What's new

GSL Technology Kava pills, Gaia Capsules, etc. for insomnia?

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
Last night I used 2 tea bags, and I still had to take 1/4 mg of melatonin to get off to sleep. :(

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
To be frank, any of the active members on this forum shouldn't be/aren't surprised at all from your experiences. The forms of kavas you've decided to use are far from strong, so you likely have only been experiencing something of a placebo effect. There's a lot of kavas out there that are probably just as expensive as the three products you have combined, but are far more powerful. Any 1/2 lb of regular old ground root will sell for $20-30, and it'll last you a while.

Here's a classic (and cheap!) kava from a great vendor:
http://www.drinkkalm.com/kava-root---borogu-sale-.html

The Boroguru or Fiji kava from here will also do the trick for cheap:
http://www.siteskins.net/gourmethawaiiankava/4.html

Keep in mind that these options above will require you to knead/strain the kava. Buy some nylons at the store for $2, throw your kava in there, and tie it off. Knead 1/2 cup of root in 2 cups of water for 10 minutes. Drink 4oz portions from those 2 cups every 15 minutes until it's gone or you feel like you're in a good place. You can even throw your used kava/nylons in another 2 cups and get even more from it.

For a last resort, use these:
Amazon product

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks. Yeah, it may be the placebo effect. Although the tea does make my tongue and lips a little numb, and the kava candy makes my whole mouth numb, so they're at least doing something. I took 2 of the pills last night and slept well.

This morning I seem to have some irritation in my urethra. Would that be more likely a side effect of the kava or the Claritin I've also been taking for the last few days?

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
Fortunately, I think I can actually rule that one out... ;)

Thanks for the links above. I'll look into those options - assuming the occasional pain I've had today is not from the kava I've been using. I'm more of a convenience guy, so the "last resort" actually looks the most attractive.

Last edited:

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
So the urethral irritation was either from the Claritin or the GSL tablets. I haven't taken either one for a couple days now, and it seems to have gone away. I used the Yogi tea last night, so it's at least not from kava in general. I'm going to wait another day or two and then try the GSL tablets again. If it doesn't start hurting again, I'm going to assume it was the Claritin. It had other (not as bothersome) side effects anyway.

verticity

I'm interested in things
So the urethral irritation was either from the Claritin or the GSL tablets. I haven't taken either one for a couple days now, and it seems to have gone away. I used the Yogi tea last night, so it's at least not from kava in general. I'm going to wait another day or two and then try the GSL tablets again. If it doesn't start hurting again, I'm going to assume it was the Claritin. It had other (not as bothersome) side effects anyway.
I've never heard of either kava or Claritin causing that side effect. It could have been an unrelated UTI. -- So I would obviously see a doctor if it comes back -- antibiotics might be in order.

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah, I was going to go to the doctor if it didn't go away after I quit taking the stuff I suspected. It didn't actually hurt while urinating which made it seem like probably not a UTI, but who knows.

And back to the GSL tablets, it sounds like I can use some of my daughter's nail polish remover to test one, after I crush it up, and see what color it turns?

verticity

I'm interested in things
Yeah, I was going to go to the doctor if it didn't go away after I quit taking the stuff I suspected. It didn't actually hurt while urinating which made it seem like probably not a UTI, but who knows.

And back to the GSL tablets, it sounds like I can use some of my daughter's nail polish remover to test one, after I crush it up, and see what color it turns?
Nail polish remover is made out of acetone, but sometimes it also contains coloring. It's better to get some acetone from the hardware store or Home Depot equivalent. It's also kind of hard to interpret the results if you don't have standard nobles and tudeis to compare it to. You could mail some to @Deleted User and he'll test it for you.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I don't think there would be any guarantee that various coloring agents and other things in the tablets would not mess up the test; and there's enough trouble distinguishing anything but pure wichmanii, tudei and noble without a spectrometer.

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah, this (from their website) does sound a bit fishy: "GSL Tech, a California-based company, has been producing vitamins, herbs and dietary supplements for many years. Combined with extensive research and today's exacting technology, GSL Tech is a name that is known for the highest standards of potency, stability and consistency. GSL Tech works with Traditional Chinese Medical companies to research and develop our formulas, with the final product being produced in California."

And they never answered my second e-mail asking for more specifics, which probably isn't a good sign.

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
I've found that when I take the 2 GSL tablets as recommended on the box before I got to bed, it puts me to sleep and I do a lot of dreaming (which I don't do with some of the other sleep aids I've tried). However, it seems that I consistently wake up after only 2 hours and then can't go back to sleep. Would that be because the dosage is so low? I could try taking 4 or more, I suppose.

I've only got half the package left anyway, so I went ahead and ordered the Gaia capsules that were recommended. How many of those should I take to help with sleeping? I expect them early next week.

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
So I tried the Gaia capsules last night. I took 1, and didn't feel anything and was still awake an hour later. I took another, and started feeling it within about 20 minutes, but it still wasn't helping with the sleep. So I took a third. I was feeling pretty nice by then, but my alarm was going to go off in about 5 hours and it didn't feel like sleep was coming, so I gave up and took some melatonin, which did the job.

So is Gaia not the right kind for sleep? Or do I need to take more - or perhaps take at least 3 at once instead of staggered? I'm trying to replace melatonin and the other stuff I typically use, because they all leave me drowsy the next day. Interestingly, although I ended up using melatonin last night, I'm not as drowsy today as normal, so perhaps the kava at least helped with that.

verticity

I'm interested in things
So I tried the Gaia capsules last night. I took 1, and didn't feel anything and was still awake an hour later. I took another, and started feeling it within about 20 minutes, but it still wasn't helping with the sleep. So I took a third. I was feeling pretty nice by then, but my alarm was going to go off in about 5 hours and it didn't feel like sleep was coming, so I gave up and took some melatonin, which did the job.

So is Gaia not the right kind for sleep? Or do I need to take more - or perhaps take at least 3 at once instead of staggered? I'm trying to replace melatonin and the other stuff I typically use, because they all leave me drowsy the next day. Interestingly, although I ended up using melatonin last night, I'm not as drowsy today as normal, so perhaps the kava at least helped with that.
Well, it's kava. It won't knock you out right away. It doesn't really work that way. Plus the fact that Gaia might be a fairly heady strain; I'm not sure what it's chemotype is. Generally during a kava session I'll start out with the "good" feelings, and then after a couple hours maybe feel tired/sleepy. It's a complex experience. You could try taking the kava a few hours before bedtime; right before dinner is a good time.

And yes, I would go ahead and take 3 caps at a time: that would be like drinking one shell of kava.

If you just need to "go to sleep now", melatonin is probably best, maybe cut back the dose to not be as drowsy in the morning.

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
OK, so I got home from work, took 3 capsules, and waited half an hour. Nothing happened. I took another one. Same thing. At this point, dinner was ready, so I ate. After dinner, not wanting to waste what I've already taken, I had a Kava Candy. Still nothing, which I think is weird because I was definitely feeling it last night.

So if I'm not feeling it now, how likely is it going to be that it will still help me go to sleep in a couple hours from now?

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
Well, I actually ended up sleeping very well last night, without having to take anything else. It may have helped that I also biked 22 miles yesterday, but I think it was either mostly from the kava or my brain believed it was enough that it worked (placebo effect). So I'll probably try it again tonight. How often can I do this?

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
If anyone's interested, here's the info on the batch that my Gaia capsules came from. The box says 75 mg of kavalactones per capsule (225 / 3), but apparently this batch tested at 95. For solvents it says USP alcohol and water. What exactly does that mean?

http://meetyourherbs.com/#/id/3447000