're actually seeing is the tail end of a dispute between two individuals, the owner of Nakamal @ Home and the director of the now closed "True Kava Labs". True kava labs is no longer in the kava industry.

N@H labels it distinctly as non-noble, which is truthfully all we ask for. So technically we don't necessarily have a problem with him carrying it. The issue I feel is that when he does carry a tudei kava, it will inevitably invite questions regarding his other kavas as well. Obviously they're not tudei, but to a newbie that sees the word, it may just produce further questions.

Be that as it may, once that's out of stock it will be no longer available. So this feud is almost over, and we can stop answering questions like "Why does this kava have a guy playing a trumpet on it?", lol.

TL/DR: Bad blood.

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
Hey there.

What you're actually seeing is the tail end of a dispute between two individuals, the owner of Nakamal @ Home and the director of the now closed "True Kava Labs". True kava labs is no longer in the kava industry.

N@H labels it distinctly as non-noble, which is truthfully all we ask for. So technically we don't necessarily have a problem with him carrying it. The issue I feel is that when he does carry a tudei kava, it will inevitably invite questions regarding his other kavas as well. Obviously they're not tudei, but to a newbie that sees the word, it may just produce further questions.

Be that as it may, once that's out of stock it will be no longer available. So this feud is almost over, and we can stop answering questions like "Why does this kava have a guy playing a trumpet on it?", lol.

100% people can sell what they want as long as it's LABELED. You won't catch me doing any Tuedei but you wont catch me drinking vodka anymore either!

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
When they openly sell it and have at least a token warning about it, I think it is fine as they are being honest and transparent.

The ones selling tudei and claiming 'noble' are the iblis and devil of the market and bazaar.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Hey there.

Is there an in-depth thread somewhere about this? I'm trying to think if I recognize the name "True Kava Labs" or not. I feel like I bought something with that name on the label, like a "our product is certified by True Kava Labs" or something along those lines.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
In the True Kava description it says "Nakamal At Home has been accused of mixing tudei kava into our noble kava products on online forums which we have never done, not even once. This has caused many people to ask us for tudei kava powder which we didn’t even stock." Wait, isn't their chiefs jungle also tudei and always has been? they sold that for years. They called it weekend kava IIRC and described it as really strong stuff, not sure if they even outright said tudei at the time I bought it.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Chief’s Jungle and Niugini were both Tudei Kavas sold by N@H. I believe they were both discontinued in 2011 or 2012. Back then the Noble and Tudei discussion didn’t really exist in the US Kava community, or at least the understanding was different. We used to call Tudei “medicinal Kava” for instance.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Yeah I think the last time I saw it might've been 2014? Chief's Jungle that is. I think the label said weekend grade in big letters. That was the first traditional prep kava I've tried IIRC.

EDIT: I decided to look at Wayback Machine to see what the description they used and found this little gem lol.

"This is not the best choice for inexperienced kava drinkers but that doesn't seem to stop them from ordering it" I wonder why, based on their description.

Last edited: