What's new

Blending versus Kneading

Is blending your kava just as effective (or better) than kneading it?

• Yes

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • It's complicated

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters

Alien

Kava Newbie
I am curious as to which is better. Obviously, you can do both too but I would like to keep it strictly one or the other. I find it interesting that N@H and many other sources on the internet suggest to blend while others say it is not as effective as kneading. I would like to hear some of your experiences. It's been discussed on the old forums, too, but I wanted to raise the issue once again.

If blending can be deemed just as effective (or better) than kneading for the most part then I will likely adopt the blending method myself. Kneading for 15 minutes isn't going to kill me but if I could skip that step I gladly would. So far I have only blended with my first kava experiences and as such I can't attribute the very, very mild effects to having blended my kava instead of kneading it. Of course, I can always setup my own experiments as well but I'd rather not waste kava and right now I'm not in a position to as I'm already krunked and don't plan on preparing any more kava for quite a few days.

If you do blend or have found it to be just as effective (or better), how long have your blending sessions been? I see them all over the place on the net from 30 seconds (as N@H recommends) all the way up to 5 minutes and everything in between.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
In my experience, blending is not quite as effective and I don't like having to clean the blender too. If kneading bothers you you may also want to try putting it in a ziploc bag with some water and rolling on it with a rolling pin for the same amount of time and then giving it one run through the strainer.

But really, you aren't going to get the same answer from anyone here. They both work, but it's something you'll just have to experiment with in order to figure out what you prefer.

Alien

Kava Newbie
In my experience, blending is not quite as effective and I don't like having to clean the blender too. If kneading bothers you you may also want to try putting it in a ziploc bag with some water and rolling on it with a rolling pin for the same amount of time and then giving it one run through the strainer.

But really, you aren't going to get the same answer from anyone here. They both work, but it's something you'll just have to experiment with in order to figure out what you prefer.
Thanks for the response. Kneading doesn't bother me per-say, it's simply a 15-minute process I'd rather not do if I didn't feel I had to. It's the combination of the time and effort needed to complete the task (I'm sure I'm not the only one). If I conclude I do, in fact, still have to knead then I will do so without any complaints.

I just find it very surprising that one of the most respected vendors (N@H) includes a recipe with every order stating to use a blender and not to knead-- Aside from wringing out the kava once or twice, of course. They even made a YT video for their product stating and showing to use the blender.

What technique do the kava bars generally use to prepare their kava? When preparing a whole lot it becomes more difficult to knead and I'd guess more time is needed to knead it as well. Really curious about this..

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Kava bars usually use giant commercial juice presses. ;)

Blending works fine. It's just that I prefer kneading for potency.

infraredz

BULA!
I would venture to say that everyone could agree on the simple truth that blending is definitely not more potent but only slightly less potent than kneading.

I personally blend because it's easier and I'm lazy. I usually blend for 6mins in two, 3min intervals on medium

Alien

Kava Newbie
I would venture to say that everyone could agree on the simple truth that blending is definitely not more potent but only slightly less potent than kneading.

I personally blend because it's easier and I'm lazy. I usually blend for 6mins in two, 3min intervals on medium
Awesome, thanks. This is the type of reply I like to see. I think I'm going to have to go for now though and check the thread later. I'm a little too krunk to keep up with it and I'm going to see a movie soon. It starts in ~45 minutes. This theater has fully-reclined seats that are fancy couches of sorts. I hope I don't fall asleep! (Don't worry, I'm not driving).

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
you should definitely do some experiments, using the same amount/strain of root each time and try each method more than once...just so you can get a feel for any differences yourself. I've never blended, only, so I can't say anything about that. I used to blend and then strain/knead what remained in the strainer...I just didn't knead as long as I would normally. It worked great. But since it didnt seem much better or worse than just straining/kneading...I settled on simply kneading...I prefer that hassle over cleaning and drying a blender all the time.

Now, it's been a long while since I've used a blender,...and I think I make give it another whirl soon. To see what my current self thinks of it.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I am curious as to which is better. Obviously, you can do both too but I would like to keep it strictly one or the other.

Unless you are doing toss and wash straight from the blender, how do you intend to strain the root without kneading it?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Unless you are doing toss and wash straight from the blender, how do you intend to strain the root without kneading it?
Some people will blend the kava...then pour it into a straining cloth but only squeeze the water out of it, and then consume. Rather than continue squeezing the root any further.

violet

Do all things with love
I did both for a bit, like others I tired of cleaning the blender mess, and kneading produces a more potent brew for me.

D

Deactivated Account

Kneeling for me in a ladies stocking.

It has it's downfalls...the little Indian guy up at my local 7/11 must have had a bad experience with a 6'3 transvestite, he won't make eye contact when I dart up to restock.

I always ask him if he likes the black or flesh coloured, he never answers.

KavaGurl

The Original Kava Forum Mama
I think I prefer kneading although...I KNOW my hands don't..:shifty:..but everytime I blended I always ended up kneading for fear my grog wouldn't be strong enough:rolleyes:

D

Deleted User01

After reading that study on blending vs. kneading and at what temperature, I do both. Last time i started with 130 liquid which I'm sure quickly came down. I do a quick blend no more than 2 times. Then pour it into bag. I might also have more warm liquid on hand to add and bring the solution back up to temperature (113 is supposed to be ideal). I personally think that you CANNOT get away from the kneading so I do that for about 5 minutes. Like KavaGurl, my fingers don't dig it but I'm happy with the results. Cleaning the blender is no biggie, a few cups of water on high for 10 seconds and it's done.

One more thing, now that I'm back to doing smoothies, I may end up blending my weekender at the same time so I get a two-fer with the blender and so the extra step is time effective.

Blomdor

Envoy of the Dealfish
For some reason, I like kneading kava. I like to massage and squeeze it for 15 or 20 minutes, sometimes more. Love the feel of kava and strainer between my fingers. Perhaps it's just me.

I blend then knead, personally. Seems to produce the best drink for me.

Doobie Doo

How many shells to get to the center..1 2 3
Blending has ended up as my default process. Not a partisan on it, just usually tired after a day of wrestling with code - so call it laziness. I tend to do a series of 2 minute pulses on ultra high. If I can I will let it sit in the fridge for a while between pulses. I then slowly squeeze thru a Fiji silk bag. If it's late, and the noise will cause issues, I revert back to the old kneading ways. I'm probably doing something wrong, but I find it hard to detect a whole lot of potency difference. Actually if I let the mixture sit over night in the fridge, before straining, that somehow seems to make it more potent

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
There's nothing better than puttin' on the tunes, sit back, and give 'er a good squeeze.....double-handed for sure. Man, I love Kava :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
^^ I'm with ya on that one. Sometimes the only part of my day that I can count on being exactly the same is that 20 or so minutes I spend kneadin' and squeezin'

Blomdor

Envoy of the Dealfish
Is with ye both. It simply adds to the soothing and relaxing aspects of the kava experience, IMO. The blender, on the other hand, is very noisy and not really pleasant to mess with, but I find it increases the strength of my grog enough to make it worthwhile.