What's new

Powdered Kava Review Vanuatu

OldUser01

Chris was kind enough to send me a free sample of this kava together with my regular order. I was very excited to see it after reading the story behind it (it's always cool to imagine the actual producer/production process when you get your kava).

In order to give my full attention to and appreciation for this kava, I made sure I fasted for around 5-6 hours before drinking it. I came back home, dimmed the lights, played some relaxing music and began my little kava ritual. I slowly opened the little kava bag and saw the very light brown, fine (but still good for a fijian strainer) powder. The smell was delicate and almost pleasant. I took 8tbs and put them into a cup. I then mixed some warm water with coconut oil and started kneading. The water quickly turned into milky, light brown liquid that continued to smell rather delicately.

I quickly drank the first shell and was ready to drink some ginger beer afterwards (as I always do with so many other Vanuatu kavas), but then realised that I wouldn't actually need any chasers. This kava has a really smooth, fresh and mild taste. Don't get me wrong, it's still kava and you wouldn't drink it for the taste, but it is certainly one of the best tasting vanuatu kavas I've had a chance to try. It obviously has a slightly bitter, earthy flavour, but it's not unpleasant to drink.

I started feeling the effects of this kava just a few moments after the first shell. My body relaxed, my mind calmed down and I quickly recognised I was in one my favorite kava places, feeling a bit heavy and sedated, but still clear and alert. The effects are certainly not overpowering, this kava doesn't give this kind of narcotic kava high that some of the stronger vanuatu kavas (or even some of the Chris' hawaiian micro kavas) do. In sum, it's a smooth tasting kava with smooth and pleasant effects. Great for drinking during the week and/or for introducing new people into the world of kava. There are two reasons why I didn't give it 5 shells: 1) There are a few hawaiian kavas sold by Chris that most certainly deserve strong 5 shells (I am going to review at least one of them soon) and I wanted to highlight the fact htat while "Small Hands" is very good, it's still not as good as many other GHK's products; 2) I actually like this strong, narcotic effect of certain borogurus (or nambawan) and it's something I look for in Vanuatu kavas. It's just a personal preference. "Small hands" is very pleasant, relaxing and potent, but it's milder than some of the hardcore vanuatu kavas. I bet that some people might want to give it 5 shells precisely because it's not as strong (both in terms of effects and when it comes to flavour) as some of the dark borogurus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
Awesome review Henry! (y)
And as to be expected from Chris; this small hands kava sounds like a treat and I'd been waiting to see more reviews of this one in particular.
I'm glad we have the contrast of vanuatu being offered at Ghk now; not as if it was missing, but it certainly doesn't hurt since life is variety and variety is life.:D
Exactly for the reasons you've proposed; kava has variables, so if I'd already grown accustomed to it, some days I'd give it a 4 and some days I'd give it a 5 all dependent on pain, anxiety, wanting more potency or less etc...

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Nice review, hit all the descriptions I was lookin' for. I was surprised to see it was lighter colored & flavored after seeing the number ratings lean more toward the sedative/muscular side. I'd usual expect a light kava strain in that scenario. Sounds like it definitely has a 2 or a 5 in the top 3 of the chemotype. Perhaps like regular Borogu, a bit ?

D

Deleted User01

Nice review Henry. I was getting worried there for a second because it looked like you did drink Kava for its "wonderful taste". (a running joke around here). :D I totally agree that many people like myself do not want to get "knocked out" by their Kava. I want to be mildly sedated, relax, do stuff, sleep well, and wake up feeling good the next day. Sounds like Small Hand fits that bill. And who in the world comes up with these Kava names anyway?

P.S. We appreciate how you fasted and payed such close attention to all the details so you could give us an accurate description. Well played!