What's new

Traditional grog strength/dilution by region

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I know the fijians (and just learned the tongans) make their grogs intentionally a bit watery and mild. And the people of Vanuatu like a strong grog. Does anyone have more specific details? How watery are we talking here? How many tbsp or cups constitutes a fiji or vanuatu grog?

How about Hawaiians, do they go for strong brews or no? Hawaiian kava tradition is the one I hear about the least, I suppose because it doesnt have quite as long of a history as some. Do Hawaiians have all day sessions or short ones?

I'd like to know from anthropological curiosity as well as personal interest. I feel I ought to give the different styles a try. I dont know how strong a vanuatu or fijian grog is to compare but I have a hunch i am more close to doing it fijian style, but have recently gone deeper and made some strong shells. My current brew comes out an almost-but-not-quite opaque tan/brown but I see stronger grogs can have swirls of oiliness and lots of grit floating in an opaquely brown shell. My shells are like ice coffee with cream rather than chocolate milk :)

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Also consider, there's likely a difference in kava preferences when you compare modern times, with the pre-contact, pre-missionary era. Traditional 'awa culture had nearly died in Hawai'i, so preferences are probably all over the map these days. When I read old accounts of local kava drinking, it definitely sounds like it was on the stronger/middle side. Like Marquesas, for example, old accounts of their kava sounds strong to me...and the Marquesas were a final stepping stone to Hawai'i.

As for modern habits, Samoa drinks similarly to Tonga and Fiji. This is in group or ceremonial settings. Guys that drink privately or with a couple friends probably kick it up a notch, but I'm just guessing there.
Also, it looks to me like they drink it strong in Micronesia/Pohnpei. I only say this from youtube videos I've seen from there.

Last edited:

Hill60

Kava Curious
Also consider, there's likely a difference in kava preferences when you compare modern times, with the pre-contact, pre-missionary era. Traditional 'awa culture had nearly died in Hawai'i, so preferences are probably all over the map these days. When I read old accounts of local kava drinking, it definitely sounds like it was on the stronger/middle side. Like Marquesas, for example, old accounts of their kava sounds strong to me...and the Marquesas were a final stepping stone to Hawai'i.

As for modern habits, Samoa drinks similarly to Tonga and Fiji. This is in group or ceremonial settings. Guys that drink privately or with a couple friends probably kick it up a notch, but I'm just guessing there.
Also, it looks to me like they drink it strong in Micronesia/Pohnpei. I only say this from youtube videos I've seen from there.
Fiji Indians seem to drink kava a lot more than Fijians as a social drink rather than ceremonial, of course this is anecdotal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
I can't answer the question but I'd like to add that there will be a difference in amount/potency if using fresh root.