What's new

New to Kava - Questions - Paradise brand?

T

Tasha R.

@kavadude so if I put it in a blender, we have a ninja, and just hit the button for like 30 seconds then strained it, that would work well?
oh and my husband is 6'1 280. Should I just serve him a 3 tlbs serving right off the bat or is that too much or nothing?

Roaddog

Kava Who?
No, you wouldn't be able to press it down all the way like that and apply significant pressure.

If you don't like the idea of straining, you can blend it or put it in a ziploc bag, seal it and use a rolling pin.
I have heard of others using this rolling pin method, please explain, or provide a link, if you can.
@kavadude so if I put it in a blender, we have a ninja, and just hit the button for like 30 seconds then strained it, that would work well?
oh and my husband is 6'1 280. Should I just serve him a 3 tlbs serving right off the bat or is that too much or nothing?
yes the blender is fine, that's how I do it. Also Sounds like the husband is a big boy. May need an extra scoop. But yes, 3 should get him started. Much love. Roaddog....

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I would recommend 5-10 minutes (may want to break this up a bit so you don't fry the blender), and then do a second wash with fresh water in the same way to get every last bit of kavalactones, but yeah. Make sure to clean the blender well afterwards.

Individual dose is all over the place, both @infraredz who is near 100lbs as I recall and I (used to be 230) use similar amounts. I'd say starting with 4 is fine though.

I have heard of others using this rolling pin method, please explain, or provide a link, if you can.

yes the blender is fine, that's how I do it. Also Sounds like the husband is a big boy. May need an extra scoop. But yes, 3 should get him started. Much love. Roaddog....
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/rolling-pin-method.2503/

I think I'm the only one who does it these days. But between that and squeezing with gloves, my hands no longer look and feel like I'm 80 years old.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Thanks man. this makes a ton of sense.

This is a simple method invented by @Piper Methysticum and written up by @kavadude. It gives you the joy and satisfaction of kneading without making your hands into kava-smelling prunes.

Items needed:
- Rolling pin
- A gallon ziploc bag
- 1/2 cup of kava, give or take a few tbsps. Using more than about 3/4 cup of kava makes it very difficult to roll effectively.
- A flat surface
- Strainer of some kind (I use a Fijian strainner)

Steps:
Put the kava in the ziploc bag. Run your sink as hot as it can go and then pour ~2 cups of water in the bag. Very carefully seal the bag leaving just a tiny opening and lay it on a flat surface, then use the rolling pin to squeeze out all the air while holding it up. Seal the bag completely, and then roll back and forth on it for 10 minutes. Pour out through a strainer and give it a really, really good squeeze. If you have time, re-use the same kava and do a second wash for about 5 minutes. Yum!

If you used too much water, you'll just be chasing water around, whereas it will clump up a lot and be difficult to roll if you didn't use enough. After you do this a few times you'll be able to eyeball exactly how much water you need. You can always add more water.

Be careful. I've never had a bag totally burst on me, but sometimes they seem to develop small leaks.
(View this Page on the Wiki)

Gret way of preparing, thanks to @HeadHodge for his posting.
Much love. Roaddog....

Last edited:

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
3 tbsp...soak it in hot water...then knead it for 30 minutes after it's cooled, put it in a plastic bag and rolling pin it, then stick it in a blender and blend the crap out of it...then add a touch of coconut milk and finally...laugh maniacally. Don't forget to put on a straight face before husband walks back in the room....

And if that doesn't work...We can introduce him to my minion...Mojo...::nowayyyz::

::awesomesmiles::

Roaddog

Kava Who?
3 tbsp...soak it in hot water...then knead it for 30 minutes after it's cooled, put it in a plastic bag and rolling pin it, then stick it in a blender and blend the crap out of it...then add a touch of coconut milk and finally...laugh maniacally. Don't forget to put on a straight face before he walks back in the room....

And if that doesn't work...We can introduce him to my minion...Mojo...::nowayyyz::

::awesomesmiles::
Ho, I see how it is, we are busting out minions now. Shit is getting real up in here. Ok, here is mine. :alien: He has special Kava powers. But can be a little aggressive too. Much love. Roaddog....

T

Tasha R.

I'll probably try the blender first. Should I not add the milk ass I'm blending, but after?

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I don't think it really makes that much difference. As long as it's stirred in it should be fine.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@Roaddog I am happy to have found this place! I'm sure I'll be on here often. I'm sure I will post a good bit.

I have a separete question - I got a french press tea maker, it's only like an 11 ounce. It's so darn cute!! But after getting it specifically for the kava, I slightly doubt it's ability to work like I was imagining. Any ways anyone can think of to make it work??? It's this one here: Amazon product
I've tried a french press "twice". Both were disasters. If you ever figure a way to get kava to work with them, please let me know.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I don't think it really makes that much difference. As long as it's stirred in it should be fine.
Now why are we adding milk exactly? I have never heard of adding milk. Its probably in the Kavapedia, as @HeadHodge , has made me aware of the fact, that I actually need to read them. But man, maybe on slow nights. But lately I'm lucky to keep up with alerts. Much love. Roaddog....

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Oh I was just throwing out methods to make super brew for the husband. Half kidding...sort of.

T

Tasha R.

I realize you want your hubby, to get the most out of his experience. I agree that with @shakas, ...Mahakea from GHK, is one of the best. I have an order of micro coming. But don't dismiss the Amazon Cheap stuff. The link I gave you is good Kava. It often does not get the recognition, I think it deserves. I find it to be some of the best, strongest, kavas out there. I would even go so far to say, its my favorite, kava so far!!!! Now don't get me wrong. I order a lot of kava, from GHK, also. Also I have ordered from BKH. Both are great kavas. I'm just saying, we often just through Wakacon, under the buss. Don't know why, I guess its just because its from Amazon. I find the shipping is fast. usually 3 days. I have a wife who drinks kava, so we go through a lot. I always cant afford 50 bucks a pound. So We drink a lot of the cheap stuff. But if it was bad kava, I would not drink it. As I said before. I find there kava to be as strong as any of the great venders, for half the price. But on that same not, I have some Mahakea Micro, from GHK I'm waiting on the mailman for. So I do it like this, I drink the cheap stuff 4 or 5 days a week. I treat my self to the GHK, or BKH, 2 0r 3 days a week. Always trying to order deferent varieties, from the good venders. Much love. Roaddog...
Just though I'd let you know I got impatient and ordered your suggestion. So what if I've got 2 and a half LBS being delivered from all over the world. i'm going to drink it all. ;)

Mariah

Kava Curious
Newbie here... Just reading thru and trying the rolling pin technique now!
Actually my 3 year old wanted to help, so I let him at it while I make his dinner. ;)
He didn't last 10 minutes on it.. Maybe 2. Guess I could stick it in the blender for a few.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410304088.701343.jpg

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
Hi @Tasha R. and @Mariah ... I'm a newbie too, all I do is mix my 2 tbsp of Kava - which is GHK of Boroguru - with one cup of water, knead for a good 3 mins. And then in a separate bowl I will use the same stocking ( like a panty hose stocking) and rinse again in another cup of water. I caught my first "Krunk" last night, it was different but enjoyable. It was a good "Krunk" as most in this forum would describe it.

Mariah

Kava Curious
Thanks Kava_newbie :) I don't think I'll do the blender or baggie again, felt like too much trouble & extra stuff to clean up. I used cheesecloth to knead & strain it yesterday and earlier today... But I have a fijian strainer on the way so hopefully that'll even be better. I don't think I have any stockings but I could check!

Didn't mean to hijack this thread! :)

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
http://gourmethawaiiankava.com/1.1.html @Mariah

Here's the link that taught me how to make my "grog"...From a Newb to a Newb...it's Newbulous :dead:

FYI...and My opinion... all of these people (Headhodge, Roaddog, kavadude, kapmcrunk, shakas, Deleted User, monkava'd) They are all solid people. The people in this forum are so helpful and informative. They are a tight knit group of people that care about the future of Kava and the benefits it can bring to our daily lives. I came here looking for relief from stress and depression and now there is rarely a day I do not check or join in on a conversation. It's a great community to be a part of.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Thanks Kava_newbie :) I don't think I'll do the blender or baggie again, felt like too much trouble & extra stuff to clean up. I used cheesecloth to knead & strain it yesterday and earlier today... But I have a fijian strainer on the way so hopefully that'll even be better. I don't think I have any stockings but I could check!

Didn't mean to hijack this thread! :)
Hi @Mariah,

I found TIDE laundry bags to work well and you can usually get those at places like walmart, kmart, or targ'et. There are lot's of other "delicates" laundry bags you can buy, but this is the only one I have tried and can vouch for.

Mariah

Kava Curious
Hi @Mariah,

I found TIDE laundry bags to work well and you can usually get those at places like walmart, kmart, or targ'et. There are lot's of other "delicates" laundry bags you can buy, but this is the only one I have tried and can vouch for.
Thanks!! I haven't seen that tip yet. Good idea. :) I might have to get one.