What's new

Your Favorite Strainer In 2022 ?

GenieOfTheLamp

Kava Curious
I know there are past threads, buuut- what's your favorite strainer right now ? And what's your ideal micron mesh ?

I've been using the ones from Cactus for a couple years, and they're very durable, but they've all gotten rather clogged over time. I try to keep my makas out of them, and clean them with 91% isopropyl alcohol, but it's been an uphill battle. So I'm deciding whether to get some more of em or go with a different option.

Also- higher micron means more particulate gets through, correct ? Somehow my brain is having trouble interpreting the internet's answers. Heh. It may just be my perpetually clogged bags but I kinda think I wouldn't mind a less fine mesh... thoughts ? Muslin's felt too fine for me to get a nice grog, by the way.

Thanks ya'll !

Last edited:

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I use a Nut Milk Bag.
I have no idea what the Micron # is, but all I know is through experiences, it's the perfect size to filter a good brew, without letting too much or too little through.
And they last a long time, and are easily washable.
It has a string that just pulls to tighten it shut, to keep spillage out while kneading.
All around, perfect strainer for me.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Also- higher micron means more particulate gets through, correct ?
Yes that is correct. The ideal size is 75 micron, Kavafied has a great one for twenty bucks, probably cheaper on Amazon but I like the Kavafied because I know it is really 75m. it is the one that lasted me the longest, at around 2 years. For future reference, you don't need to use alcohol to clean the strainer, just use hot water and a bit of dish soap once a month and rinse after each use. That will keep them lasting a long time.

yestothat

Kava Curious
I use a 200 micron nut milk bag by Ellie's Best. It consistently filters out the micro toothpicks and produces a smooth kava.

Forretressqt

Kava Curious
I've been using the ones from Cactus for a couple years, and they're very durable, but they've all gotten rather clogged over time
I use Kava societys strainer bag on the same grounds of being incredibly durable (I twist and knead hard baby); not sure what material it is but it's not cloth/wooly and doesn't seem to absorb as much.

When it does start getting a bit clogged, I use their advice of using a natural sensitive detergant in the washing machine around 50 degrees celsius, I was stunned at how much it cleaned it the first time I did it.