What's new

Too Much Info

kl.coachcristina

Kava Curious
Hello everyone. I'm SO glad to find this site. I've looked through some of the topics and I see there are a lot of you out there with lots of information and experience. I'm here to pick your brain!

I ordered from konakavafarm Saturday - just the sampler kit. Comes with "...a 1/4 lb
bag of Mahakea Powdered Kava Root, a Reusable Muslin Extraction Bag, a
1 oz pack of Instant Kava Drink (Cocoa), six 30% Kavalovetone
Capsules, and a 10% Coupon on your next order."

After ordering (duh!) I found a blog that was very informative (kavasseur). Gave reviews of many, many kinds of kava kava, including the Mahakea root I had just ordered. After that, I read some more and discovered N@H and I placed an order for some of the Chief's Jungle kava. Shipped already!

I prelude with all this to illustrate I've read a LOT on it, but there's just SO much information out there that I'd like to hear from y'all.

I recognize the sanctity of this root (and all others, frankly) and I am utterly fascinated by natural remedies, herbal remedies, and anything Gaia.

I want to know what it means to say "pay ...dues to the Kava Gods". After reading, I'm assuming it means that the initial kava intake is really more of a build-up. Is this right?

I'm also getting an understanding that the capsules are fairly useless. Is it just a waste? Or is there a way to make them viable?

I know there is nobody on this green earth who would post "Yeah definitely take more than what they suggest" for fear of repercussions but I am just very curious about the FDA regs on this stuff. So is it TRULY inadvisable to over-prepare (mix extra) or is that just what they say to cover their butts? Also: Does it negate the affects of Kava to mix in honey or sugar or anything? Or is it considered just plain disrespectful to the nature of the root?

I also understand there's some kind of ritual to it. I've read of one where the drinker claps twice, sips, then claps twice again. I'd love to find an authentic kava ceremony on youtube or something. Anyone know of one?

I'm not looking to get a buzz per se, but I am definitely looking for an alternative to alcohol because we are often in many social situations and I have a big social anxiety problem. I don't like chit chat much and can sometimes be viewed as aloof because of it. I tend to like fun, enlivening conversations of depth. I usually have a couple beers and loosen up but don't like the feeling of alcohol so I'm hoping my slow (s-l-o-w) experience/education with kava will help with that.

Any/all insight would be helpful. Obviously if anyone has any suggestions on how to best use this starter kit I just ordered, that'd be greatly appreciated. (ie, take the pills, then drink? Skip the capsules, drink the juice? drink all the juice in one night? empty the capsules, into water? etc.)

Cristina

kl.Project460

Kava Enthusiast
Skip the pills. Enjoy your Mahakea, and the instant kava should be pretty good, I herd their decent. And be easy on the chief jungle...youll see what I mean. Cheif jungle is very potent when mixed with 2% milk, and the taste is VERY hard to take down for the new coming, but it grows on ya. Kava capsules are fairly useless and way overpriced. A good instant kava solution is paradise kavas extract balm (havent tried it, but have only herd good things).

A good kava vendor is kavabyrex. His Tongan Pride and Fiji Waka are my favorites at the moment.

Also paradise kavas 100% awa dried root is top notch, but a little on the pricey side, but well worth it. The owner is veryy responsive and very kind.

About the paying your dues, its a buidup, or reverse tolerance. You must "show the kava gods your worthy of feeling the kava", or paying your dues.

I hope you enjoy your adventure into kava!