What's new

Weird reactions to kava tea? (Yogi)

I drank a cup a week ago and thought it was amazing, I take it for aniexty. Developed a weird rash under my upper lip but thought maybe I burned myself on the cup. Didn't really think it was related to the tea.

Had my second cup tonight and had a super scary experience where my throat would lock up and I couldn't swallow. I had some back of the throat congestion that was triggering me to swallow but I couldn't. My breathing was fine but it spiked my aniexty and I took a anti histamine just in case. Now I'm wondering if I'm mildly allergic to the kava or my acid reflux is just kicking up. Thoughts?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I drank a cup a week ago and thought it was amazing, I take it for aniexty. Developed a weird rash under my upper lip but thought maybe I burned myself on the cup. Didn't really think it was related to the tea.

Had my second cup tonight and had a super scary experience where my throat would lock up and I couldn't swallow. I had some back of the throat congestion that was triggering me to swallow but I couldn't. My breathing was fine but it spiked my aniexty and I took a anti histamine just in case. Now I'm wondering if I'm mildly allergic to the kava or my acid reflux is just kicking up. Thoughts?
What product are you consuming here?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Nothing fancy or custom, just yogi relax tea you can get at any store.
It should be noted here that these yogi "kava" teas contain little to no actual kavalactones. A single kava candy likely has more.

If anything I would be looking at the alternative ingredients as possible aggravators of your issues.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I have often heard folks report negative experience after consuming Yogi Tea.
Yogi Tea is a long distance from traditional kava beverage.

Huh that's surprising, going into it I had no idea what kava was and after drinking that first cup I had an euphoric high. Which promoted me to look into what the hell was in my tea haha. Not sure I could handle real kava if that's the case. Good to know, thanks guys.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
I would advice you to try some real kava.

There are RTD from Karunakava.com

And medium grind you can prepare your self from different vendors.

Just ask for advice

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Huh that's surprising, going into it I had no idea what kava was and after drinking that first cup I had an euphoric high. Which promoted me to look into what the hell was in my tea haha. Not sure I could handle real kava if that's the case. Good to know, thanks guys.
Ohhh, I bet you would LOVE kava candies for their effect if Yogi tickled your fancy. Around 50mg of kavalactones per candy, so it would be right around the yogi level.