What's new

Warm, cool, or room temperature water for prep?

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
It's a waxy oil that you're trying to extract from the wood fibers. Anything that loosens up the oil and thins it seems like a win.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
I haven't got the Vanuatu3 to hit me as hard as a few nights ago, just mild but nice. I am a novice and it might be my prep skills aren't up to snuff yet. I sprained or chipped my ankle this morning bad so I am just couching away the day with my leg raised. So I made myself a nice batch or Vanuatu3 and listened to space rock all day but never really got there no matter how I drank throughout the morning/afternoon. Well I limped out to the mail box and to my surprise the KWK Borongoru was out there plus the sample packs of Kava Kandy. So i had to make up some Borongoru to try it out. Much stronger tasting then the Vanuatu3 and wow one shell of the first wash has me right back like I felt a few days ago!

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
In my experience water temp has little to do with it. Room temp is fine. The amount used and agitation are by far better determinants. I use the blender method religiously. It is much quicker than the traditional method and consistently delivers a good grog, so long as you're using a good kava to begin with.
Can you please explain how you do it?

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
I had seen that before, but was wondering if he did anything different. Does it really take a whole cup when 2 washes way only takes 5 or 6 tablespoons with the same amount of water?

verticity

I'm interested in things
I had seen that before, but was wondering if he did anything different. Does it really take a whole cup when 2 washes way only takes 5 or 6 tablespoons with the same amount of water?
A whole cup will make a very potent brew. I would just use the same ratio you use for kneading prep: in my case 2 tbs per 8 oz water. I would not expect the preparation method to have that great of an effect on potency: that's really determined by how much kava you use. If anything, I would expect the blender method to be somewhat more potent per unit of kava powder, so you might need a little bit less, actually.

spacegirlelt

Daydreamer
Me personally, I'll put water on the oven at five and then stop it right before it boils [there are some bubbles in the water], and cool it down for a bit, might try it at lukewarm temperatures next time. I really want to get the most out of the kava I use, and it really helps to have some warmth to it but not very much. I've also heard 75 degrees F [room temp] being very conducive to kava preparation. And another thing--KWK's borongoru is amazing. You'll like it a lot.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Me personally, I'll put water on the oven at five and then stop it right before it boils [there are some bubbles in the water], and cool it down for a bit, might try it at lukewarm temperatures next time. I really want to get the most out of the kava I use, and it really helps to have some warmth to it but not very much. I've also heard 75 degrees F [room temp] being very conducive to kava preparation. And another thing--KWK's borongoru is amazing. You'll like it a lot.
The borongory landed on Saturday and it is excellent. In fact I even had a shell this morning before work :happy:

-33-

Trailer Park Boys - watch it on netflix!
celebrated breaking through to the other side last night by watching Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas followed by nodding off to bed while listening to Grails!
Hell yea man.... I can't even count how many times I've watched Fear & Loathing whilst feeling 'comfortably numb'. Probably 200 times (minimum). Honestly though, I prefer to end my night by watching a few episodes of Trailer Park Boys till I pass out. I switch up the season every night... My favorite season's right now are S-3, 4, 5, 7 & 8 :) What's your favorite season?

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Hell yea man.... I can't even count how many times I've watched Fear & Loathing whilst feeling 'comfortably numb'. Probably 200 times (minimum). Honestly though, I prefer to end my night by watching a few episodes of Trailer Park Boys till I pass out. I switch up the season every night... My favorite season's right now are S-3, 4, 5, 7 & 8 :) What's your favorite season?
I think Season 1 is my favorite, just because it was so unique and I felt like I never saw anything on tv like that before. The other seasons kind of blend together for me but my favorite episodes are when they think Julian is a Samsquanch, when Steve French rapes Trevor, Ray specific episodes, and Conky episodes. I love the Christmas Special that tells how Jim Lahey lost his job as a cop because of the boys when they were younger. I really need to go through the later seasons again. I have the first five seasons on disc so I have watched them repeatedly more then the later seasons but they are all on Netflix Instant so I need to return to them.

conky do.png

-33-

I think Season 1 is my favorite, just because it was so unique and I felt like I never saw anything on tv like that before. The other seasons kind of blend together for me but my favorite episodes are when they think Julian is a Samsquanch, when Steve French rapes Trevor, Ray specific episodes, and Conky episodes. I love the Christmas Special that tells how Jim Lahey lost his job as a cop because of the boys when they were younger. I really need to go through the later seasons again. I have the first five seasons on disc so I have watched them repeatedly more then the later seasons but they are all on Netflix Instant so I need to return to them.
View attachment 3538
The Samsquanch episode is called "Rub N Tizug" its Season 4 episode 3......... Steve French ep is S4 Ep 6... & conky is also introduced in Season 4... so sounds like Season 4 is your jam! All the Ray Specific episodes are in S5 & S6 :) Since you like Ray episodes, I suggest you watch S07 E04.. Entitled "Friends of the Road"... or S06 E03 "High Definition Piss Jugs"

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
The Samsquanch episode is called "Rub N Tizug" its Season 4 episode 3......... Steve French ep is S4 Ep 6... & conky is also introduced in Season 4... so sounds like Season 4 is your jam! All the Ray Specific episodes are in S5 & S6 :) Since you like Ray episodes, I suggest you watch S07 E04.. Entitled "Friends of the Road"... or S06 E03 "High Definition Piss Jugs"
I love "Friends of the Road" :joyful:. Damn you know your TPB!!! Now I need to watch seasons 5 through 6 again!

-33-

I love "Friends of the Road" :joyful:. Damn you know your TPB!!! Now I need to watch seasons 5 through 6 again!
I don't say this to try to 'look cool'... but I'm pretty sure I've watched the Trailer Park Boys episodes more than any other human on earth. I play them in a loop, along with always sunny in philadelphia while I work + before I go to sleep, almost every day... kind of like 'background music'... I find it calming + keeps my spirits up :)

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
What about super fine grinds like 12 year old Fijian latterals?
After six minutes of squeezing, there's nothing left in my double layered nylons.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
What about super fine grinds like 12 year old Fijian latterals?
After six minutes of squeezing, there's nothing left in my double layered nylons.
Wow that would be like toss n wash. Maybe you should order a small micron nut milk bag. I always used warm to the touch tap water or room temperature spring water when doing traditional prep. I just use cool tap water or room temperature spring water with the Aluball. I think you are fine unless you use real cold water.

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
Wow that would be like toss n wash. Maybe you should order a small micron nut milk bag. I always used warm to the touch tap water or room temperature spring water when doing traditional prep. I just use cool tap water or room temperature spring water with the Aluball. I think you are fine unless you use real cold water.
I did a second batch yesterday.
1) blended a fist of almonds with the kava
2) added the water
3) blended for 9-10 minutes
4) strained/squeezed through double layered nylons.
5) normal amount left in stocking. Can feel about half
A bowl there.
6) I wAs right, of course.

@Squanch72 no, cause I tried toss and wash. Just with a teaspoon to see how the superfine grind would react. Just like instant! Instant MUD that is.
The prep I reviewed was liquid.