What's new

TOXIC Methysticin levels in kava?

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
What in particular about methysticin is concerning to you in that report? It seems to show that methysticin is beneficial in certain aspects, and I don't see anything that suggests toxicity.

> methysticin was identified as a potent NF-kappaB inhibitor with minimal toxicity
> The authors suggested that methysticin might be responsible for kava’s chemopreventative efficacy.

This suggests that methysticin is anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer, though this is a reductive statement for sure.

> Kava extract, methysticin and DHK protected brain tissue against ischaemic damage in experimental models.
Methysticin has a protective effect your brain in situations of inadequate blood flow.

It's always good to be cautious about the health implications of anything you eat or put into your body. I am as well. But currently available evidence suggests that kava is quite safe, and even beneficial. I would like to see more controlled studies with aqueous kava preparations (i.e. the traditional drink) for more clear data though.
 

doogalas

Newbie
I appreciate the informed replies. I am not super informed about the effects of individual kavalactones. You are right, I am now reading positive effects of methysticin. I read it causes cell death in cancerous tumors. Pipermethystine is the one that is concerning. Supposedly it isn't in the roots though. I was just hoping for more clarification to be schooled by other friends of this great plant.
 

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I drink kava nightly, going on two years now. I am concerned about the kavalactone adverse health effects, are you? I am not really understanding exactly how toxic it is and what levels are in the root. Is it safe to ingest this daily or am I unknowingly killing my liver/life? https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/methysticin
Anecdotally there are many daily drinkers on this site ranging from 1-20+ years and so far the worst side effect is dermo - a well known and documented side effect. If you have been drinking for 2 years - then you are just fine.
 
Top