What's new

Yellow powder in artsy-fartsy movie might be kava? Or a symbol of insanity or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

verticity

I'm interested in things
http://gearsofbiz.com/what-is-the-y...ks-is-as-mysterious-as-the-movie-itself/64323

Quote:
"Lawrence’s character creates her special yellow drink by mixing some unmarked yellow powder into a glass of water. Immediately, her hallucinations cease and the insufferable ringing in her ears quiets....Mother keeps the powder in an unmarked vial, suggesting that whatever the yellow powder is, it isn’t doctor-prescribed anti-anxiety medication. That said, it could be some kind of natural supplement. (This would also fit with the idea that Mother is really Mother Nature.) One option of what it might be: Kava, a tea with known psychoactive effects. Kava has been known to reduce anxiety, and, in concentrated quantities, essentially get you high. The Kava root is frequently ground down to a powder and added to water, not unlike Mother’s yellow powder. Granted, Kava is known for its brown color, but, less concentrated Kava tea can have a yellow tint... Drug or symbolic insanity? You decide."

So, OK. Kava is brown, but kava extract is yellow, and a couple people here have reported that it can help with tinnitis....but this seems like a bit of a stretch. Probably it's a fictional substance inspired by kava and other things.

In other news:
Mother! earns a rare, semi-coveted F from CinemaScore
"The CinemaScore F has become a perverse badge of pride for some films, though, a reflection of a movie that goes out of its way to artfully alienate or confuse audiences."

Last edited:

Pounigirl

Kava Enthusiast
I'm more impressed by you that you even found such a thing in an "artsy fartsy movie" :p Did you watch it yourself or just read about it? The second link you posted which discussed the F rating from CinemaScore was interesting to me. The one comment underneath the article from a movie goer was interesting. He describes how the movie made him feel all pumped up and wired and that he didn't even know if he liked it or not, but that it was a long time since a film elicited that type of response from him. I have noticed a similar phenomenon with certain books in myself. Whenever I read anything by Franz Kafka it just does something in my brain as if the stories themselves are like a key that unlocks a door in my mind that was previously closed. I notice I get bursts of creative energy and interesting dreams, as if the story itself has some magic formula of words that unlocks the door even if the story itself is just rambling and nonsensical (*cough cough Great Wall of China cough cough*). I wonder if that happens to anyone else. I am not the most well read person in the world so I don't know if other author's works would have the same effect on me, but so far only Franz Kafka's works have given me that effect.

I was surprised to see in that article that Solaris got a F rating as well. I actually liked that movie and have seen it a couple of times. :)

verticity

I'm interested in things
I'm more impressed by you that you even found such a thing in an "artsy fartsy movie" :p Did you watch it yourself or just read about it? The second link you posted which discussed the F rating from CinemaScore was interesting to me. The one comment underneath the article from a movie goer was interesting. He describes how the movie made him feel all pumped up and wired and that he didn't even know if he liked it or not, but that it was a long time since a film elicited that type of response from him. I have noticed a similar phenomenon with certain books in myself. Whenever I read anything by Franz Kafka it just does something in my brain as if the stories themselves are like a key that unlocks a door in my mind that was previously closed. I notice I get bursts of creative energy and interesting dreams, as if the story itself has some magic formula of words that unlocks the door even if the story itself is just rambling and nonsensical (*cough cough Great Wall of China cough cough*). I wonder if that happens to anyone else. I am not the most well read person in the world so I don't know if other author's works would have the same effect on me, but so far only Franz Kafka's works have given me that effect.

I was surprised to see in that article that Solaris got a F rating as well. I actually liked that movie and have seen it a couple of times. :)
I haven't seen the movie, but I saw that article about it getting and "F" on the avclub, which is a pretty good site for pop culture stuff, and thought it was funny. Then today--I have a Google news alert set for the word "kava"--so that article popped up in my email. (I was just quoting that article by someone)

I don't know if that specific movie is good, but I do tend to like some artsy stuff. Like you say it stimulates your brain. Kafka is great. I was really into him many years ago when I was studying German in high school..

verticity

I'm interested in things
My favorite Kafka story is a short one:

Quote:

"Up in the Gallery

If some frail tubercular lady circus rider were to be driven in circles around and around the arena for months and months without interruption in front of a tireless public on a swaying horse by a merciless whip-wielding master of ceremonies, spinning on the horse, throwing kisses and swaying at the waist, and if this performance, amid the incessant roar of the orchestra and the ventilators, were to continue into the ever-expanding, gray future, accompanied by applause, which died down and then swelled up again, from hands which were really steam hammers, perhaps then a young visitor to the gallery might rush down the long stair case through all the levels, burst into the ring, and cry “Stop!” through the fanfares of the constantly adjusting orchestra.

But since things are not like that—since a beautiful woman, in white and red, flies in through curtains which proud men in livery open in front of her, since the director, devotedly seeking her eyes, breathes in her direction, behaving like an animal, and, as a precaution, lifts her up on the dapple-gray horse, as if she were his grand daughter, the one he loved more than anything else, as she starts a dangerous journey, but he cannot decide to give the signal with his whip and finally, controlling himself, gives it a crack, runs right beside the horse with his mouth open, follows the rider’s leaps with a sharp gaze, hardly capable of comprehending her skill, tries to warn her by calling out in English, furiously castigating the grooms holding hoops, telling them to pay the most scrupulous attention, and begs the orchestra, with upraised arms, to be quiet before the great jump, finally lifts the small woman down from the trembling horse, kisses her on both cheeks, considers no public tribute adequate, while she herself, leaning on him, high on the tips of her toes, with dust swirling around her, arms outstretched and head thrown back, wants to share her luck with the entire circus—since this is how things are, the visitor to the gallery puts his face on the railing and, sinking into the final march as if into a difficult dream, weeps, without realizing it."​

Pounigirl

Kava Enthusiast
I haven't seen the movie, but I saw that article about it getting and "F" on the avclub, which is a pretty good site for pop culture stuff, and thought it was funny. Then today--I have a Google news alert set for the word "kava"--so that article popped up in my email. (I was just quoting that article by someone)

I don't know if that specific movie is good, but I do tend to like some artsy stuff. Like you say it stimulates your brain. Kafka is great. I was really into him many years ago when I was studying German in high school..
Oh did you read him in German? I studied some German in college, but I never achieved a level high enough to attempt to read anything by Kafka. I was barely conversational in it tbh. :p hehe

Pounigirl

Kava Enthusiast
My favorite Kafka story is a short one:

Quote:

"Up in the Gallery

If some frail tubercular lady circus rider were to be driven in circles around and around the arena for months and months without interruption in front of a tireless public on a swaying horse by a merciless whip-wielding master of ceremonies, spinning on the horse, throwing kisses and swaying at the waist, and if this performance, amid the incessant roar of the orchestra and the ventilators, were to continue into the ever-expanding, gray future, accompanied by applause, which died down and then swelled up again, from hands which were really steam hammers, perhaps then a young visitor to the gallery might rush down the long stair case through all the levels, burst into the ring, and cry “Stop!” through the fanfares of the constantly adjusting orchestra.

But since things are not like that—since a beautiful woman, in white and red, flies in through curtains which proud men in livery open in front of her, since the director, devotedly seeking her eyes, breathes in her direction, behaving like an animal, and, as a precaution, lifts her up on the dapple-gray horse, as if she were his grand daughter, the one he loved more than anything else, as she starts a dangerous journey, but he cannot decide to give the signal with his whip and finally, controlling himself, gives it a crack, runs right beside the horse with his mouth open, follows the rider’s leaps with a sharp gaze, hardly capable of comprehending her skill, tries to warn her by calling out in English, furiously castigating the grooms holding hoops, telling them to pay the most scrupulous attention, and begs the orchestra, with upraised arms, to be quiet before the great jump, finally lifts the small woman down from the trembling horse, kisses her on both cheeks, considers no public tribute adequate, while she herself, leaning on him, high on the tips of her toes, with dust swirling around her, arms outstretched and head thrown back, wants to share her luck with the entire circus—since this is how things are, the visitor to the gallery puts his face on the railing and, sinking into the final march as if into a difficult dream, weeps, without realizing it."​
Ah thank you for posting this. I'd never read this one. :) I like The Hunger Artist and Investigations of a Dog and Metamorphosis of course! :) I love now nobody in the family ever freaks out that he turned into a bug or tries to get him help to change back, they just accept it as a matter of course and keep him hidden.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Oh did you read him in German? I studied some German in college, but I never achieved a level high enough to attempt to read anything by Kafka. I was barely conversational in it tbh. :p hehe
Mostly in English. In class we read a couple of the shorter ones in German, but it was a laborious process with lots of help from the teacher. It was just high school German, so not at a very high level...

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I like the kids movie about the ant who woke up to find he'd turned into a cockroach, Frantz.

Ok, it's not a real movie, but I can pretend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.