What's new

KAVA PRODUCT ALERT Wakacon Vanuatu - not what it seems

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
I think it is completely appropriate and a good idea for a tag.
I think it's because of the tag I actually saw this post. Thanks for doing that! I'm prob going to toss the rest of my bag of Wakacon that's been in my fridge for a couple months at least now. Can't trust it.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
....It doesn't look too complicated and i'm sure the Kava Scientists could suggest an affordable and standard type of test equipment..
Yea it would be great if there was the equivalent of a pregnancy test strip. Dip it in your Kava if it's Blue you're good, if it's Pink........ well wait nine months and see. :nailbiting:

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
Just how orange and foggy does the sample have to be to be considered tudei? I did this test on N@H's Soloman's Island and Stone. Stone came out completely clear yellow, but Soloman's Island was certainly more orangish, but not really foggy. Dr. Lebeau's sample of tudei looked almost red it was so dark. Sorry I didn't take pictures, I might rerun the experiment.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Wow, I'm actually quite surprised that stone came out yellow. The true definition of a "beefy noble".

KAVATOM

Kava Curious
I'd be really disappointed if Solomon turns out to be tudei. It doesn't seem to have the obvious "two-day" effects I've read about but who knows.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
I'd be really disappointed if Solomon turns out to be tudei. It doesn't seem to have the obvious "two-day" effects I've read about but who knows.
Yeh, I second that. There's really nothing similar between Solomon's and Wakacon Vanuatu, at least in my experience. Solomon's is a staple in my kava collection.

infraredz

BULA!
I did see it, just forgot everything I read there apparently :confused: He mentioned 99 cent store glass vials work fine. That's what I was looking for...
Yep, 99c glass "spice jars" is what they were called at least.

Anything that is small, glass and has a lid (so it can be agitated/shaken) will work though.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
^^ Listen to this man, I used methanol and plastic containers. Bad move. Had a counter full of methanol and kava after a few days.

infraredz

BULA!
Yeah, plastic and these organic solvents do not go well together!

Last thing you need is melting, strong acetonic extractions of tudei kava god-knows-where in your kitchen or something.

Steve T

Kava Enthusiast
To add to Violet's test, I tested the Wakacon Vanuatu today along with BKH Melo Melo and Boroguru.

I used 2 teaspoons of each kava and 75ml (instead of 25ml, didn't have a measuring device that small). Shook each of them for less than a minute and let them sit for around 3:30 hours for the first 2 pics.

IMG_0049.jpg
^ Wakacon Vanuatu / BKH Melo Melo / BKH Boroguru​

And another pic in the reverse order, to show background visibility and cloudiness:
IMG_0047.jpg
^ BKH Boroguru / BKH Melo Melo / Wakacon Vanuatu​

After 19 hours, overnight:
Overnight, 19 hours.jpg

^ BKH Boroguru / BKH Melo Melo / Wakacon Vanuatu​

Keep in mind that I used 75ml of acetone instead of 25ml, so the results will show roughly 3x less color.

The images may not be perfect (you can see the iPhone's "wide angle lens" at work), but from my own observations and these images:

1. It's obvious that I got the same batch of tudei "Vanuatu" kava from Wakacon.

2. Boroguru looks great. The images may not show it but it is very clear and golden.

3. Melo Melo seems questionable to me because of the cloudiness. It reminds me of Chris from GHK's kava tests with the 1/8 tudei spiked kava image. I am only critical because I continue to have kava hangovers despite not taking the Wakacon kava anymore. Maybe it is just me though. [edit: checking the results the next day, the cloudiness has lessened but is still present. It looks much closer to boroguru. Probably no need for concern.]

Anyway those were my results.

Last edited:

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
I noticed that they stopped selling this kava on Amazon.

It has me worried because I drank like 1.75 lbs of it using a wire strainer, and from violet's picture it is 100% tudei, not a mix. And all those liver damage reports were from alcoholics drinking tudei kava extracts, and even though I've been sober for 2 years I can't help but get paranoid.

Even drinking noble kavas now I feel a similar fatigue, which has me worried that the tudei kava somehow gave me a fatty liver which lags when processing good kava. Or maybe it's just a quality of sleep situation, unknowingly (or knowingly) waking up in the middle of the night since I have insomnia.

Does anyone notice similar effects after drinking koniak, ISA, or tudei kavas for a while? Maybe a detox is in order of no kava at all.
I doubt it. Some kavalactones have a half life of 9 hours, meaning the elimination of a decent dose of kavalactones could take a long time (at 18 hours post kava you'd be at about 1/4th concentration). The liver is very resilient and constantly regenerates itself. Any serious damage would have already shown up, and any damage it did do has likely repaired itself now.

infraredz

BULA!
Just because I think it is important, I need to address two things:

1. It is vital that everyone using this test use the same solvent/kava ratio. The colorimetric result may not (and probably is not) linear meaning that using 3x more solvent will give a result 3x lighter. I highly doubt that this colorimetric result is linear,
2. The cloudiness is normal and not as cause for concern. I need to add that to my page so if it isn't there, someone can remind me. When I first contacted Dr. Lebot to check my methodology, and confirm my results, he answered the question regarding cloudiness: "Centrifugation will improve the colors, but your acetonic extract of Borogoru is of the right light yellow color, typical of this variety and this is how it is here. "

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I have been ordering and using Wakacon Vanuatu, for months. I had problems making me edgy. Guess I know why. I would think if it takes 2 days to leave your body, and I have been using it for months, I would have it accumulate in my system. I'm going to email the company, because I have had to several times. I got there email in my contacts. Anyway, I have a pound and a half, of it. I think they should replace it with the Wakacon Fijian. Thanks for shining light on this. It directly effects me. Much, love. Roaddoggy....

violet

Do all things with love
@Roaddog Dang, I wonder how much of it got out? I am surprised since they said they hadn't had any complaints until I said something, this last batch was entirely different from the first. I still have some of the very first bag I ordered from them in a freezer at a friend's house (I had gotten there too late to squeeze and then forgot it the next day). If I remember the next time I go I'll pull some out to do a solvent test.

They were really nice about the whole situation, I had no issues with getting a refund on the bag I had. Sorry to hear you experienced bad effects from it too. I can only recommend from here on out to solvent test everything if you are using an unfamiliar vendor or something that could even be remotely questionable. I think it's awesome that we have so many quality vendors that regularly participate here in the forums (y), which is probably the safest places from which to order kava.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Ya, for sure testing is the way. I would be interested, in finding out, If I have been ordering it for a while, or If Its been an ongoing problem. If you have some of the last batch, you hold the answer. I look forward to your test. Much love. Roaddog....

violet

Do all things with love
I would very surprised if my prior batch doesn't test as noble. While that prior Wakacon Vanuatu packed some real punch, I could end a session at 1 am and fly to my feet ready to start my day before 9 am, invigorated by the great sleep I'd get on it with no lingering effects that would slow me down or hold me back. It definitely felt noble in that there were no second day effects, except for a little bit of residual "shield" that I get from most all kavas. Other Vanuatu kavas I've had left me with a very distinct lazy feeling upon awakening that would disappear once I got some tea and breakfast in me. It wasn't necessarily a negative feeling, except that it was incentive to lack motivation for a little bit.

There's an Amazon reviewer who may have purchased their Wakacon Vanuatu around the same time I got my last bag who did the solvent test and said it was negative.