What's new

Blending versus Kneading

Is blending your kava just as effective (or better) than kneading it?

• Yes

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • It's complicated

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
I must add that as much as my hands despise it at times..it's really the only "me time" I get..just me and my kava:happy:
My hands seem to not agree with the squeezing ..I've got some dry skin issues on my hands already and that certainly doesn't help ..do you use anything specific. E.g moisturizer

KavaGurl

The Original Kava Forum Mama
Oh I wear gloves everytime so it's not the skin issues..It's the joint, tendon, etc issues that get annoyed..but it's still worth it in the end! :D

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
You could do the rolling pin method (put kava in a ziploc bag with water and roll on it with a pin for as long as you'd knead it). There's still a final squeezing step but it's not nearly as hard on the hands.

I also use corn huskers lotion on my hands a lot. It's the best there is IMO.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I use nitrile gloves for every squeeze. Ever since I noticed my hands drying out like leather in the desert sun I started using them.

KavaGurl

yeah I use standard non latex gloves..and so far my hands have held up well dryness wise with burts bees hand salve..I'm considering giving the rolling pin method a try if need be too ;)

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
Well I work at a hospital so the gloves should be easy to get Ahold of !! And ya I've been interested in trying that method out .I have to admit I find kneading puts me in a mood to drink kava

KavaGurl

Exactly! I work in assisted living so I always end up with a pocket full of gloves..lol

D

Deactivated Account

The big question is though whether the lecithin actually makes that much difference...
I tried lecithin fairly extensively maybe 7-8 years ago when info about kava on the net was gathering speed.

I found personally it did not change anything. Boiling ..as I've recently discovered most certainly does.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I definitely need to start using gloves or trying the rolling pin method...cuz my hands look like they've aged 5 or 10 yrs. They don't really look dry but they're noticeably more wrinkly. Of course, that may be from the actual consumption of kava itself ...or perhaps age is simply catching up to me.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
No, I squeeze kava with my right hand exclusively and it looks noticably gross. I'm going to go back to the rolling pin method.

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
I disagree with any statement that blending creates a sub-par extraction.

The reason I say this is because simple dynamics of kneading is mimic'd by the blender...but X10000
Its like 5 little fingers beating the living crap outta the root, creating a better extraction.

I also knead and squease for a couple minutes after its been in the blender.
I think its better.

Although, I do like the medatative qualities of "stillness" within kneading, which I do purposely for that quality.

Blomdor

Envoy of the Dealfish
I've been blending my kava with roughly a tablespoon of vegetable oil, lately, and the results are...inconclusive. I can't really tell that it's necessarily stronger, and indeed tonight's grog struck me as being less potent than expected (bad stress day, so again bro was OK with it).

Blending and using hot water both have most certainly upped the strength of my drinks, though. The latter makes the grog taste quite awful, though, even to a caveman such as I.

Is lecithin more effective than vegetable oil? I figured they would work similarly, if at all. The latter is much easier to find...I've yet to find lecithin anywhere within the local stores.

P

pjim

I despise the chore of kneading. I am forced to turn my head away and knead at arm's length to avoid gagging over the smell. But the blending somehow is not as peaceful or traditional and makes a mess that I don't feel like cleaning up after a few shells.

D

Deactivated Account

I've yet to find lecithin anywhere within the local stores.
I remember it was hard to find back when I tried it, ended up that any health food shop has it. So just look for the shops that have over dressed people with bad hair.