What's new

Kava Preparation What is the best blender for making kava?

verticity

I'm interested in things
I have been using the "blender method" more lately to make my kava. I am getting to like it, but the problem is my blender is a crappy old one that sucks. Can you guys recommend a brand and model of blender for me, specifically for making kava? My ideal kava blender would have the following characteristics:

1. Capacity of at least 2 liters or more.
2. Powerful enough to squeeze the most out of my roots.
3. Leak proof.
4. Easy to clean.
5. Relatively quiet. I'm not even sure if this is possible, but it would be nice if the blender didn't make a noise like a jet engine taking off.
6. Won't be stained by kavalactones and FKs, so a glass pitcher is preferable to plastic.

The one I have now fails on #1-5. I have heard of the Ninja and Vitamix, but what do you all recommend?

theGrogfather

Sipping on Waka juice. Laid back
I use this

But that only takes care of #2-6
I have a couple perfect sized cups that fit about 6-8 tbs powder and 1/2 litre of water that this guy fits in nicely and makes some great grog. I do a few washes with this and i usually get 1 - 1.5 litres .
Edit: i have a ninja and its super loud and also not glass, although other models may have it as option. My wife does not approve of it being used to make kava

Last edited:

Travis

Kava Enthusiast
I have a cheaper Oster blender that I've used for kava. It holds 6 cups, is glass, mostly leak proof, has 12 speeds. But its louder than sin. It does seem to pulverize the root pretty well though. So I guess that 2,3,4 and 6.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
The ninja works very well for blending kava in my experience. If money were no issue, I'd get the Vitamix though. The cheaper blenders didn't seem to be powerful enough (weaker kava) and I burned out a high end Cuisinart.

Crunked

Proselytizer
The Vitamix succeeds on 1-3 and 6. Iffy on 4 and a fail on 5. The only real competition would be from Blendtec.

Kavacoordinate

Kava Enthusiast
I have a pretty cool Cuisinart that is high RPM and actually has a heating function for making soup. So if I really want to get the most out of it I'll heat it up for like 2 minutes and then blend the ...out of it and get ready to be stuck to the couch

Zaphod

Kava Lover
My ninja has been up to every task I have asked of it and more. It slices, dices, crunches, and mixes like well a ninja. I love the single serve cups that came with it - very convenient. I have even used the single serve cups for mixing kava when I didn't want a large batch.

schatz

itchin for kava
I have used a nutribulet, and it works well. After 3 1 minute pulses the temperature is up to 120 degrees also. I have a vitamix but dont use it for kava so cannot say if that would work better.

Odourman

Skål from Sweden!
I bought a cheap one, all plastic and shaking. Sounds like a damsel in distress and tends to throw up, but it's ok. My last one was from the 80's and it started to smell like brunt rubber, but in a way it was better. But it was not safe.
They are going to raise taxes for electronic devices in my country by the end of this month, so maybe I should have bought a better one.

Odourman

Skål from Sweden!
I bought a cheap one, all plastic and shaking. Sounds like a damsel in distress and tends to throw up, but it's ok. My last one was from the 80's and it started to smell like brunt rubber, but in a way it was better. But it was not safe.
They are going to raise taxes for electronic devices in my country by the end of this month, so maybe I should have bought a better one.
Maybe early 90s... smoke discoloured and funky. My late grandparents old blender.

rorrory

The ninja is a good frozen blender work very well for blending kava in my experience. If money were no issue, I'd get the Vitamix though. The cheaper blenders didn't seem to be powerful enough (weaker kava) and I burned out a high end Cuisinart.
I have the same blender and recommend it as well. Although Vitamix is recommended, its price is too expensive. 700-900 Watt blenders are good for kava blending, Healthmaster and Nutribullet are also recommended.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I used to use magic bullet as a cheap blender for kava but the Ninja blender my friend has gets some sweet froth action