What's new

Tried over 30 different kavas and they all feel the same. Anyone else have the same experience?

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
I have probably ordered and tried over 30 kavas. I honestly wish I could say I can tell the difference between heady kavas, body kavas, balanced kavas, energizing kavas, etc, but they all essentially feel the same to me. The exception would be Stone and Kava Supreme. I usually feel some more intensity from them, but that's it. I definitely can tell between the taste of kavas, which is what motivated me to purchase certain kinds over others. Palarasul is the least worst-tasting for me and consequently I feel the least amount of nausea from it.

Anyway, here is what I do feel from every kava: I usually start drinking at 3:00 PM. Initially, I feel a bit of euphoria, and overall, life appears much more manageable from my temporary "kava vantage point." Life ain't that bad is it? I often say to myself after the first dew gulps of kava. Then it gradually eases into mental tiredness for a few hours after that. Not the type where I could easily fall asleep, but it becomes more difficult to think in general, both good and bad thoughts. At around 7:00, I start to nod off and end up falling asleep for about 20 minutes. Then I feel as if I didn't have any kava at all. That was a bit off topic, but I was wondering if I am the only one who cannot tell between the effects of different kavas? Maybe I need to get in touch with my feelings more, but not sure where to start with that one. :)

Halibut_Acid

Krunkadelic
My girlfriend also cannot. She also drinks it with me every day but she says she can't tell the difference. She is happy to drink whatever kava. I have seen her become more tired from certain kavas though for sure.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
i believe the Vanuatu way of drinking kava offers the best opportunity to appreciate the unique effects of cultivars. make it thick and strong, pour yourself a massive first shell and drink it quickly, followed by one or two quick top ups. you should notice unique features more clearly than if you just drink small shells over a couple of hours

Zaphod

Kava Lover
i believe the Vanuatu way of drinking kava offers the best opportunity to appreciate the unique effects of cultivars. make it thick and strong, pour yourself a massive first shell and drink it quickly, followed by one or two quick top ups. you should notice unique features more clearly than if you just drink small shells over a couple of hours
This is my preference. Hit that first shell hard. Thick like a good New England clam chowder. After that it is maintenance and ride the wave to bed!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Yesterday I tried slamming as much as I could at first, then sipping it. Worked nicely. I used a carbonator which I think helps quite a bit with the nausea.
The key is to always chug that first shell, the thicker the better, like paint, lol.

It doesn't need to be much more than 4-6oz, which is the average traditional shell size.