What's new

What Causes the Kava itchiness?

NZdude

Kava Curious
Well I didn't get time to go to the pharmacy, so I just picked up some Loratadine (2nd generation antihistamine), that I use for hayfever, and it has done the job well.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
ITCH ALERT...neenon...neenon...ITCH ALERT...neenon...this just in...I discovered another great remedy for the itch found at your local drug store. I was going on Infraredz information that derm itch is likely caused by a histamine release (aka allergy reaction). I found a Benadryl Bug Bite Pen in the summer section of my local store. After reading the ingredients and seeing the anti-histamine ingredients, I thought I would give it a try... It works wonderfully. Itch is gone almost immediately and the derm patches are disappearing after one day of treatment. Hooray! The best part is that this pen is like a small bingo dabber. You simply unscrew the cap and begin hitting the spots. Screw the cap back on and you're done. It's amazing and well worth trying if you suffer. I'm going back to pick up a couple more sticks. One stick retails for $6 bucks in Canada so it's likely much cheaper in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Woah, you just blew my mind. I have one of those on hand at all times for mosquito bites but it never occured to me to use it for that.

infraredz

BULA!
ITCH ALERT...neenon...neenon...ITCH ALERT...neenon...this just in...I discovered another great remedy for the itch found at your local drug store. I was going on Infraredz information that derm itch is likely caused by a histamine release (aka allergy reaction). I found a Benadryl Bug Bite Pen in the summer section of my local store. After reading the ingredients and seeing the anti-histamine ingredients, I thought I would give it a try... It works wonderfully. Itch is gone almost immediately and the derm patches are disappearing after one day of treatment. Hooray! The best part is that this pen is like a small bingo dabber. You simply unscrew the cap and begin hitting the spots. Screw the cap back on and you're done. It's amazing and well worth trying if you suffer. I'm going back to pick up a couple more sticks. One stick retails for $6 bucks in Canada so it's likely much cheaper in the US.
Yep, that's why I kept recommending topical antihistamines... ;)
[...] If the lotion doesn't help, try a topical diphenhydramine cream.
[...] Of course, remember that a topical antihistamine would work quite possibly too, but I would try that after an oral antihistamine. [...]

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
...try some diphenhydramine (at bedtime since it makes most drowsy) and see if that helps.....
Just looked in my med cabinet and I found a bottle (that I totally forgot I had) of "DiphenhydrAMINE Hydrochloride Capsules" from SANDOZ. Don't even remember why I have that stuff, but when my dermo starts acting up again, I'm going to give that a try (50 mg, (2) 25mg Capsules). Curious if it will make me sleepy too.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
I've had skin issues but, interestingly enough, since drinking more GHK med. grind powder and/or micronized I've noticed the skin issues aren't as bad. If I go to another brand of med grind powder, it's almost certain that the skin problems will kick up a notch probably even during the root session. Not throwing any vendors under the bus but I'm talking well liked and reviewed stuff. Or, is it that GHK's kava is just that fresh and clean?!

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Yeah I would really recommend trying the topical route before taking a benadryl. That shit makes me drowsy and gives me the dry mouth from hell. On the few nights I have combined that with kava it was pretty much like I had the Sahara in my mouth.

infraredz

BULA!
Sorry guys, I guess I didn't take into account my tolerance (being able to tolerate them, not 'tolerance') to antihistamines.

That being said, I still think that it's worth a shot at the end of the day since it can make you drowsy. The problem with topical creams is that they would only treat a histamine reaction that was "close enough" to the surface for the cream to soak into. My personal opinion is that the itchiness that people experience is systemic rather than local meaning that you would need a systemic solution (oral med) rather than if it was a local reaction (in which case a topical gel could work).

Of course, I don't know and that's just my educated guess, so it would be nice if someone could report their findings of using both...

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
This dermopathy stuff is weird. I have it, or I guess that's what it is, because it never appeared until after about a month of daily kava intake. It's on my sides, below my chest on my stomach and a little on my thighs. It's just spotty patches. It never itches. There is no way I would even know it's there if I didn't see it. I'm not too worried about it right now, unless it gets worse. My wife hasn't even noticed it yet.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
It likely will get worse, but as you say it's not that bad. All about how much you're willing to tolerate it.

infraredz

BULA!
This dermopathy stuff is weird. I have it, or I guess that's what it is, because it never appeared until after about a month of daily kava intake. It's on my sides, below my chest on my stomach and a little on my thighs. It's just spotty patches. It never itches. There is no way I would even know it's there if I didn't see it. I'm not too worried about it right now, unless it gets worse. My wife hasn't even noticed it yet.
Usually, dermopathy will present in that area (on your flanks) and then it might spread (even if you stop drinking kava) and then it will start to clear up in the order in appeared.

That can all be avoided if you jump on it right now and get some AmLactin on that stuff!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
AmLactin's so good, I had a tough/rough patch of skin on my lower spine (unrelated to dermopathy, I think)...put amlactin on it a few times and was able to rub all the old skin off in the shower. Now it's smooth. Smoov, even.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
AmLactin's so good, I had a tough/rough patch of skin on my lower spine (unrelated to dermopathy, I think)...put amlactin on it a few times and was able to rub all the old skin off in the shower. Now it's smooth. Smoov, even.
Does anyone think it would be good for dry heels? Is so, maybe I'll get some for that and my dermo.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Seems like it would work good. Put it on before you sleep, for a week or so. Then soak your feet, rub with pumice stone and be gloriously disgusted by the chunks of skin sloughing off. :woot:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I find Amlactin, only dose so much. The really bad spots, ya got to pull the big guns out, with cocoa Butter. It helps on the red spots. Much love. Roaddog....