What's new

What is Borogoru/borogu?

N

Noname

Is it like a family of kava that has drunkish effects? What other kava families are there?

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Hmm; I've been meaning to ask the same thing. I think I've heard of three different Boro... Borogu, Borongoru, Borogoru... I wanna try em, but they kinda confuse me... must be some vanuatu root-word? (no pun intended)
They also seem to get some of the more disparate reviews (with some of the same ones being strongly described as heady/balanced by some and really heavy by others).

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
They are both the same variety of kava both grown in Vanuatu but they call them a different name depending on where the Borogu or boroguru is grown. So in short they are the same plant but the Ni Vanuatu call it by different names depending on what part of Vanuatu you are from.
Aloha.

Chris

N

Noname

Not often I get kava like this. This one has a mess you up type of feeling Ina unique way. I don't remember what being drunk feels like but I think it's similar. Why is that?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Not often I get kava like this. This one has a mess you up type of feeling Ina unique way. I don't remember what being drunk feels like but I think it's similar. Why is that?
It's a vanuatu kava. It's why I love them. They seem to have higher proportions of more sedative kavalactones. Also, they have that characteristic vanuatu taste. I've grown to love that :)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I'm in love too lol. Are all Fiji kavas like this?
Vanuatu kava has it's own slice of awesome that it occupies on the kava spectrum. Vanuatu kavas are selected for their attributes based on what the population finds appealing....and Ni-Vanuatu love STRONG kava. Sounds like you may be discovering your favorite type.

NileKinnick

Kava Curious
Is boroguru similar in flavor to borogu? Borogu has been my favorite tasting kava I've tried. I enjoy the numbing because it remembers me a bit of a coke drip (maybe not the greatest reason, but I haven't touched that stuff in years). I also find it less bitter than some of the finer medium grinds. Borogu also seems to be a great value for the effects.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
The taste can vary quite a bit. The ratio of lewena to waka in the mix... how old the plant was... growing conditions...

Also consider that it's rare to ship single-cultivar kava out of anywhere in the South Pacific unless you have a very special relationship with the growers. Fortunately, borogu is very popular and even unlabeled ni-Vanuatu kava powder is likely to have lots of borogu in it. As the post-cyclone-Pam crops mature on Tanna, we may start to see more ahoia and pia in "mystery blends", but lately, borogu is the champion.

N

Noname

What other kavas are similar to borogu? What's the difference between Fijian Tongan and Hawaiian?