What's new

GSL Technology Kava pills, Gaia Capsules, etc. for insomnia?

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
I am new to Kava (and new to this site) and thought I'd give these a try, since they're so inexpensive. These are marketed on Amazon as "Kava Kava Muscle Relaxant and Sleep Aid." I bought a pack of 30 pills for $5.10. They are 500 mg tablets, and 1-2 are recommended to help you sleep. I've been having problems with insomnia, and have been using (in rotation) melatonin, 3 different antihistamines, and have also tried valerian (which didn't help) and chamomile (which seemed to make me restless). I've had a lot of anxiety for the last few months, so what I've read about Kava seems to make it a natural fit.

These pills do seem to work, at least for my purposes. The 3 times I've taken them, they've helped me sleep. They say they are made from whole Kava roots, but don't say what the kavalactone content is. So I sent an e-mail to the company, and was told it is 4%, which I guess means 20 mg per pill. So my 2 pill dose is only 40 mg.

Any opinions on these? They do have mixed reviews:
Amazon product

Last edited:

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
So... Does this seem like it's at least a safe form of kava, or should I be looking for something better? And on nights when I've taken an antihistamine, and it doesn't seem to be enough, is it safe to take kava (or vice versa - kava first and then something else)? How about with melatonin?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I would be wary of kava pill products. A rule of thumb that I go by, is that if the product doesn't provide with a strain designation, or even attempt to convey that the product is made with noble kavas I would stay away. 40mg of kavalactones is a very small amount. Traditionally made kava can range anywhere from 250mg to a gram of kavalactones per serving! (depending on the type of kava, and amount used to make the traditional drink)

You can definitely take it with an antihistamine, and melatonin. I've taken both with kava and had no problems.

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks, it's good to know it's safe to take the other stuff with it if I need to.

I've looked around this site some more, and I notice Kava Candy. It apparently consists of 50 mg tablets that have kava mixed with 2 other herbs. That would be even less potent than the tablets I have, wouldn't it?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The kava candies are actually pretty substantial in effect. If I eat 4 the morning after my nightly grog it brings the kava feeling back full force, as if I just drank another shell. It's a damn good product.

D

Deleted User01

@sumguy, on the Kava candy, let's make sure it is the brand that we are all accustomed too. The ones that I use on occasion are from Ozia. Is that right @Kapmcrunk?

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah, that's the brand that I found for sale here on this site. I actually went to the Ozia site and ordered a $5 sample pack. I figured I'd compare the effects of those to the tablets I have.

I've also sent another e-mail to GSL and asked whether they use noble kava and what their extraction method is.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I've also sent another e-mail to GSL and asked whether they use noble kava and what their extraction method is.
If the KL% is only 4% it might not be extracted at all. Could just be capsules stuffed with kava powder, which would explain the cheapness.

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
If the KL% is only 4% it might not be extracted at all. Could just be capsules stuffed with kava powder, which would explain the cheapness.
So if it's just kava powder made into tablet form (these are actually hard tablets, not capsules), is that good or bad?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Well, 500mg of kava root is practically inert. From the "whole root" language used, I'd guess that is the case, and I'd be surprised if they do anything.

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
They definitely do something. I can feel it take effect about 20 minutes after I take them, but I have to take 2 for it to happen. So far, they're doing what they're supposed to (helping me sleep), but I don't have anything to compare them to otherwise, having not had any other kava experience so far. I've mostly just been a little worried about how safe they are.

verticity

I'm interested in things
30 pills at 500 mg is 15 grams of kava for $5.10 = $0.34 per gram = $340 per kilogram.
Someone please tell me my math is wrong.
If my math is not wrong, you could save a lot of money by buying some powder and making your own capsules with it.

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
Looks like it's available for as little as $1.92 a box if you buy a 6 pack. How much does the powder typically run?

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
You can definitely take it with an antihistamine, and melatonin. I've taken both with kava and had no problems.
I assume this also includes Claritin (just asking because it's a different kind of antihistamine, being taken for apparent allergies rather than trying to sleep)?

Also I noticed this morning that my local Walmart had Yogi Kava herbal tea. I bought some to try it out as well.

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
I know you asked about kava pills, but you also said you were new here so I'll make a suggestion. Have you considered buying some micronized kava? Right now Gourmet Hawaiian Kava has some micronized Nene on sale at half price. http://www.siteskins.net/gourmethawaiiankava/2.1.html

The micronized might provide you with the kava experience you are looking for, without the preparation hassle of the medium grind. Just put a tablespoon or two into your favorite beverage such as chocolate milk, stir, and bottoms up. I have not tried this product, but I am simply pointing out it is available and on sale. There are other micronized kavas. I've read the M'oi is quite good.

Edit: Just found this thread on Nene:
http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/no-love-for-nene.5112/

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestion. Right now my budget is pretty tight (hence the pills, Kava candy, and Yogi tea), but I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Butch

Kava Curious
I've had the yogi tea and candies. The yogi tea is mostly ineffective for me, and i've heard bad things about the pills. The candy, however, is excellent. I can get some nice feelings from just one, two for a complete mood shift. Great on a budget, too. If you have $5 laying around, it's worth a shot.

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
The Kava Candy arrived on Friday, and that was also when I bought the Yogi tea. That night, I tried 1 teabag, and it wasn't quite enough to put me to sleep, so I also had a piece of the candy. That worked great. The next night, I did 2 teabags, which also worked great.

My original purpose in trying kava was for insomnia, but I also do have trouble with stress and anxiety during the day. I was really tempted to have some more of the candy today, but I'm a little worried that if I don't just take it at night, it may not work to help me sleep. I kind of want my body to associate it only with sleep. Is it possible to use it reliably for both?