What's new

Vanuatu Quality Standard - cold water vs. hot?

Zaphod

Kava Lover
So my question in the pinned thread above is likely lost in the 11 year cluster muck. I figured I would start a separate thread to ask my question and see if I can't start the discussion. I am curious why the Vanuatu standard specifically calls out cold water. Using traditional prep methods and a strainer bag, I definitely get a stronger brew with really hot tap water. That being said I usually like the effect of a cold water prep better. Thoughts? What is your preference and why? Do the scientists that assembled the quality standard believe hot water is non-traditional or do they believe there is a health issue with it?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I guess no one wanted to weigh in on this one...maybe I should have asked if during rectal administration people prefer cold water or hot...:eek:
LOL, I have no idea why they prefer it in Vanuatu, I prefer hot water extraction, I have been led to believe that it breaks down the kavalactones off of the cells better and more effectively.

On the other hand, when I use the aluball, I use room temp water, not ice cold but definitely not hot.

D

Deleted User01

When I make traditional kava (which is rare), I heat up the water to 128-130. I do this because I read a study were they did kava at various temps and measured the kavalactone extraction. 128-130 was deemed ideal. However I would certainly let it cool down before drinking it and for the reasons @ThePiper mentioned. Warm kava is not my cup of tea. :D

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
The Product Definition in the Vanuatu standard defines "kava" as both the plant and the "traditional food beverage". "Cold water extraction" is specified to distinguish the beverage from tea (boiling water) and from products made with solvents other than water. "Cold" is a relative term, and I believe it could include water up to about 130°F.
So it's technically not cold?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
140°F is the generally recognized point where kavalactone degradation begins, but it does take quite a while. Much warmer than that and you'll get slimy undrinkable scum.
I tried Chris's boiling method once and only once, lol...I know exactly what you mean.

D

Deleted User01

I was using 130 degrees because I was blending it and then kneading it. My theory was that it was the "perfect" temperature after blending. So 130-125. AS they said, hot water produces slimy kava. The texture alone might make you vomit. :wtf:

Greywolf

Kava Curious
I take it the ideal is to extract the maximum essence, while avoiding degradation of same. I can handle a strong taste in the interest of impact!

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Thanks Deleted User - I think that distinction between a hot tea and a Kava beverage makes a lot of sense. I definitely get a stronger brew out of using really hot tap water during traditional prep. I also believe that it extracts different levels of individual kavalactones, but this is harder to quantify without testing since any individual kava experience can be changed greatly by many factors. I just found it odd that they specifically called out cold and wondered if there was some other reason driving it.