What's new

WTF!? "New Zealand Drug Detection Agency will begin testing workers for kava use"

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
:( Ignorance and discrimination never die..

"After failing to consult with unions or community groups, the New Zealand Drug Detection Agency will begin testing workers for kava use says FIRST Union organiser Jerome Mika.
“Goodman Fielder has advised FIRST Union members at Quality Bakers in Dunedin that the New Zealand Drug Detection Agency will begin testing for kava”.
“But kava should not be classed as a drug” says Mika.
“Kava is part of Pacific cultures. Including it as a drug in work testing is inappropriate and discriminatory. Pasifika men, who are more than twice as likely to have used kava in their lifetime compared to the general population, will be disproportionately affected”.
“Classing kava as a drug will have a racist impact. It effectively means targeting Pasifika people. Pasifika people who use kava as part of their culture should not be classed as drug abusers” says Mika.
“Most people use kava as a drink, this means it’s regulated as a food under the Food Standards Code and the New Zealand Food (Supplemented Food) Standard 2010. When kava is used as a herbal remedy it’s covered under the Dietary Supplements Regulations” says Mika.
“FIRST Union will challenge any punitive action taken against workers who use kava”."

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO1505/S00054/classing-kava-as-a-drug-is-discriminatory.htm

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Not clear on what the New Zealand Drug Detection Agency is; it seems to be a fairly small private company that provides drug tests? I am not even aware of a test for kava; I can't help but wonder if they're full of shit.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Yes, it seems like some kind of intimidation tactic against the Pacific Islanders. There are no official regulations concerning what constitutes an intoxicating amount of kava. E.g. if we detect kavalactones in someone's stool 3 days after a kava session, does it mean that he or she is unfit to work? I suppose any court would say "no". BUT, the Islanders won't be able to afford to hire lawyers and will likely be intimidated by these "tests".. :(

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
Honestly the headline should be "New Zealand drug detection agency will begin testing workers for Herb Detection" which really sucks because ive been getting away with smuggling chamomile and using valerian root for years.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
It's a bluff, but I can't imagine why they are bothering. Even if there were any definitive way to test (which there is not), standards would still be necessary since it is a legal substance, like alcohol.
It's not exactly the same, but employers in colorado can still prohibit employees from using MJ. They can fire people for having it in your system. That always makes me angry.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
It's not exactly the same, but employers in colorado can still prohibit employees from using MJ. They can fire people for having it in your system. That always makes me angry.
It is a very different situation, ,IMO.

In NZ kava is regulated as food. Anyone can buy it, even children. One doesn't need any license to sell or posses it. There are no limits or special regulations. Just a few simple labelling requirements in addition to the normal food regulations.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
But TDDA says the technology to test for kava does not exist, and it is "categorically not happening".

Mr Hardy told onenews.co.nz TDDA receives "a couple of requests a month" (BOO -kavadude) for kava testing but it is not possible to do.

The roots of the Kava plant are commonly made into a drink, which is primarily consumed to help people relax. Though some people say it is a hallucinogen (Some people also say the earth is flat. -kd) that has significant side-effects including liver damage, hepatotoxicity, hypertension and loss of muscle control.
http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/union-drug-agency-rejects-kava-testing-in-workplace-claim-6308141

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Yes, I've e-mailed TVNZ complaining about their statements. I quoted Lebot who wrote that "Kava is neither a hallucinogen nor a stupefacient. Rather, the drug is a mild narcotic, a soporific, a diuretic, and a major muscle relaxant."

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Yes, I wonder what the real story is here. Manager screwing with their employees?
Most probably. Perhaps it was an intimidation tactic aimed at the Pacific Islanders employed by that company. The manager probably didn't expect a shit storm and so much media attention and now (just a few hours after the story was released) both the company and the drug testing agency are denying any intention to test for kava use.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Henry, is there maybe a bit of anti-Pacific Islander sentiment or anti-kava sentiment around?

I recall one week I was looking at job listings in Vanuatu (you know, just in case) and several of them stated no kava or alcohol drinkers. So that perception might be out there.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Henry, is there maybe a bit of anti-Pacific Islander sentiment or anti-kava sentiment around?

I recall one week I was looking at job listings in Vanuatu (you know, just in case) and several of them stated no kava or alcohol drinkers. So that perception might be out there.
The general public (and the media) have a very, very limited understanding of kava. Most non-Pacific Islanders believe the most extraordinary myths about it. Some people think it's a kind of alcohol, others believe it's an illegal drug, some people think it's just some kind of disgusting liquid with no psychoactive properties. Our society tries to promote kava and we often invite people to join us for a session. I am often amazed by some people's reactions. Last week one lady told me she wants to try kava, but she is afraid of breaking the law! It's incredible that NZ has the highest rate of kava drinkers in the Western world and yet ordinary people know so little about the plant/drink.

And yes, I think SOME people are prejudiced against the Pacific Islanders and their cultural practices. This drug-testing story is a good example of what happens when you combine bigotry, prejudice and ignorance.

A job offer in Vanuatu without kava? Are they crazy? ;)

verticity

I'm interested in things
I'm usually pro-scientific progress, but in this case I hope a test is not developed. There seem to be plenty of employers who would like to test for kava, if a test were available.

Drug testing in general is a gross violation of privacy, in my opinion, but it's unfortunately commonplace at a lot of workplaces.