What's new

What is your ideal Kava Bowl/Kumete/Tanoa size?

poolguy_cu

Kava Curious
I just started using Kava and have the AluBall for now but want to get into the traditional prep. The problem I'm having is finding somewhere to purchase the Tanoa/bowl. Any suggestions are appreciated!
--- I know I can use a plastic bowl but where's the fun in that?!!?! LOL

poolguy_cu

Kava Curious
Mike from KWK sells them :) I always wanted one too.
https://kalmwithkava.com/shop/handmade-fijian-tanoas/
Only $150!! Pretty reasonable in my opinion. I will definitely get one of those and continue searching for more elaborate Tanoa. I'm pretty sure so far I like the 4 leg versions for some reason. Anyway, thank you for the quick info Krunky!! This has to be one of the better forums I've been on in a while! Everyone (so far) has been very informative and cordial to the newb.

Jeff Silvers

Kava Curious
I think I'll order one next week. That is the 15" version?? I think I'll do the same size and get the party pack which includes a pound of Kava powder and 4 shells for $199. Might as well make it a party for an extra $50!!
Yes, it's the 15". I went out to eat early today so I'm not drinking Kava tonight but I will be trying it out tomorrow. I'm trying the Kava Kauai Special Reserve.::shell::

I just filled it up with water to give you an idea about how much it holds. I put in 10 cups of water and it was about an inch from the top, so 80 ounces easy.

Jeff Silvers

Kava Curious
I forgot to mention that the 12" for $99 holds a liter. My wife and I have been going to Kauai every year for years now and we're going to stop by RealKava on our next visit in May. I wish I would have known about Kava earlier. I could have been bringing some home for years already. We were just there in February.

Last edited:

Jeff Silvers

Kava Curious
Also, you can order them in brown or the black like mine. I just liked the look of the black one a little better.

Jeff Silvers

Kava Curious
I'm ashamed to say that I still don't have a Tanoa. But for long sessions I usually drink about 1.5 litres of strong Kava.
This 15" will be a pretty good size for your long sessions.

I love your reviews by the way. You helped me pick some great Kava. If you find a place that has a replacement for your large shell let me know. I'd love one that size.

Last edited:

Jeff Silvers

Kava Curious
IMG_20170610_185946.jpg
IMG_20170610_185936.jpg
Here's the first batch for tonight. I used a double AluBall, four tablespoons with 500 ml of water. I'm having the Kava Kauai Special Reserve. First two shells and it's already really relaxing. I'm finding this Tanoa to be perfect for the AluBall. Tomorrow, I use the larger Tanoa with GHK's Kumakua. I am going to do the traditional prep with that using Kavafied strainer.