What's new

Was your your first kava an instant?

2Intense

Kava Enthusiast
I was cleanig out a drawer and found a Fire Island instant tin. This instant was my first (4 or 5 yrs ago?). I was in the reverse tolerance stage so I do not remember being impressed. Did you start with an instant?
Fire Island.jpg

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The first instant I had was Kava King - King's Reserve back in the good 'ole days of complete kava obscurity.

Wigman

Kava Enthusiast
I can't remember whether I tried Kona instant from the local Hawaiian coffee shop or the bulk stuff from the health food store first. Didn't get my first real effects until I tried Solomon's, though.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
My first non-extract kava was Paradise Kava instant:

It's what told me what kava was supposed to taste like and was all, "If you can choke this shit down, motherfucker, you can do anything."

I made the mistake of mixing some in some hot tea, which turned my tea into a swampy goop of un-dissolved lumps, which I sipped and cursed the gods.

Turns out N@H's Fire Island Instant tasted even WORSE.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
My first kava was a shitty bottle of powdered root pills. I ate the entire thing and burped peppers all night, to absolutely no effect. My first real kava was powdered root.

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
My first was NOW Foods Kava Capsules, which, may I say, don't really do anything when ingested. Perhaps a miiiiild sense of relaxation compared to your normal state. Then I tried cracking the capsules open and holding the contents sublingually, and that had a slightly more pronounced effect, but tasted like absolute sh**, and made me feel kind of schizoidal. I found out after looking into the ingredients that they also contain eluthero root, which is a stimulant and has some weird side effects. So needless to say, I will NOT be endorsing NOW Foods when it comes to kava, blech.

My second experience was with kava.com's 33% kavalactone powder, which had some effect but not a whole lot. It mainly just made me tired and droopy-eyed.

Since then I've had instant Mo'i and micronized Mahakea from GHK, and I'm just now trying some medium grind Pouni Ono from KWK, which I quite enjoy. I'll be sticking with ground root or micronized from now on. :)

2Intense

Kava Enthusiast
While I said, “I was not impressed” with my first instant, obviously I caught a glimpse of kava’s potential. Kava drinking is definitely a journey. My “go to” now is Boroguru – it provides the consistent predictable result that works for me.

The kava plant(s) provide such a wide range of “benefit”, that you are sure to find one that works for you.

KavaCat

Meow.
No, as I had read a lot of things, and there were always mixed reviews about instant. Some people relied on it, who weren't able to tolerate the taste of regular grind, but there were far more reviews saying that instant kavas did nothing, or next to nothing, than for regular grind. So I went straight to regular grind first. I didn't want to have to guess whether or not my first few experiences were reverse tolerance, or bad product. I tried some instant after that, and it was definitely more disappointment than ordering med. grind. I've never had to toss out med. grind due to a lack of effects, but I did with two out of the three instants I've tried, which would have sent me to the bathroom long before it sent me into the pleasant state I expect from kava. (Speaking from experience here.) The third instant was from GHK, and if I'm ordering from GHK... I might as well go with micro.

Sean D.

Kava Enthusiast
My first _good_ kava was BKH instant and it was good. My first powdered was paradise (also good.)

But my first first kava experience was Yogi Kava tea -- I could notice some of the effects, so I eventually tried the real thing.