What's new

Kava Recipe What's your favorite kava blend?

What do you get out of mixing your kavas?

• Nothing special

• A unique experience that's somewhere in the middle

• One kava predominates the other

• I don't mix different kavas

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rick.Sanchez

Kava Enthusiast
I've mentioned mixing kavas lately, and I'm curious to hear everyone's favorite mixtures. I love mixing Nene with headier kavas such as moi, but I have a new found favorite kava that has also been a great mixer: Honokane iki. I just enjoyed a blend of honokane iki + moi and I just prepped some honokane iki + Pana ewa a moment ago.

When I first got into kava, I tried mixing different strains to little effect. Now, I think it's a little easier for me to notice the differences since I'm more aware of how the individual kavas affect me.

So what's your favorite kava blend?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I only blend for t̶w̶o̶ three reasons:
  • To add heaviness to a kava that's weak and one-sided in it's headiness.
  • To lighten up a kava that's too heavy, dull or nauseating.
  • Because I have several nearly empty bags that combined will make one batch of kava.
I don't find blending to add any new special feeling, with most typical varieties, the blend just creates a slightly altered but common chemotype.
Blending in more Dihydromethysticin or Methysticin-heavy strains is probably the most effective at creating a truly discernible change in effect.

My favorite purchasable pre-blended kava is Nangol Noble. It has the Vanuatu potency, balance and fragrance that I love.

Last edited:

cerulean

I mix heady with balanced or muscle melting types. So the usual GHK Mo'i/Mahakea or KWK Pouni'Ono/Loa Waka 50/50 mix in an Alu Ball or Strainer bag.
I had a couple years ago played with mixing GHK Hiwa in to some things and remember that being a generally good kava to blend with. I am going to do a M'oi/Hiwa blend for the next month or two.
For me, M'oi or Pouni'Ono usually kicks in first and then you get the relaxing benefits of the longer lasting heavier type.

I had a couple 1lb of the Squanch Fiji waka. For the most part, for me, Squanch Fiji waka does the same heady at first then lights out for later all in one bag. Have not tried lawaena yet.
YMMV
BULA!
Cerulean

Rick.Sanchez

Kava Enthusiast
  • Because I have several nearly empty bags that combined will make one batch of kava.
I don't find blending to add any new special feeling, with most typical varieties, the blend just creates a slightly altered but common chemotype.
Blending in more Dihydromethysticin or Methysticin-heavy strains is probably the most effective at creating a truly discernible change in effect.

My favorite purchasable pre-blended kava is Nangol Noble. It has the Vanuatu potency, balance and fragrance that I love.
Ya I also don't find anything special with most blends I've tried. But I've had a couple blends that were surprisingly good. @cerulean I tried blending headier kavas with Hiwa, and i never thought it was anything special

Odourman

Skål from Sweden!

I have only mixed kavas for the third reason. I wast too happy with the result, but it wasn't bad. It became a little less heavier than the heavy kava. Maybe I should do more testning.

LeVon

Kava Curious
So far i have only tried heavy kavas, such as borogoru (KWK), but i have some strains that are supposed to be more heady on the way. And i intended to try them by themselves and was also going to try to blend them with my heavy strains to make it a little lighter. I have some Honokane Iki, and Moi on the way (GHK), so im glad to hear you liked using them in blends because that was my plan.
I think i am almost through the reverse tolerance now, because i am mixing my kava half as strong as when i started and still getting pretty strong effects with just 1-3 shells. So now i think i am ready for the more heady strains. So i dont get as tired after drinking my kava. I am looking forward to see how the blending goes. :)

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
I like blending waka and lawena. I've purchased Fiji kavas before that keep the lawena mixed in, but Ive also combined Squanch's Waka and Lawena in a ratio that's a bit heavier on waka. Lawena can seem a bit muted on its own, but I think it adds the right notes to waka and make for a fuller effect.

PepperyPyrone

I'll have the pyrones with some pepper, please.
I like mixing the Kava Time wakas with Squanch Lawena. I have mixed many different varieties and find that these have the biggest impact when compared to one Kava Time strain by itself. Savusavu and Taveuni's Secret are great with Squanch Lawena 1:1. I have also tried them mixed with the Squanch waka which is also good. I also find myself mixing mahakea with Squanch waka because they are two of my favorite kava's. However its usually starting out with pure mahakea and then mix up some pure Squanch waka. They go well together back to back. Anytime I want to tone down a headier kava I always add Nene either in medium grind or instant straight to the grog. Oh and Hiwa also mixes well with Squanch waka. One that I have been wanting to try is Nene and N@H Solomon.