What's new

Unfortunately I have to let Kava go...

Bob Chill

Kava Curious
Hey Folks,
If anybody read the kava rash thread they know that I fell victim to a significant itchy rash after about a month of use. I took a full month off and gave it another shot a week ago. I only had 1 aluball washed twice and 6 hours after my dose my head/chest/back/arms turned hot and red and my face swelled up a little. I used a different strain than the one I was using daily before the first rash. No itch this time and thankfully it quickly went away after 24 hours. It looks like I'm one of the select few who has acute reactions to something in the plant. I'm not allergic to a single damn thing I've ever ingested either so it's just bad luck/genes with this.

If anyone is interested in some Kava and a lightly used aluball send me a PM and make me an offer. Here's what I have:

1/2 pound of GHK M'oi med grind
1/2 pound+ GHK Hanakapi'Ai med grind
1/8th pound Squanch Waka med grind
Couple servings of GHK Boroguru micro
Aluball shaker and ball

For those that remember me as the guy who used Kava to replace alcohol, I'm not drinking! I seem to have grown into my sober skin this time around. Better than my last quit. I'm pretty pragmatic in general. I've been reflecting on myself quite a bit and have realized that I'm in pretty good shape for someone nearing 50. My diet is as good as it's ever been. I get enough exercise. I take my vitamins. And in general I feel pretty good. Drinking alcohol really makes no sense from a health perspective. It's been by far the most poisonous thing I've been putting in my body for many years. It's an unsustainable lifestyle. I can't do moderation. Been there done that. I can do it for a couple months but always end up back to the baseline daily drinker that my body seems to need.

Recreational substance habits all come with some negative effects. There is no golden elixir without consequences. Some consequences are really mild and absolutely no big deal. Others are more serious require paying the piper at some point. The problem with alcohol is paying the piper can be really serious. I think I've had my fun there and it's time to move on before the piper knocks on my door.

It's a REALLY big bummer that my body doesn't agree with Kava. My wife is bummed for me as well. She knew where I was going with it. I've been talking to her a lot about myself lately. Something most husbands suck at. LOLOL. I really don't want to live a totally sober life to be completely honest but going forward whatever I choose to do can't include alcohol, kava, or anything where paying the piper = disease.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I would recommend getting into chamomile tea as a way to mellow out if Kava isn't working for you. I often drink chamomile on nights where I want to relax and de-stress, but not necessarily get rooted. It's a very effective nerve-soother.

D

Deleted User01

Sorry you are allergic to Kava but congratulations on cutting down on alcohol.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
This is a good thing fr sure!

As kavassuer pointed out there are many herbs ( many in the mint family) that are great for relaxing without recreational effects or side effects
List here

Valerian ( tincture is best ) 1 to 5 droppers full no overdose so have fun experimenting
Chamomile - 2 tabespoons steeped for 30 minutes in boiled water , cover to keepsteam in
Skullcap fresh tincture 1 to 2 droppers full
Catnip. smoke , tincture or tea 1 to 2 tablespoons
Passionflower. 1 to 2 droppers fresh tincture
Lemon balm - fresh tincture . no overdose experiment around the 1 dropper to 3 tablespoons area
Hops fresh tincture . 1 to 2 droppers

kavayo

Kava Enthusiast
I have had this problem before. Water and coconut oil fixed it for me but that might not be an option for everyone. Great to hear you're feeling good sober and content without the booze!

Bob Chill

Kava Curious
Thanks for all the tips folks. I do have valerian and really enjoy making a blended tea with it. I've been doing that for a long time. I will definitely explore other things.

As far as the allergy or "reaction" goes...I'm quite skeptical it can be fixed with supplements. The second time was a very aggressive reaction within 6 hours of consuming it. When I was say my skin was hot, I mean it was like sunburned and very warm to the touch. This wasn't a hives reaction but a pretty bad one. Especially the swollen face. It's something I don't want to try and work through. I have to listen to my body on this one. There is something in Kava that my body tries to reject. Benedryl didn't even help much. I'm unsure what kind of reaction to call it other than really strange and unnerving.

I do have some candies. I may try one down the line and see if it's plant matter or active ingredients causing the issue.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Thanks for all the tips folks. I do have valerian and really enjoy making a blended tea with it. I've been doing that for a long time. I will definitely explore other things.

As far as the allergy or "reaction" goes...I'm quite skeptical it can be fixed with supplements. The second time was a very aggressive reaction within 6 hours of consuming it. When I was say my skin was hot, I mean it was like sunburned and very warm to the touch. This wasn't a hives reaction but a pretty bad one. Especially the swollen face. It's something I don't want to try and work through. I have to listen to my body on this one. There is something in Kava that my body tries to reject. Benedryl didn't even help much. I'm unsure what kind of reaction to call it other than really strange and unnerving.

I do have some candies. I may try one down the line and see if it's plant matter or active ingredients causing the issue.
Get in touch with Kirk. In one of his articles he mentionef that there is some special plant in Vamuatu that people have traditionally used to treat what can be described as a rare kava allergy (puffy face, red and itchy skin etc)

kavayo

Kava Enthusiast
Get in touch with Kirk. In one of his articles he mentionef that there is some special plant in Vamuatu that people have traditionally used to treat what can be described as a rare kava allergy (puffy face, red and itchy skin etc)
Who is this man you speak of? I would like to know about this plant.