What's new

What Foods Wreck Your Kava Effect?

It was so hot in Vanuatu we ate quite little and focussed more on liquids. I usually swam in the sea every day before Kava and that liquid diet and light exercise seemed to help make my belly just right for Kava.

In Ireland or here in the UK where I currently am, the food is a lot heavier, I get less exercise (the sea is too far away from where I am right now) and I am finding that it's affecting my Kava effect in a bad way.
I have issues with certain foods (actually all food but lets not get caught up in my weight issues lol) and pizza, bread or anything similar mess around with my Kava drinking in the early evening. I am noticing though that even when I stay away from these foods that my Kava drinking is still not having the full effect.

What foods really mess up your Kava time and what methods do you use to make sure your stomach is in the right shape to give your Kava the full effect?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Fried Chicken before hand. Seriously it kills my kava experience.

I eat by 6:00 PM and drink my kava around 10:30PM and it's usually just the right amount of time to help lull me off to sleep.

I'm drinking mine at 16.00, same time as I used to on the islands lol. I'm in bed by 20.00 (only an hour away now). I'm enjoying waking up at 6am fresh as a daisy. Though tomorrow I won't be so fresh as I'm having beer after my Kava.

Yeah fried chicken definitely no good. The breading around the chicken plus the fact that it's deep fat fried would mess you up fro a few hours for sure.

river

Kava Curious
Yes, I would also like to know how you experienced guys handle this. I come home from work and am hungry and want some kava to unwind so I have a glass of instant before cooking and then I have to wait forever for the second (instant again because cooking food is already enough work). Thats where I am just now, 21.40h and waiting for my stomach to be empty enough to get the full effects. A problem I didn't have back in my weed smoking days...

Yes, I would also like to know how you experienced guys handle this. I come home from work and am hungry and want some kava to unwind so I have a glass of instant before cooking and then I have to wait forever for the second (instant again because cooking food is already enough work). Thats where I am just now, 21.40h and waiting for my stomach to be empty enough to get the full effects. A problem I didn't have back in my weed smoking days...
I end up avoiding food so long I end being so hungry I either pig out and ruin the whole prospect of Kava or I drink some and then eat way more than I should which ruins the chance of losing weight by using Kava (and I really need to lose weight). I suspect I have some sort of blood sugar thing too but being Irish I can't abide going to see a doctor lol.

How do you guys get the balance right???

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I eat a really big late lunch and then have kava for dinner. Like just now I ate cottage cheese with kashi golean cereal (it's delicious) and some pasta, and I'll be ready for kava 4 hrs from now. Sometimes I have a snack afterwards, sometimes I don't.

@river sounds like you should make some powdered root kava in advance.

I find any amount of food in my stomach ruins instant, whereas powdered root loses some potency but effects me longer.

infraredz

BULA!
Really, anything that I eat too soon before kava ruins it for me. Even if it's not completely empty, it still feels like it dulls the experience (though it may prolong it, the benefit of that doesn't outweigh the lack of umphh that I would have gotten). Like kavadude said, 4hrs is the perfect timing for me too.

Then of course, after kava, well a nice hot, fatty food always seems to boost my experience.

4 hours seems to be the amount of time I need to spend after food also but I need to exercise at least mildly within that 4 hours. Fatty foods are best afterwards too yes. Pizza was my favourite in vanuatu after Kava. I remember trying to be all posh in the Nambawan bar eating a pizza by using a knife and fork and ended up with half my pizza on the ground and everyone laughing at me. The girl serving me couldn't stop laughing, you could see the Kava in my body language and the desperate want for food in my eyes, they had seen it all a million times before. I ended up just devouring it like some sort of starving hostage who had just been released from captivity, I nearly chomped my fingers off!

river

Kava Curious
Kavadude, you are right, but I am lazy and also have to experiment more with preparation methods. I used to think some fat like soy lecithin is necessary, but then I had a hard time getting it down with the fat on top of the taste:yuck:. Maybe I used too much of it. Also I find my skin likes the instant more and I don't look 200 years old anymore. Thats why I am confident enough to put up a picture of me now:happy:.
Time for seconds as it is nearly 11 and all food is digested!

Kavadude, you are right, but I am lazy and also have to experiment more with preparation methods. I used to think some fat like soy lecithin is necessary, but then I had a hard time getting it down with the fat on top of the taste:yuck:. Maybe I used too much of it. Also I find my skin likes the instant more and I don't look 200 years old anymore. Thats why I am confident enough to put up a picture of me now:happy:.
Time for seconds as it is nearly 11 and all food is digested!
LOL that avatar pic is not the pic you are talking about is it? I mean it's a good looking animal but ...

Yay, somebody called me good looking! Or is it the beer talking? And shouldn't you be in bed by now to be fresh as a daisy at 6am?
I'm going to climb into my pit now and start dreaming Kava dreams. No it's not the beer talking, us Irish are quite smitten with fine animals lol

6am here we come!

2Intense

Kava Enthusiast
.......all of them. If I do not consume on a completely empty stomach then, I've wasted the Kava. Oh well, I still get to enjoy the wonderful taste!

river

Kava Curious
Yeah, I guess thats just how it is. A way to tide you over the wait for an empty stomach could be sublingual, put a candy or extract under your tongue and leave it there as long as possible. Not the full kava experience but still quite nice I find.

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

Possum stew kills my buzz everytime. Tasty, but kills the buzz.:ROFLMAO:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Possum stew kills my buzz everytime. Tasty, but kills the buzz.:ROFLMAO:
Well I import Armadillo breast straight from Austin TX (from the "New World Armadillo World Headquarters"), and just Love It with my Kava!! (cubes of Armadillo is also a great low-carb snack) :D

Totally surprised you haven't tried it.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I could import armadillos from the freeway near my house, if I really wanted to...

Those armadillos aren't very bright. Went out for a walk in the woods a few nights ago and there was one rooting around in the flowers. I yelled at it to get lost and it didn't even notice me. Whacked on my flashlight and that sent it running...

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
I eat at 3:30-4:00ish "I like to eat early so I dont sleep on it"
Then I usually drink Kava around 630ish.

Im thinking of bumping it up to 7.
Just love me some Kavalactones! :woot: