What's new

Traditional Kava Strainer Bags Now Available In 50 and 75 Microns

Status
Not open for further replies.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Those are nice looking bags, with the flange at top to easily dump the kava in. But doesn't the flange get in the way when kneading?

ThePiper

Kava Lover
So am I correct in thinking 50 micron is a finer mesh than 75? How would that compare to pantyhose? I dont like too much grit and ive had like 5 different types of kava strainer and they are all ridiculous in that they let through thick grit, like actual thick muddy sludge and not just the little milky layer, or even entire slivers of makas. I want something that I dont have to muddy up 50 times before it can actually function as a good filter. And something that is easy to knead vigorously without breaking it

verticity

I'm interested in things
nope, the handles help you hold the bag better while kneading. You'll be able to easily make a few cups to 5 gallons of kava easily with these bags.
Is the flange ("handle"?) made out of rigid or flexible plastic? In the latter case I can see how that could work.

verticity

I'm interested in things
So am I correct in thinking 50 micron is a finer mesh than 75? How would that compare to pantyhose? I dont like too much grit and ive had like 5 different types of kava strainer and they are all ridiculous in that they let through thick grit, like actual thick muddy sludge and not just the little milky layer, or even entire slivers of makas. I want something that I dont have to muddy up 50 times before it can actually function as a good filter. And something that is easy to knead vigorously without breaking it
A micron is a thousandth of a millimeter. That refers to the size of the holes. 75 microns is pretty fine. 50 microns is even finer. Any finer than that and you basically need the super strength of @Steve Mariotti to squeeze anything through them. Both of those would be much finer than a single layer of pantyhose.

Last edited:

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I ve been using this type of strainer for a while. Truly fantastic.

What some of the heavy drinkers do is to use stockings or fijian bags for straining and kneading and these fine bags for a quick filtration. This way it lasts for longer:)

verticity

I'm interested in things

What some of the heavy drinkers do is to use stockings or fijian bags for straining and kneading and these fine bags for a quick filtration. This way it lasts for longer:)
What lasts for longer, @Henry ????
If you mean the fine filter bag, the Cactus Kava ones seem like a smaller version of this one, and they are pretty tough.

Kavafied

Kava Vendor

Same here, wanted to give everyone access to these as they are the best! We made sure ours is food safe as well. 50 microns is pretty fine for those that like it super smooth. 75 microns is great. Usually with those, I'll do a triple filtration process to get a smoother drink.

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
Once you use these, you'll never go back to anything else for traditional prep.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
What lasts for longer, @Henry ????
If you mean the fine filter bag, the Cactus Kava ones seem like a smaller version of this one, and they are pretty tough.

I prepare kava for lots of people and with all the kneading the nice, big strainer won't last forever. I suppose you can use it with no problems for your small batches for months or years, but if you apply a lot of force and knead for 10+ people then I recommend using regular strainer first and then using the 70 micron one for just filtering the grog

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
Are these replacing the free Fijian or a whole new product . ? @Kavafied

By the way I'm re addicted to the aluball hahah. But I still do traditional so def gonna try it!
These type of bags have been used for awhile. We just made sure to get them made with food safe material and processes by the manufacturer and offer them in two different microns ratings. Having them food safe was the most important.

Status
Not open for further replies.